News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Valve lifter (/bucket) removal

Started by universalhat, August 18, 2014, 09:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Ron

Quote from: universalhat on August 23, 2014, 05:18:16 PM
Okay, I'm trying real hard here.  Hopefully these pictures come across OK.

The pistons, post cleaning.  I started to feel that to remove the last little bit of carbon buildup was going to cause more problems than the carbon itself - so I guess if it really bugs me I can try one of several products meant to go into the engine while it's running, and see if that takes care of the last little bit.  In all likelihood, I will ignore those black marks forever.

Heavy duty oven cleaner works wonders on the carbon buildup on the top of pistons.  Here's a shot of "piston 1" clean next to piston 2:

Have at it man!   :biggrin:
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

ribbert

Quote from: universalhat on October 20, 2014, 08:43:44 PM

Ye gods, the motorcycle turned into bags of parts and then back into a motorcycle...  How'd that even happen?

Holy cats!

I love that line.

Well done on the rebuild. No motor is ever as sweet as the one you build yourself.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: ribbert on October 21, 2014, 05:44:12 AM
No motor is ever as sweet as the one you build yourself.

Noel

You should Copyright your catchphrase.  :smile:
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

universalhat

Quote from: Capn Ron on October 20, 2014, 11:30:02 PM
Heavy duty oven cleaner works wonders on the carbon buildup on the top of pistons.  Here's a shot of "piston 1" clean next to piston 2:

Have at it man!   :biggrin:

Woah, that worked...  Way better than what I tried.  I scrubbed and scrubbed with nylon bristle brushes, then put 'em in an ultrasonic cleaner with a drop of dish detergent.  Seemed to do the job pretty well without pitting 'em noticeably, but after a few days of on-off-on-off the progress seemed to stop, so I called the rest of the debris "probably not harmful."
Next time(!), I'll probably go with oven cleaner.  Ain't no chemicals better than chemicals with a big warning reading "if this gets in your eyes or on your skin, even momentarily, it's the very end for you."
1990 FJ1200

1979 CB750K, but we're not here to talk about that :P

ribbert

Quote from: universalhat on October 22, 2014, 07:03:25 PM

Ain't no chemicals better than chemicals with a big warning reading "if this gets in your eyes or on your skin, even momentarily, it's the very end for you."

Haha, so true, and conversely, any that mentions being friendly to the environment or has "bio" anything somewhere on the label, doesn't work.

Noel.
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

movenon

Funny you say that.  I was with another FJ member at the local Cycle Gear store this morning and seen a can of   "Biodegradable Chain Lube" and my first passing thought was the same.  If it has "Bio" in the name don't touch it, don't look at it, pretend your eyes didn't see it and get as much distance as you can from it  :drinks:
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

universalhat

Quote from: movenon on October 22, 2014, 08:56:22 PM
Funny you say that.  I was with another FJ member at the local Cycle Gear store this morning and seen a can of   "Biodegradable Chain Lube" and my first passing thought was the same.  If it has "Bio" in the name don't touch it, don't look at it, pretend your eyes didn't see it and get as much distance as you can from it  :drinks:
George

...Or any lubricant being sold with the word "degradable" attached to it.
Degrading is exactly the opposite of what I want that to do.
1990 FJ1200

1979 CB750K, but we're not here to talk about that :P