News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Requested PTSD Eval

Started by Lotsokids, November 21, 2014, 02:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotsokids

Hey guys. I've finally requested an evaluation by a U.S. doctor here at our air base. Lately I have been very negative about everything and don't seem to enjoy literally anything. It's been very bad in the last couple weeks. I'm nearing my second anniversary of my nearly fatal car crash. Details here: http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=8573.0

Anyway, my wife said I have been a different man for the last two years and maybe I need to get checked out. I did a short search for PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) symptoms. A report from the Mayo Clinic (where they repaired me) said that PTSD shows itself in four major forms. In one form, I fit the descriptions nearly perfectly. Still waiting for the doc to reply.

It's sure been a long road. Glad I'm alive, and God's been good. But I have permanent things to deal with. Scars like you wouldn't believe, can only use half of my mouth to talk, and now psychological stuff. I'm very rooted in my faith. And I think one of the things I was supposed to learn is that sometimes there are physical and/or psychological problems you need to get help with. Before my accident, if a "person of faith" had despair, stress, or depression issues, I might not have had much grace and thought that person's faith was not very strong. I certainly do not believe that now.

I'm rambling. God is good, all the time. That is all.
U.S. Air Force sport bike instructor (initial cadre), 2007-2009

I'm an American living & working in Hungary

Bminder

Hey Mark,
I wish I had some awesome encouraging inspiring words to say but I feel blank.  I think it's a good thing to talk to the docs and explore all possibilities like PTSD.  It sounds like there might have been a brain injury to some extent that has changed your personality some.  I've heard it happening before.  So getting treatment, talking, and searching for answers is a good thing, good on ya!
A friend of mine was a combat medic and had to respond to many gruesome crashes, and he suffers from PTSD with nightmares the whole nine yards. One thing that helps him is sitting down with someone and just talking about stuff.

Anyhow, I'll be praying for you too.
God bless,
Billy
Billy Minder
92 FJ1200 ABS

cclase

Mark, while I could say "oh man, sorry", I'd rather thank you for leading from the front and being transparent about your situation.  You've identified a problem and are taking proactive steps to address it.  We could all benefit by following your example.  It took me about 20 years to actually get help dealing with some junk...anger being just part of it (and as you saw in my earlier posting, apparently I still have room for improvement)  :dash2:, not because I didn't acknowledge that there were problems, but because I was more concerned about appearing weak or whatever (I mean, no self respecting green beret needs help dealing with stuff like that, right?)...stupid.  As my wife points out, life is messy and full of "growth opportunities"...to which generally I guess there's two basic responses:
"this sucks, why me?"
vs.
"this sucks, now what am I gonna do/supposed to learn?"

I don't always choose the right course, but at least it's on my radar now when I choose poorly and I try do do something about it.  I appreciate you!

Chris
ps-2 girls, 4 boys
1985 FJ1100

movenon

Good for you on exploring the situation. I have been around 2 big time trauma events in my family and trauma is just that, trauma. There is pain, damage, stress and sometimes more stress than you can believe. The good news is we live in an age where there is lots of information and help available.  Read, talk about it, listen and explore the possibility's.  I am telling you that life is way to short to be on a stupid track like not asking for a little help.  :good2: :drinks:
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

anson45

Mark,
    I walked away from a "ditch dive" on a moonless spring night in 1975. For years I couldn't ride at night at all. I didn't even begin to know why for almost ten years. Even now I'm affected. It might take longer than you want it to take, just hang in there. You will be in my prayers for a while.
Anson
1980 XS650SG (Sold after 24 years of fun.)
1981 XS650H
1983 XVZ1200 (original owner)
1989 FJ1200