News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Choke Cable

Started by Tuxracer, November 19, 2009, 04:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxracer

I need to replace the choke cable on my '85 so I have everything off but trying to disconnect the cable from the choke lever. I'm trying to remove the left-hand switch assembly, removed the two screws but it doesn't seem to want to pull apart. I don't want to force it so am I missing something?

FJmonkey

If you mean by choke lever you mean the choke knob. It is secured by a very small screw that can be seen by looking from the fuel tank at a low viewing angle towards the knob (pulled out to full choke). If the screw is stock then you will need a small regular screw driver to remove it. If it is not stock then you will need to determine what was used in place of the OEM fastener. It screws through the knob and into the threaded end of the choke cable. Otherwise you might mean the plastic cover piece that simply snaps into the hole in the vent piece. That just pops out after the knob is removed.  :drinks:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

tqmx1

The FJ1100 had a choke lever on the left bar along with the horn/ turn signal& high beam switch. Any info from a FJ1200 does not apply.

As per the switch,I think after you have the screws out you can split the switch far enough apart that you can slip it off the bar after you take off the bar end & grip. If the switch assembly is old and tired the G1 FZ1 has the same assembly just newer and updated.

Good luck with the cable the one time I had mine apart it was a BITCH to get back togther

gp1

on my 84 1100 i had to remove the two screws then counter weight from the end of the handlebar then handgrip.remove the cable from the carbs then turn the choke lever clockwise you will feel it click and then it just unclips from the running groove. its very easy, and it simple to install the new cable.
84 fj 1100
91 yx 600 radian

Tuxracer

Thanks! The bar end is proving to be a pig. The bar end has an outer hex and a smaller inner hex, just can't seem to find an allen wrench to fit. I have one to fit the large one but it won't budge. Guessing the small one has to come out first?

racerman_27410

Quote from: Tuxracer on November 24, 2009, 05:03:46 PM

Thanks! The bar end is proving to be a pig. The bar end has an outer hex and a smaller inner hex, just can't seem to find an allen wrench to fit. I have one to fit the large one but it won't budge. Guessing the small one has to come out first?

its just stuck.... the large hex is all you need. Well that and some determination..... hopefully its not really seized like one i had a few years ago..... i wound up having to take a pipe wrench to that one.

obviously i keep anti sieze on the threads now.... live and learn brother, live..... and .... learn    :dash1:

KOokaloo!   :good2:

KOokaloo!

Tuxracer

Got it, just needed a little convincing. New cable on & all back together  TY :good2:

racerman_27410

Right on Right on!    :good2:

KOokaloo!