News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

loosing clutch fluid

Started by red-beard86, August 23, 2014, 11:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red-beard86

hi, :bye: new here.... first off.... i love my fj, just under 20k 1986 1200 supposedly built to 1310(not sure), flat slide makunis.... dont get to ride her now cause.... well dont have license at the moment :crazy:.... i had noticed awhile back when i rode it i lost clutch fluid at one point, filled it back up and was good :).... went out the other day and started her up... started right up and purred like a kitten.... the only bad thing is, i no longer have clutch fluid in it... it has leaked out somewhere but not on the outside... FIRST NUMBER #1 CONCERN... if it is leaking inside, would it mix with the oil? :bomb: second concern is where should i be looking for a leak on the inside?  :mail1: :dash1: :dash2: :shout:    help would be nice!!!

FJmonkey

The clutch slave is the first place to look. Near the Left foot peg and forward, the paint will be pealing off or bubbling up. Not good for the lower fairing if you still have one. The Dot fluid will leak to the ground (or lower fairing if you have one). It is not hard to rebuild and RPM has new ones if you want to go that way. I rebuilt mine a few years ago and it is still good. At some point I will need a new one, and my back up lower fairing will be handy as well...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

red-beard86

so you are saying it would be leaking out if it was leaking inside there cause i have no leak anywhere on the outside

KENFJ110085

hi red-beard86,

listen to fjmonkey, he's very much right, clutch fluid could never go inside your engine and most of of the times when you lose clutch fluid, its the clutchslave how leaks, ofcause the clutch master and hose can leak too, but it's very seldom this happen..  When you take of the clutchslave, remove also the sprocketcover and clean cover, engine and clutch push rod for tick greasy oil/dirt..  change the oilseal for clutch push rod in same time when you rebuild the cluchslave..  Add new clutch fluid, bleed the clutch(slave) and you wil be ready to ride.....

cheers  :drinks:
ken

red-beard86

alrighty, thank you both very much!!  ill update when i get around to doing so which will prolly be the weekend. thanks again!!!