News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Sticky carb float

Started by LtPwnzor, January 02, 2015, 11:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LtPwnzor

So I got the bike sorted minus the plastics, because I was enjoying good riding weather. Got the shift lever and footpeg and whatnot sorted, and can ride happily and at least enjoy myself. However, the bike began dribbling a bit of gasoline from one of the carburetors (the second one, I guess; it's middle left, at least). I had someone look at it (no, he didn't charge me; he did it out of the kindness of his heart) and he concluded that one of the carb floats was sticking. He rectified it, but the problem returned. I rectified it again myself, and yet again it returned. Seems that when I rev the motor high enough, the valve on that one carb keeps sticking, and the fuel starts dribbling again. So I wonder if you guys figure I should replace the float that's sticking, or if that would be economically inadvisable, or just plain crazy compared to some simple solution you know of. Also, I gotta get a new back tire, and was wondering what you people would recommend. There are just so damn many different tires out there...

Thanks,
Mark
Try not. Do, or do not; there is no try.

simi_ed

Maybe a stuck float, more likely a failed o-ring on the needle seat.  Kinda outside the normal symptoms. but it would be my 1st bet.  Mine would dribble fuel at low speed or stopped.  I would order Randy's SS screw set (includes o-rings) and a set of #40 pilot jets.  Rebuild and new jets; you'll; fix the issues and have a better running FJ to boot.
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

Mark Olson

Sometimes you can ride it over some speed bumps and bounce it off a curb and the float will stop leaking .

If it keeps coming back you will have to go into the carbs and fix needle and seat. Probably some junk from the gas tank is stuck in the seat  or damaged it .
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

red

Mark,

Sometimes, all you need is a can of Seafoam.  Add some with each fill-up, until the can is empty.  Your carbs will look NEW inside.  If the float is leaking due to rust granules in the needle-and-seat, then you will need a clean-out, but start with the easy stuff.

What sizes of tires are needed by your bike?

Cheers,
Red

Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

ribbert

Quote from: Mark Olson on January 02, 2015, 02:34:28 PM
Sometimes you can ride it over some speed bumps and bounce it off a curb and the float will stop leaking .

Mark, I take it you are just passing this information along and it is not something you have experienced first hand.
I have read this here so many times but cannot for the life of me see how it can deliver the sort of jolt that will free a stuck float.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Mark Olson

Quote from: ribbert on January 02, 2015, 04:36:15 PM

Mark, I take it you are just passing this information along and it is not something you have experienced first hand.
I have read this here so many times but cannot for the life of me see how it can deliver the sort of jolt that will free a stuck float.

Noel

Incorrect deduction Noel,

I personally have experienced this with my own FJ and it does work . Often better than rapping on the float bowl with the plastic end of the screwdriver.
You do need to be rough with the FJ when bouncing it around while riding ,so some skill is involved .

This trick works better on the non-fuel pump models as the seat is larger and will pass more junk.
This is a very common problem that happens all the time here in the states with all the crap they put in our gas.

Another way used is to shut off fuel at tank and open drain screws in the float bowls to empty them . Then turn tank back on and rap on the side of the bowls as they fill.
This will flush out the junk and get you on your way.

All these techniques I have personally used with success on my 86 FJ as well as fuel pump  model FJ's as well.

In the end ,if none of it provides a solution then carb bowls must be pulled.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

ribbert

Quote from: Mark Olson on January 02, 2015, 05:33:17 PM
Quote from: ribbert on January 02, 2015, 04:36:15 PM

Noel

Incorrect deduction Noel,

Yes Mark, the other methods you mention are tried and proven, although I don't agree with (and have said many times) the plastic screwdriver handle, it's too springy and absorbs the shock, like trying to drive a nail with a plastic hammer. Much of the shock is absorbed into the handle and you are only left with the force, with greatly reduced effect.
A big rev through the gears works well too.

On the matter of riding over curbs, we will have to agree to disagree. The carbies are mounted on rubber, half way between the front and back wheels on a sprung platform and you are going slow. How that is going to produce a sharp "shock" to dislodge a stuck needle is beyond me.

Anyway, it's knocking on the door of 110 deg in the old scale here and it's too bloody hot to argue, or ride, or think or finish a

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

LtPwnzor

QuoteWhat sizes of tires are needed by your bike?
My rear tire is 150/80/16; the front still has good tread and should be fine.  So far as this other thing goes, I'm gonna try the Seafoam first, I suppose. I've tried jarring the carb bowl a few times, but that solution has thus far seemed inadequate or temporary, so I'll move on to other things. I try my best to run only good, clean, ethanol-free gas through my bike; however, this does not account for whatever the previous owner sent through the engine. Since this bike is a rather recent acquisition, I might still have some discovering to do regarding preexisting conditions. Also, having only ridden twins and thumpers before, this inline four (naturally) feels different. I've been wondering how much of this feeling is just me not being accustomed to the inline four, and how much might be a condition with the engine worth rectifying. For instance, sometimes when shifting up from first to second, I feel as though second gear is kinda "blocking me out"; it's not quite forceful, yet also not necessarily a shift without resistance. On occasion when this occurs I fail to realize it, and wind up trying to accelerate in neutral only to realize seconds later I'm not in second. Maybe I'm unconsciously failing to squeeze the clutch lever enough, but I can't be sure as I haven't yet caught myself so doing. At any rate, I've been enjoying quite thoroughly my time atop the FJ, and had a great ride with my father and uncle on New Year's Eve.

theLeopard

If it gets worse check your emissions solenoid (if you have a CA model)

Otherwise just dusassemvle and clean the carbs like 3 times.
Dont rip the hoses.

