News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Starter motor switch problem

Started by Evilpete, August 17, 2014, 02:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evilpete

The starter motor cut off wiring has been bypassed by a previous owner so now if you press the starter button with the ignition off it will still turn the engine over it won't start the bike it's just not something I want it to do. I think it was bypassed because the relay is shot, is the relay a Yamaha only part or can I use a off the shelf one to get the bike back to normal? Any help would be great.
Cheers from pete

movenon

I think any 12 volt starter relay could be used that will fit in the space you have. It is just a simple stater relay.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

yosemite

which relay?
is it the starter ignition lockout relay under left hand side of fairing?(next to the flasher relay). If so it is a yam part,on mine part no is 4u8-81950

the following is a link to what else it fits, you might find one on the bay of evil  (Ebay)

<<http://www.boats.net/search/?q=4u8-81950&x=20&y=18>>

Yosemite

Evilpete

Yes think it is the lockout relay will try and find a replacement and keep you posted, if I can undo the botch job one of the previous owners did

FJ_Hooligan

If the motor is cranking over then the starter relay IS working.  

Sounds to me like the problem is that the relay is being activated by a wire that's not switched (hot all the time).  
DavidR.