News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

FJ TIRES AND COMMUTING

Started by 1989FJ1200, November 18, 2009, 08:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigo

Quote from: roverfj1200 on November 28, 2009, 03:04:54 PM
The GSXR1000 90-92 is about as close to bolt on as one will get.

Hey Rover,

Can you give us any details, photos, ect on how one goes about mounting the GSXR wheel to the FJ?  The rear wheel sure looks great.  As well as your bike!!  :good2:

Thanks,

Craig O
CraigO
90FJ1200

Harvy

Craigo.....here is an earlier post with a pdf file for the GSXR rear wheel conversion.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=678.0

Harvy

FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

craigo

Thanks Harvey,

That all sounds to easy.  No machining, just get some washers and it all bolts up.  Wow, even I think I can handle that one. :biggrin:

Craig
CraigO
90FJ1200

roverfj1200

Quote from: craigo on November 29, 2009, 09:47:49 AM
Thanks Harvey,

That all sounds to easy.  No machining, just get some washers and it all bolts up.  Wow, even I think I can handle that one. :biggrin:

Craig

Very easy.. If you get the whole brake set-up with the brake stay you can put a longer bolt in the right hand foot peg mount and put the brake stay on that. No welding, grinding or anything straight bolt on.

1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

Harvy

Quote from: craigo on November 29, 2009, 09:47:49 AM
Thanks Harvey,

Craig

Craig, IF I remember correctly, the brake stay arm will need off-setting at the forward mounting point to clear the tyre. 8mm seems to ring a bell....I think both Arnie and Rover run this wheel, so they will know.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

craigo

The PDF stated that you could bolt the GSXR stay arm to the centerstand mount.  Again, it all sounds too easy.  Even for my limited skills.  Now I just have to find a GSXR wheel and brake system.

Thanks again for all the guidance.

Craig
CraigO
90FJ1200

capitanoinsano

I have had Michelin Macadam radials cup badly up front in 4000 miles.  Proper tire pressure always.  I now have a Pilot up front and the Macadam in back (still fine).  I am suspicious that radials may cup more easily than bias?  Could this be aggrevated by the somewhat narrow 3.0 x 17 rim on my 89, which was originally intended for bias tires?  I am putting an FZR1000 Genesis wheel up front over the winter (hopefully).  I am hoping that the wider rim (3.5 in vs 3.0 in) will stiffen up the tire and maybe reduce the cupping.  Also the front end should feel more rigid.

craigo

BTW, can I use the OEM FJ axel or do I have to get the GSXR?  I didn't see that mentioned.

Craig
CraigO
90FJ1200

Arnie

Quote from: craigo on November 30, 2009, 05:47:25 PM
BTW, can I use the OEM FJ axel or do I have to get the GSXR?  I didn't see that mentioned.

Craig
[/quCraiote]

Use the FJ axle.  Depending on year, the GSXR wheel may be 4.5 - 5.5 inches wide.  (actually the latest GSXR's use a 6" wheel).  If you get a 4.5" wheel you can use a 160 or 170 tire.  With the 5.5" wheel, you'll have to offset the c/s sprocket and be careful with your choice of 180 wide tires.  Some (esp Dunlop) makes are significantly wider than the nominal size.

Cheers,
Arnie

pdxfj

I run the Pilot Power up front on the stock 3x17 FJ wheel (89+) and have no cupping issues.  I ran my last Power down to the wear bars and it still looked great.  I think a couple of others run the Powers also and haven't had any cupping issues either.

Quote from: capitanoinsano on November 29, 2009, 11:01:04 PM
I have had Michelin Macadam radials cup badly up front in 4000 miles.  Proper tire pressure always.  I now have a Pilot up front and the Macadam in back (still fine).  I am suspicious that radials may cup more easily than bias?  Could this be aggrevated by the somewhat narrow 3.0 x 17 rim on my 89, which was originally intended for bias tires?  I am putting an FZR1000 Genesis wheel up front over the winter (hopefully).  I am hoping that the wider rim (3.5 in vs 3.0 in) will stiffen up the tire and maybe reduce the cupping.  Also the front end should feel more rigid.

threejagsteve

Just out of curiosity... Everyone talks about the Pilot Power and Road, but I hardly hear a peep about the Pilot Sport, although the Michelin site positions it between the first two and it comes in sizes for the 3.5/5.5 and 3.5/6.0 setups. Is there something I missed?
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

the fan

The pilot sport is an older and outdated design. It worked well if you had the time to wait for it to heat up. You didn't need anything fancy to time it. a sundial would do. Odd that it didn't last any longer than tires that worked well within a few minutes of the start of the ride, but once it worked it was as good as anything else out there at the time.

roverfj1200

Quote from: craigo on November 30, 2009, 05:47:25 PM
BTW, can I use the OEM FJ axel or do I have to get the GSXR?  I didn't see that mentioned.

Craig

Yes you use the stock axle. Will put up some pixs later..

Cheers
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

threejagsteve

Quote from: the fan on December 01, 2009, 09:12:24 PM

The pilot sport is an older and outdated design. It worked well if you had the time to wait for it to heat up. You didn't need anything fancy to time it. a sundial would do. Odd that it didn't last any longer than tires that worked well within a few minutes of the start of the ride, but once it worked it was as good as anything else out there at the time.

OIC... Thanks, Bill.

They're now selling the Sport HPX - maybe a new compound, or maybe just a new marketing gimmick.

Happened to run across this rather amusing post on a 'Busa forum:

"I run the power 2ct's and am in love with them. ...on the grip side, a friend on a yammy proposed he could burn better than i. i burned off once, pulled forward, tried to burn again and got drug all the hell over the parking lot."

Now I'm not one to go wasting good rubber, but imagine the look on that dude's face...  :rofl2:
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

Fred

Quote from: capitanoinsano on November 29, 2009, 11:01:04 PM
I have had Michelin Macadam radials cup badly up front in 4000 miles.  Proper tire pressure always. 

Which Macadam were you running? I've run them since I got my FJ and while cupping was definitely something to watch for, they got progressively better later in the series. The 100x I ran before my wheel swap, was down to the wear bars before there was any cupping and that was only minor. I found that being on the high side of proper tire pressure helped a lot too.