News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Electrical problem

Started by superman, November 18, 2009, 08:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superman

I recently bought an 84 fj1100. It was running fine but the side stand relay was bad. I tried to bypass it and poof, no spark. I replaced it and still no spark. I replaced the TCI and still no spark. I am no expert by a long shot on electrical problems. please help.

Dan Filetti

There's a decent chance that it's as simple as the starter switch not coming all the way out...  Either way it's worth a clean and lube.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

FeralJuggernaut

check and clean your clutch sensor and kill switch.   If you jumpered the sidestand connection, it won't be the issue anymore.   can you put it in neutral and get spark?    Check the main fuse?   how do you know there is no spark (what testing method)?   is the replacement TCI a 'known good' item?

Lets start there. . .
-----------
Safety Fast

superman

Quote from: FeralJuggernaut on November 18, 2009, 11:31:34 PM
check and clean your clutch sensor and kill switch.   If you jumpered the sidestand connection, it won't be the issue anymore.   can you put it in neutral and get spark?    Check the main fuse?   how do you know there is no spark (what testing method)?   is the replacement TCI a 'known good' item?

Lets start there. . .

I appreciate the quick and valid responses,however I am not a patient man. I unwound the wiring harness and discovered alot of bypasses and broken wires. I am surprised that it ever started in the first place. Anyway, a few fuses and splice clips with some careful wiring diagram reading, the problem is solved and I am on the road again.