News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

A pair of projects

Started by Urban_Legend, September 25, 2014, 08:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban_Legend

Hi All I am now the owner of 2 FJ1100, both of which need extensive work. I am based in Grafton, Australia. I am currently doing a full tear down of one of my FJ's (using the other as a map to put it back together again) I am planning on doing one with all the plastic's (but not factory colours) and the other as a street fighter style. Now before you all cry sacrilege, I am building these to please me and for my enjoyment. (its not what you ride, but that you ride). Hope to show some in progress photos 

The bike pictured was running and the other was missing a few bits. I have transferred the missing bit over to the other bike, and have managed to get noise out of it too (sigh of relief). Bike "a" is now getting completely pulled down and cleaned up. Thinking Orange and black for colours
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

fj1289

Quote from: Urban_Legend on September 25, 2014, 08:28:04 AM
Hi All I am now the owner of 2 FJ1100, both of which need extensive work. I am based in Grafton, Australia. I am currently doing a full tear down of one of my FJ's (using the other as a map to put it back together again) I am planning on doing one with all the plastic's (but not factory colours) and the other as a street fighter style. Now before you all cry sacrilege, I am building these to please me and for my enjoyment. (its not what you ride, but that you ride). Hope to show some in progress photos 

The bike pictured was running and the other was missing a few bits. I have transferred the missing bit over to the other bike, and have managed to get noise out of it too (sigh of relief). Bike "a" is now getting completely pulled down and cleaned up. Thinking Orange and black for colours

Don't be so quick to assume we are a bunch of restoration ninnies - modication is a very well practiced game here!

That said, the FJ frame presents some challenges for a good streetf

Urban_Legend

I know. With the way the frame goes around the forks it makes it interesting. If I get the balance wrong, the bike will look crap. A lot of fjs I have seen done have got the balance wrong and the lights seem to hang out where they don't belong. There is a guy on the forum with an Orange and black fighter that is close to balanced and was aiming for that.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Capn Ron

Quote from: Urban_Legend on September 25, 2014, 07:23:34 PM
There is a guy on the forum with an Orange and black fighter that is close to balanced and was aiming for that.

Yeah, nothing wrong with turning a "parts bike" into a runner!   :good2:

Do you have a pic link to that one?  I'd like to see what you're aiming for...
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

Urban_Legend

Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

fj1289

Quote from: fj1289 on September 25, 2014, 07:07:29 PM

Don't be so quick to assume we are a bunch of restoration ninnies - modification is a very well practiced game here!

That said, the FJ frame presents some challenges for a good streetfighter build -  but not impossible to do well.  Look around and you'll find a couple recent fighter builds on here and a couple older ones as I recall.  And a turbo chopper build...

That's what it was supposed to have been posted! 

Most of the fighters so far have been done on the cheap -- which is great because it shows builder skill and imagination and craftsmanship, but I'd like to see one incorporate some of the suspension and brake and wheel upgrades fairly common on this site.  And a 1349 engine...and a nitrous kit....or a turbo.....and.....

Urban_Legend

I have a friend with a turbo fj1100. He said the one time he rode, it scared the shitout of him.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Bones

What about this one, I reckon it looks cool.

93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

Urban_Legend

I love it. Could be out of my non-existent budget though. But that is what I am aspiring too. Just researching upgrading the suspension and would like a new cap for the tank. Will later model fuel tanks fit the 84 FJ?
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Bones

Not sure, I know later models are 22 litre compared to the 84's 24 litre, and later models had a beefier frame, but the mounting points I assume should be the same. Maybe someone who's done it will chime in.

Tony.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

jscgdunn

Fuel tanks will inter-change up to 87 for sure as we have done it...as well they are all gravity feed with vacuum petcock.  I assume they interchange for all models...but you never know until you try.

Jeff
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

fj1289

Quote from: Urban_Legend on September 26, 2014, 12:54:12 AM
I love it. Could be out of my non-existent budget though. But that is what I am aspiring too. Just researching upgrading the suspension and would like a new cap for the tank. Will later model fuel tanks fit the 84 FJ?

Yes - I run an 84 tank on my 89 and vice versa -- but I do run pingle fuel valves on each.  The adaptor block was different for each - the distance between mounting holes are different.

Urban_Legend

All right....the bike is now apart. The only thing left together is the engine. (which will get a freshen up later). Time to clean it all up and to start gathering new parts. I would like to upgrade the suspension (dollars count).

What is the most painless, cost effective and straight forward upgrade?
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

FJmonkey

Rock on dude, the FJ karma will keep you in the universal Kookaloo zone.....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side