News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Oahu, HI vs Laramie County, WY

Started by Bminder, September 20, 2014, 12:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bminder

My wife and I went to Hawaii and stayed on the north shore of Oahu for the first time and loved it.  But I got curious as to how big Oahu is compared to the Laramie County, Wyo where I live.
Oahu is about 600 square miles with a population of just under 1,000,000 which includes Honolulu, the largest city in Hawaii.
Laramie County is about 2600 square miles with a population of 91,000 which includes Cheyenne, the largest city in Wyo.

Those facts just amaze me.
My county is over 4 times larger than Oahu and, and Oahu has more than 10 times the population.
Yet Oahu is filled with all kinds of amazing places and things to see, while Laramie County is filled with... antelope.

Just wanted to share that.
Billy Minder
92 FJ1200 ABS

Country Joe

Just one of the reasons I loved living in Wyoming. If I didn't want to see anybody, there are plenty of places to go and do just that.

Joe
1993 FJ 1200

Bminder

Well, I know of some desolate spots in Wyoming where you could put the whole island of Oahu and no one would find it for months.
Billy Minder
92 FJ1200 ABS

FJ_Hooligan

Did you drive anywhere?  You were probably okay if you stayed on the North Shore (the shrimp trucks are awesome!).

Rush hour on in and out of Honolulu is a 24 hour event.  After 50 years of anticipation I had my first trip to Hawaii last year.  Waikiki was a big disappointment.  I'm sure it was much better 40 years ago when Elvis was filming movies there, but the beach and water was a real letdown, way too rocky.

Pearl Harbor was just incredible, though.  Next time I'll spend all my time on the big island.
DavidR.

movenon

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on September 20, 2014, 09:27:20 PM
Did you drive anywhere?  You were probably okay if you stayed on the North Shore (the shrimp trucks are awesome!).

Rush hour on in and out of Honolulu is a 24 hour event.  After 50 years of anticipation I had my first trip to Hawaii last year.  Waikiki was a big disappointment.  I'm sure it was much better 40 years ago when Elvis was filming movies there, but the beach and water was a real letdown, way too rocky.

Pearl Harbor was just incredible, though.  Next time I'll spend all my time on the big island.

The place is like New York City, better flying over it on the way to somewhere else.   :good2:  Looks great from over 20,000 plus feet.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Pat Conlon

I know some folks who live on Oahu.

When they visit (often) they can't wait and get on a motorcycle and tour Momument Valley, Az. and the wide open country of the western US.

They call it 'Island Fever' and it's real.

Hawaii is beautiful and a nice place to visit, but.... Give me the open roads of the southwestern US any day. :good:
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Arnie

Hmmmm, that means Wyoming has 35 people per sq mi. (on average)  91,000people/2600 sq mi.

Australia has a population of ~ 23M and an area of 2957489 sq mi. 
That means a population density of 7.76867 people per sq mi.

Makes Wy sound positively crowded. :-)

And, when you figure that 95% of Australians live in the 5 major capitol cities (metropolitan areas), the other 5% are scattered (unevenlly) in the rest of the country very sparsely.

Did you say you wanted to "get away from it all" ?  :pardon:

Bminder

Quote from: Arnie on September 21, 2014, 01:15:19 AM
Hmmmm, that means Wyoming has 35 people per sq mi. (on average)  91,000people/2600 sq mi.

Australia has a population of ~ 23M and an area of 2957489 sq mi. 
That means a population density of 7.76867 people per sq mi.

Makes Wy sound positively crowded. :-)

And, when you figure that 95% of Australians live in the 5 major capitol cities (metropolitan areas), the other 5% are scattered (unevenlly) in the rest of the country very sparsely.

Did you say you wanted to "get away from it all" ?  :pardon:

But you are comparing the most populated county in Wyoming to Australia.
The state of Wyoming's population density is 5.8 per square mile, which is less than Australia.
The largest city in Wyo is Cheyenne at 61,000 people.  The whole state has only 550,000 or so.
Billy Minder
92 FJ1200 ABS

movenon

"They call it 'Island Fever' and it's real."  +1

Stay on the plane and go to OZ...  There is a reason I like all the straight long roads in Nevada.  Curves are good also but there is something about and endless road..
George

The only problem with Hwy 50 is to much traffic :)..  :drinks:

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Arnie

Bminder said,
"But you are comparing the most populated county in Wyoming to Australia.
The state of Wyoming's population density is 5.8 per square mile, which is less than Australia.
The largest city in Wyo is Cheyenne at 61,000 people.  The whole state has only 550,000 or so."

You want to compare just a single state? :-)  OK, how about this?

The Northern Territory of Australia has an area of 548,640 sq mi, and a population of 211,985 (as of 2011)
That give a population density of, 0.38638 people per sq mi.   :sarcastic:
I'll even concede that the population might have increased since then by maybe 10%   :yahoo:

Capn Ron

Los Angeles COUNTY now has over 10 million people in an area just over 4,000 sq mi.  You guys are talking about .3, 6, 10 people per square mile???  Try 2,100 people per square mile!   :shok:  If just 10% of them are a-holes, the APSM factor is 210!!!  No wonder I like long motorcycle touring!   :good2: 
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.