And buy the ringkit from Randy its like 10bucks.
1992 FJ1200

Quote from: George"It is What It Is Until It Ain't Anymore"

Mark Olson

Quote from: LtPwnzor on January 03, 2015, 01:33:10 PM
QuoteWhat sizes of tires are needed by your bike?
My rear tire is 150/80/16; the front still has good tread and should be fine.  So far as this other thing goes, I'm gonna try the Seafoam first, I suppose. I've tried jarring the carb bowl a few times, but that solution has thus far seemed inadequate or temporary, so I'll move on to other things. I try my best to run only good, clean, ethanol-free gas through my bike; however, this does not account for whatever the previous owner sent through the engine. Since this bike is a rather recent acquisition, I might still have some discovering to do regarding preexisting conditions. Also, having only ridden twins and thumpers before, this inline four (naturally) feels different. I've been wondering how much of this feeling is just me not being accustomed to the inline four, and how much might be a condition with the engine worth rectifying. For instance, sometimes when shifting up from first to second, I feel as though second gear is kinda "blocking me out"; it's not quite forceful, yet also not necessarily a shift without resistance. On occasion when this occurs I fail to realize it, and wind up trying to accelerate in neutral only to realize seconds later I'm not in second. Maybe I'm unconsciously failing to squeeze the clutch lever enough, but I can't be sure as I haven't yet caught myself so doing. At any rate, I've been enjoying quite thoroughly my time atop the FJ, and had a great ride with my father and uncle on New Year's Eve.

For instance, sometimes when shifting up from first to second, I feel as though second gear is kinda "blocking me out";

Beware the dreaded 2nd gear issue.. The shift forks can bend resulting in missed shifts (false neutral) and poping out of 2nd gear while under load (6krpm).
Sometimes adding a shift detent roller and spring kit will save you for a while until you have to split the case and change out parts.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

LtPwnzor

Right now, the fuel dribble is an on-and-off issue. Picked up a can of Seafoam, and I plan to run it through over the next few days during the wonderful weather we're having. Now I'm becoming more worried about the shifty business. I thought about it, and given the way the bike went down in that little spill, I could quite probably have bent the shift forks all to hell. I suppose if the funny behavior persists and worsens, I might need to get some bits and bobs ordered over from RPM and open the sucker up. Also got the stuff I'm gonna use to fix the plastics; just waiting for bad weather or a dull day to get started. Gonna go order a new brain bucket here shortly; Progressive was nice enough to sponsor me a new one  :biggrin:

novaraptor

On Monday, I found that nearly all my gas was under the bike, instead of in the tank. Pulled the seat off and followed the hoses to find which carb was stuck, smacked it around a bit, and searched the database here for quick fix solutions. Put the bike back together, pushed it several feet away from the soaked ground, still had drip from the #3 hose. Didn't want to head on into a curb to jar it, so after riding to the pump and putting a gallon in, I decided that leaving the parking lot at speed OVER the curb instead of through the driveway should work well enough. Thumped down pretty hard. As of today, stuck float seems to be solved.. :pardon:
1990 FJ1200
Ride fast, live free... I forget the rest...

Mark Olson

Quote from: novaraptor on January 06, 2015, 01:35:15 PM
On Monday, I found that nearly all my gas was under the bike, instead of in the tank. Pulled the seat off and followed the hoses to find which carb was stuck, smacked it around a bit, and searched the database here for quick fix solutions. Put the bike back together, pushed it several feet away from the soaked ground, still had drip from the #3 hose. Didn't want to head on into a curb to jar it, so after riding to the pump and putting a gallon in, I decided that leaving the parking lot at speed OVER the curb instead of through the driveway should work well enough. Thumped down pretty hard. As of today, stuck float seems to be solved.. :pardon:

Yes , there ya go. That is how it is done with the whole stuck float dealio . Not slow in your driveway but accelerating over /off something that will give you a good jolt. :good2:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

movenon

Quote from: novaraptor on January 06, 2015, 01:35:15 PM

In addition to what has been mentioned. Your fuel pump check valve sounds like it is not working properly if you leaked out more than what was in the bowls and hose. Not that it is the end of the world as I think a lot of them are not working that well but it is something to think about. That valve inside the pump is just a rubber disk, not to high tech. Non repairable at least for me. But if it is leaking you might consider a shut off valve if you store it inside ?  

As a note my "go to tool" in the garage for tapping carb bowls is this
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24779726&cp=2568443.10768931.1253350.1256370.1254873.1393177.1259307

It has just enough weight on the end to tap and a long reach. I didn't buy it for doing carbs it is just something I had in the tool box. Could shorten up the shaft and put it in the FJ tool pouch. It probably makes more since to do that.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

novaraptor

Thanks for the heads up on the check valve, George. I'm always parked outside and on gravel n dirt at the house. The trees give me shade and there isn't much rain here in the desert. It has been into the low 30's and so hard to start the cold lump first time, and I did notice a longer run time on the fuel pump a day or two before the overflow. Keeping an eye on it for now..
1990 FJ1200
Ride fast, live free... I forget the rest...