News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Petaluma west coast FJ1200 Yamica club

Started by MyOwnFJ1200, February 16, 2009, 11:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyOwnFJ1200

Just to let you all know that when we called and reserved our cabin  for the rally this year the person we talked to refered to the group as the FJ1200 Yamica group?!?!?!?! Will someone pleas let me know if my attire will need to change for the rally this year

Thanks confused in Kalama

Marsh White

Good to see you here Brian!  I was wondering when I'd see you here!  No change needed for your dress code...although that is one hat we have not had on public display yet at an FJ rally...I'll have to add that to my "Hats to purchase" list...

the fan

Stryker7

I'm registered to attend and I'm departing for the open road from Tacoma WA.
- If there is anyone in Vancouver, Oregon, or Washington with plans to attend you're welcome to hook-up with me and we'll ride down to the event together.  I-5 is the common freeway we can all meet on at some point on the way down - - a real bitchin alternative would be to take Hwy 101 instead.  Reason: Hwy 101 ride will challenge you as a rider and give you solid braggin rights. Riding for that long on Hwy 101 isn't for newbie riders.
>>Take care>>ride safe.

Klavdy

Umm, Hwy 101 is an introduction to the rides we take at Rallies.
A warm up.
If you are coming down that way, DO NOT MISS HWY 36.
Perhaps you should also look at some vids from last years Rally, the Fort Bragg to Leggett one is but a taste.

Quote from: Stryker7 on February 17, 2009, 03:51:39 PM
- If there is anyone in Vancouver, Oregon, or Washington with plans to attend you're welcome to hook-up with me and we'll ride down to the event together.  I-5 is the common freeway we can all meet on at some point on the way down - - a real bitchin alternative would be to take Hwy 101 instead.  Reason: Hwy 101 ride will challenge you as a rider and give you solid braggin rights. Riding for that long on Hwy 101 isn't for newbie riders.
>>Take care>>ride safe.
"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

pdxfj

Greetings!

I'm down in Porkland.  I take the 5 to Grants Pass then cut over to Crescent City on Hwy 199.  From there 101 is quite rough most of the way to Petaluma.  Make sure your fork seals are in good shape, as one person whom went with me last year blew one on the way down.  On the trip down I break it up into two days.  Sometimes I'll leave in the evening after work and ride to Grants Pass, and stay there for the night.  Or leave the day before (mid day) then ride to Crescent City and stay there for the night.  Hwy 199 between Grants Pass and Crescent City isn't one I'd want to ride at night.

Heading back I usually leave early (6am or so) head south on 101 and get on I-505.  Then onto I-5 and slab it all the way back in one shot.  Takes about 12-13 hours with stops.

So if we can make things work to ride down together that's cool with me.

-Garth
(Mr. Bean)

Quote from: Stryker7 on February 17, 2009, 03:51:39 PM
>>Take care>>ride safe.

Stryker7

I learned the haaard wayyyy NOT to take Hwy 101 for granted (I laid my gray one down on it).  It's the first real Highway built in the U.S. - - in fact it used to be called "Highway 1".  Another name for it is the Coastal Highway of Death.  It's an amazing coastal highway with great scenic views, uphill climbs, downhill curves, unbanked roads,  very windy bridge crossings, changeable weather patterns, and small-large towns.  Yu'd ride through the redwood forest, and see just about everything there is to see.  Highway 101 isn't just about the road challenge.
  BE IT KNOWN: I don't have a trick-bike with radial tires or many of the modern bells and whistles (that many of you have installed over the years you've owned your FJ), and, I will ride Hwy 101 conservative.
Soooo - -If you're a hotdog/trick-rider with a better bike you're welcome to join.  However, be forewarned - - - don't screw with group dynamics, or create unsafe group riding conditions (should you join me) or you'll be told to leave.  I don't mean to be a hard-ass but thats how a riding group rolls.  You're welcome to take chances with your life but not with unwilling others.
      I'll be posting a tenative travel schedule soon with the starting location at Tacoma WA.
I'm projecting 8 hour riding days.  Once the travel schedule is posted - individual hotel reservations at the projected night stops will be up to the individual rider.   If you'd like to join-up and ride together (for the Petaluma rally) send an email to ask4allredh@yahoo.com   Regards to all >> Allen

