News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Crush Washers

Started by Gilbertfj, February 18, 2009, 10:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbertfj

I am replacing some of the crush washers in the banjo connections on the brake lines.  What size do I need?

Thanks,
Gilbert

ddlewis

Pretty sure they're 10mm.

If they're not torn up, and you are in a time pinch or are a cheapskate (like me) you can heat them with a torch, quench them in water while hot to make them soft again and you can reuse. 

Yamifj1200

Yep they are 10mm and available at most part houses. HTH

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

coresound55

Just as a FYI...be sure to check for any big nicks or grooves in the washers before installing.  I know that they are designed to deform a bit when the banjo bolt is tightened, but if the nick/groove is too big...there won't be enough deformation to prevent a leak.

I did not pay attention to two crush washers I installed on a brake M/C on my 1970 MGB GT (restored by my dad).  Installed and bled the system...only to find that I had brake fluid slowly leaking out of that banjo connection...WAY in the back...and requiring a removal of the entire pedal box to get the darn washers.  From here on out, I inspect the washers to make sure there aren't any obvious big problems (I'm not talking about tiny scratches).

And many guys do the annealing process on old crush washers...works just fine (heat with torch, and quench in water).

Tony
It's FJeriffic