News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

East Coast Fall Rally

Started by DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave, March 24, 2015, 09:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave

I know last year there was talk about a new base camp for the fall rally. Today I was on the phone with Wayne at Cherahola, Kelly had a surgery and got sepsis earlier in the year and nearly died, so I called to check on them. In the conversation, Wayne mentioned a great year ahead as they were pretty booked, he has penciled in 14-20 September for our group if we wish to return. I said I would post this and hope to prompt a call to confirm or cancel so he has time to offer the week to others if we want or commit to a new location.

I hope everyones year is productive and safe. Dave
What haven't I owned, 201 different motorcycles in my life and never a Harley.

Currently
(2) FJ1200
(2) XT500
(4) 1993 Yamaha GTS1000
(4) 1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer
(2) 1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
1970's Husquavarna WR250
1974 Ossa 250 Phantom
1976 Ossa 250 Phantom
1998 Kawasaki KX250
1995 Du

FJscott

Hi Dave

my Vote is to stay with Wayne's place. he has been pretty good to us. last fall Rally he opened up his garage and toolbox, assisted Steve and his pit crew to mount and balance his new tires. Wayne is a good guy and I feel has earned customer loyalty from us.

my .02c

Scott

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: FJscott on March 25, 2015, 08:38:23 AM

my Vote is to stay with Wayne's place.

I would have to agree with Scott.

Plus, I think I could find the location again. (...not to mention, the eatery just down the street, with relatively cheap breakfasts and 3-generations of family members working there.)

Nice, clean place. Great people, adequate facilities.

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave

Scott/Steve its great to hear from you both. I hope scott has made progress on healing his rash from last year. (he fell down and went boom on the new bike at the same time I, 60 or so miles away, rode off a small cliff landing upside down under the bike alone in the rain).

An update on the campground itself, Wayne is working on getting a new septic filed lower on the grounds to support a second bath house. A fellow camper has offered to install the field at cost and Wayne is working on the permits in hopes of it being ready this year.

I am happy to return to their place and understand the position others have expressed seeking new ground for new entry and exit routes to the incredible roads the area has to offer. 

That said, I have a few new bikes I am working toward bringing if I can manage a few days at home rather than deployed around the US for work.

Bill Rockoff and I have been pretty busy covering the US coast to coast this year alone. January/February found us in New Jersey and February/March was Washington State.

Fall is solidly in my plans while soaking in spring is not, the schedule and rain are equal detractors with the supportive wife a close third.
What haven't I owned, 201 different motorcycles in my life and never a Harley.

Currently
(2) FJ1200
(2) XT500
(4) 1993 Yamaha GTS1000
(4) 1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer
(2) 1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
1970's Husquavarna WR250
1974 Ossa 250 Phantom
1976 Ossa 250 Phantom
1998 Kawasaki KX250
1995 Du

CodyNKR

I'd like to see it move to the week of the 21st. I have a job out in ID again so won't be able to come unless it's moved. But no biggie.
NancyK

rktmanfj

A week later is no big deal to me.   :pardon:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

the fan

Pushing it back a week works for me. My brother has had a tough year health wise and the first week interferes with early duck season. This is one of the few things we do together so I would prefer not to miss it.

mst3kguy

for fall 2016, i would like to see the rally moved to a different location.  one that has better cell phone coverage, better internet, and better amenities.  there are places out there, i just don't know that they are in tellico plains.  florida nancy has looked into some nice alternatives.  one thing that many of us have not been a fan of is that although we are very close to the cherohala, we are on the wrong side of the cherohala based on when we ride it.  in the mornings, we are on the _west_ side of the cherohala, and thus heading east into the sun when headed across.  and then in the afternoon, we are on the _east_ side of the cherohala, heading west into the sun when returning to tellico plains.  i don't necessarily want to be right in deal's gap, as that's just a clusterfuck.  but i'd like to have a good discussion about this at the fall rally.

re: the dates for this year, carey and henry won't be changing their schedules, as they got either a huge discount or free lodging credit for this year due to an accounting error by the cabin people last year.  don't know why they're locked in to those dates just because of the credit, but that's their take.  and i know they're fine doing their own thing.
dean
2014 triumph street triple r
2019 ktm 1290 superduke gt

FJ_Hooligan

Help me understand this Dean.  I also hate riding into the sun.

But,
Say the rally location changes to Robinsville.  Get up and ride the Cherohala in the morning. 

Then what do you do?  Drop down to Georgia?
I like north GA, but that's a long way to get there

Take the back way to the Gap from Tellico? That's not really a fun ride.

Or, backtrack across the Cherohala with the sun in your eyes?

Not trying to disagree, just wondering what the next line of logic is.
DavidR.

the fan

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on April 21, 2015, 08:03:39 PM
Help me understand this Dean.  I also hate riding into the sun.

But,
Say the rally location changes to Robinsville.  Get up and ride the Cherohala in the morning. 

Then what do you do?  Drop down to Georgia?
I like north GA, but that's a long way to get there

Take the back way to the Gap from Tellico? That's not really a fun ride.

Or, backtrack across the Cherohala with the sun in your eyes?

Not trying to disagree, just wondering what the next line of logic is.

I can see where Dean is coming from with this one.

The sun can be brutal on the cherohala around 10:00 am especially with a bit of fog hanging around. It would make the trip t north GA a long one if we do the usual out and back down 68 (which I love) and 360 has its moments heading from Tellico to the Dragon (which I don't particularly like) Even an out and back on the cherrycola wouldn't be bad after a quick lunch in Tellico as we would be returning around noon and the sun is high enough in the sky to burn off any fog and not be a glare issue.

I have stayed in Stecoah at the Iron Horse which is a fairly nice place and it does make for a different experience. 28 seems to get ridden more (not a bad thing) and the Blue ridge is an hour or so closer which may get us up there a time or two, also not a bad thing.

No real dog in the fight for me as I look at the fall rally as my annual blow off steam vacation and I am pretty good at finding a good time on most of the roads in the area. Last year I made two trips up to the devils triangle and other than the long ride to get there we had a bunch of fun. The first trip was with a great group and the second was a bit more hooliganish with Kavin and I slabbin it up and back to make the most of a short day. Being roughly an hour closer to the triangle would certainly open it up as an option and it would be fairly easy to connect it up with a few favorites (28-deals gap-foothills get you fairly close...)

If not this year, we should definitely consider it next year when Carey and Henry are not booked into the Chateau de moneybags.  Not sure if it would be the same rally without those two.

ddlewis

Quote from: the fan on April 21, 2015, 08:28:49 PM...
If not this year, we should definitely consider it next year when Carey and Henry are not booked into the Chateau de moneybags.  Not sure if it would be the same rally without those two.

No, definitely not the same.. it would be a lot quieter.  ha

I don't care much about the date or the location, just want as many people as possible to show up.  I actually have come to like that place, Kelly's, but the NC side of the mountain would be fine.  Would shave an hour+ off my ride down.

rktmanfj

Quote from: ddlewis on April 22, 2015, 09:18:26 AM
Quote from: the fan on April 21, 2015, 08:28:49 PM...

No, definitely not the same.. it would be a lot quieter.  ha

I don't care much about the date or the location, just want as many people as possible to show up.  I actually have come to like that place, Kelly's, but the NC side of the mountain would be fine.  Would shave an hour+ off my ride down.

Like Dan, I've grown to like Wayne and Kelly's place, but I'm not opposed to giving the other end of the Skyway a try at some point. Unlike Dan, it iadds about 90 minutes to my trip, but that's neither here nor there, really.

A real shame we can't get everyone together this year.

What to do?  :scratch_one-s_head:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350