News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

gsxr 1400 exhaust?!?!

Started by groome, December 22, 2014, 11:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groome

Hi all I'm new to the forum I have searched if there has been anything along these lines before. If I've missed it sorry.
I have been lucky to lay my hands on a set of gsxr 1400 scorpion exhaust silencers and link pipes for £40   :good2:  with the original plan to buy a set of xjr1300 link pipes and shorten the cans.
Whilst removing the link pipes curiosity took over me and thought I wonder if they will fit with a little chopping? So I had a trial fit and to my suprise the fit was rather nice. The only snag was the link pipe center stand stop is a little close to the swing arm. The pipes ran up and sat just below the pillion foot pegs. So I decided to try the silencers as well and all I can say is im liking the way things are looking.
I have fabricated a mounting bracket just to hold the exhausts in place for the pictures but plan to have a proper stainless mount made up. Right enough of my jabber time for pictures. Hope you guys and girls enjoy.
89  fj12 banshee

Normal = BORING

movenon

Looks good.  What year of GSXR ? The only thing that I see is you would probably have a hard time mounting hard luggage if that was in your plans. Good find.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

groome

Quote from: movenon on December 22, 2014, 11:52:40 AM
Looks good.  What year of GSXR ? The only thing that I see is you would probably have a hard time mounting hard luggage if that was in your plans. Good find.
George

Thanks  :good2:
Dont quote me on this but i believe they are off a 01-04 gsxr 1400. I tend to travel light so a rucksack is normally sufficient.
Simon
89  fj12 banshee

Normal = BORING

movenon

Thanks ! A lot will fit in a tank bag or a rear top box. Thanks again. Good conversion.
George

1990 FJ 1200

the fan

That is from a GSX 1400 not GSXR if anyone is searching....

Loks like it fits well and tucks in nicely.

stua1959

I reckon its off a GSXR 1300 Hayabusa. The GSX 1400 (Aust version at least ) had a 4 into 1 with a massive muffler hanging off one side

candieandy

Here you go. Done and Awesome

The midpipes are custom and stainless steel from Wolfe. http://www.woolfaircraft.com/index.html cost about $50.

The Yoshi mufflers are off of a Hayabusa. The sound of the larger diameter pipes is like nothing I have ever heard on an inline 4-cylinder bike. Its so low and mean.

These pipes go from 1 3/4" to 2 1/4" .

Final results:

HAUI

Dan Filetti

That looks really good.  Nice work.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: candieandy on December 23, 2014, 06:51:36 AM

The midpipes are custom and stainless steel from Wolfe. http://www.woolfaircraft.com/index.html cost about $50.

The Yoshi mufflers are off of a Hayabusa. The sound of the larger diameter pipes is like nothing I have ever heard on an inline 4-cylinder bike. Its so low and mean.

Okay, off to Ebay for some 'busa cans!

Does Woolf Aircraft have the setup (CAD file, or whatever) for the bend/form machine to duplicate another set of mid-pipes like the ones that you show?
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

movenon

Those do look nice ! Have the same question as FJ1100mjk on the mid pipes.  :good2:
George

1990 FJ 1200

Mark Olson

Yeah they look great .. so how does the bike run now? 

Does it still have legendary fj torque or did it get soggy on the low end?
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

groome

Quote from: the fan on December 22, 2014, 01:11:20 PM
That is from a GSX 1400 not GSXR if anyone is searching....

Loks like it fits well and tucks in nicely.

Sorry that was my mistake it is gsx 1400. Oops

Quote from: stua1959 on December 22, 2014, 08:57:28 PM
I reckon its off a GSXR 1300 Hayabusa. The GSX 1400 (Aust version at least ) had a 4 into 1 with a massive muffler hanging off one side

I have been looking on the interweb and you are right that model also come in a single silencer form whether twins was a different model variant I'm not sure.

Quote from: candieandy on December 23, 2014, 06:51:36 AM

These pipes go from 1 3/4" to 2 1/4" .

Final results:

Looking smart that was my original aim for the cans but after trying the gsx link pipes plans changed. (The scorpion cans are actually race cans
89  fj12 banshee

Normal = BORING

groome

Just a little update gave the bike a quick blast before Christmas and she sounded nice and still pulled like a train  :good2: :good2: :good2: :good2:
Here's a little video of it running with the pipes on the sound quality isn't brilliant as its in the workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyPMCNh8OhI

Hopefully over winter she will be sporting a respray in her original colours. enjoy
89  fj12 banshee

Normal = BORING

candieandy

Hey all,

Not sure if Woolf has the CAD file, but I will call and ask.

I will get a parts list together so if anyone wants to order they can.

I left the OE headers and collector box(I know not a lot of weight loss), but I still have the low-end torque. I think retaining the oe collector box has kept the lowend torque up to snuff.

On those Scorpion cans - the high-mount design looks great.

Andrew
HAUI