Stryker7

Ok - heres my tenative trip-plan if anyones interested.  I know not everyone has vacation time to burn so I'm not offended if you can't join-up.  As far as I can tell theres a Holiday Inn at each city - so thats where I'll probably stay till I get to KOA.
Day 1)  26 May 2009/0800pm departure. Depart from Tacoma WA - Drive thru Portland OR then via OR-6 west to pick up Hwy 101. Destination is Lakeside OR.  Estimated riding time = 6hrs 45 min.  This could easily be an 8-10 hr day depending on fuel/food stops.  If I've got no-one to ride with I'll take 101 from Olympia thru to Astoria and beyond instead -a longer trip but worth the effort (let me know if you're interested in this longer more thorough coastal ride as it will change your trip plan).
Day 2)  27 May 2009.  Depart from Lakeside OR via Hwy 101.  Drive thru Redwood Forest - stop and take some pics, look at big trees + visit the tourist trap.  Final destination is Mckinleyville CA.  Total ride-time is only 4.5 hours.  However sightseeing will eat hours away - this is an amazingly beautiful ride, you'll want to cruise and enjoy it.
Day 3)  28 May/Rally start-day- -McKinleyville via 101 to Petaluma CA KOA.  Total ride-time is 4.5 hours.  Time to enjoy the ride and setup your campsite leisurely (grab a few brews).
Return is up to you.  I'm going to run I-5 back to Tacoma WA on the 31st - I'll probably rack in Portland that night, & finish in Tacoma.

pdxfj

Hmmmm...  Riding the Oregon Coast on 101 can very slow going.  Epically central and southern.  Lots of blue hair driving motor homes 20+mph under the limit.

I'll most likely take off from work on the 27th and ride to Grants Pass.  I'm not sure I'll have any vacation time built back up by then so this rally might be time off with out pay.   :P

Sounds like we could ride back north together.  Long haul, but not bad if you are in the right mindset.

Klavdy

Had to "Lay 'er down" eh?
Bummer.
You ride at your own pace mate, whatever you feel comfortable at.
There will be fast guys, medium guys and slow guys, hell, we have guys on Hayabusas & R1's that just poke along, and guys on ratty old cruisers that keep up with the faster group.
Don't worry if you get left behind by quicker riders, they will wait for you.
It's also best not to tell others how to roll, better that you fuck off if you don't like the established group riding dynamics.
So, it's eyes on the mirrors and let the better riders through, have fun and they'll wait for you.
Got it you tit?

Quote from: Stryker7 on February 21, 2009, 04:24:04 PM
I learned the haaard wayyyy NOT to take Hwy 101 for granted (I laid my gray one down on it).  It's the first real Highway built in the U.S. - - in fact it used to be called "Highway 1".  Another name for it is the Coastal Highway of Death.  It's an amazing coastal highway with great scenic views, uphill climbs, downhill curves, unbanked roads,  very windy bridge crossings, changeable weather patterns, and small-large towns.  Yu'd ride through the redwood forest, and see just about everything there is to see.  Highway 101 isn't just about the road challenge.
  BE IT KNOWN: I don't have a trick-bike with radial tires or many of the modern bells and whistles (that many of you have installed over the years you've owned your FJ), and, I will ride Hwy 101 conservative.
Soooo - -If you're a hotdog/trick-rider with a better bike you're welcome to join.  However, be forewarned - - - don't screw with group dynamics, or create unsafe group riding conditions (should you join me) or you'll be told to leave.  I don't mean to be a hard-ass but thats how a riding group rolls.  You're welcome to take chances with your life but not with unwilling others.
      I'll be posting a tenative travel schedule soon with the starting location at Tacoma WA.
I'm projecting 8 hour riding days.  Once the travel schedule is posted - individual hotel reservations at the projected night stops will be up to the individual rider.   If you'd like to join-up and ride together (for the Petaluma rally) send an email to ask4allredh@yahoo.com   Regards to all >> Allen
"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

DeGremlin

They even wait for you if you make a wrong turn and end up waaaaay out in the Redwoods with Bigfoot lurking around and stuff.  Err... Well actually I didn't make a wrong turn... I just didnt make a right turn.  I went straight.  :)  Point being... nobody gets left behind.  I think Klavdy's patience wanes while waiting for you to pass a logging truck on the sweep turns though.  LOL  I felt very left behind on that part of the route for some reason.  Bout 14 bikes passed me in 12 seconds flat on that one.