News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Parts/Equipment reviews

Started by Targan, July 31, 2014, 09:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Targan

Hey guys,

I'm suggesting we should add a section to review parts and equipment for our FJs. Exhausts, batteries, chains, sprockets, tires, etc. On other sites where I've been that kind of section is most helpful to newcomers in getting started with upgrading and replacing old parts. It allows them to search through a much smaller section of parts instead of browsing the endless "modifications" section. It's nice when you don't have to ask a question about parts and wait for answers, and instead just read immediately the experience others have had with them. Thoughts?

Arnie

Targan,

That's not a "bad idea", but.....
The FJ was pretty damn good when manufactured, and most of the real improvements 'needed' are suspension and wheels.
These have been covered many times and if you're interested a search will bring the past reviews and comments up.
There are few choices of other accessories that are available and work for the FJ.
There are a only couple of exhausts available, with the RPM unit about to join the choice.
Chains need to be best available which limits your choice to the heaviest duty EK, DID, and maybe Tsubaki
Sprockets need to be steel, and for general street use are limited to 17 or 18t c/s with 39-42t for the rear.  All the permutations there work just fine and differ only marginally in acceleration or economy or relaxed engine note.

I think your "reviews" section would really just mirror the current "mods" section in very short order.

Arnie

Targan

Quote from: Arnie on July 31, 2014, 09:27:52 PM
Targan,

That's not a "bad idea", but.....
The FJ was pretty damn good when manufactured, and most of the real improvements 'needed' are suspension and wheels.
These have been covered many times and if you're interested a search will bring the past reviews and comments up.
There are few choices of other accessories that are available and work for the FJ.
There are a only couple of exhausts available, with the RPM unit about to join the choice.
Chains need to be best available which limits your choice to the heaviest duty EK, DID, and maybe Tsubaki
Sprockets need to be steel, and for general street use are limited to 17 or 18t c/s with 39-42t for the rear.  All the permutations there work just fine and differ only marginally in acceleration or economy or relaxed engine note.

I think your "reviews" section would really just mirror the current "mods" section in very short order.

Arnie

Thanks for the feedback, I see what you mean. I was kind of going for the "Easier to sort through Mods section".  :lol: All I know is that I've bought a few pieces of gear I'd love to review, but I guess I'll just put it in Modifications.

Arnie

Targan,

I'm not trying to stop you or others from letting us know about a product that is good (or bad).
I'll be interested in reading what you've found to be worth sharing.
If possible, please include a URL so that any who want more info or to purchase can find a source.

Cheers,
Arnie

Maticuno

I second a review section.  I've written a number of tire reviews on TacomaWorld (same username), and plan to do a writeup on the new rubber I'm putting on my FJ...just not sure where to put it.
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
1984 FJ1100