News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

1174 overhaul

Started by theLeopard, January 03, 2015, 02:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Ron

Quote from: Pat Conlon on January 05, 2015, 08:33:17 PM

Spiegler, Galfer, to name a few....have brake line kits for your '92.

Braided stainless lines they makes...To get the feeling back in your brakes...
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

theLeopard

Maybe for Christmas ....
1992 FJ1200

Quote from: George"It is What It Is Until It Ain't Anymore"

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: Capn Ron on January 05, 2015, 08:56:47 PM
Quote from: Pat Conlon on January 05, 2015, 08:33:17 PM

Spiegler, Galfer, to name a few....have brake line kits for your '92.

Braided stainless lines they makes...To get the feeling back in your brakes...

Be careful giving info to theLeopard... Requests for clarification, we'll soon be peppered! :mail1:

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

Burns

1. Do you know what a "connecting rod" is Leopard?
2. Deal with your chain before you worry about any brake upgrades. If it is that loose both it and the sprockets may need to be replaced - have Mr. Motorcycle check that for you.
3. I repeat my earlier advice: buy a manual and read the maintenance chapter.
4. Take a motorcycle safety course.

This is the second time you were eager to rebuild your motor. The first time was based on results of a closed-throttle compression test; now based on a slapping drive chain.

I also recall you dumping all of you engine oil when you left the drain plug loose. Now you are street racing and you do not even know how to check for proper chain tension.

I suspect that if you ever get the head off that engine it will never run again.  Which would be for the best. I think you are a danger to your self and others.
There's nothing you can do that can't be done.

theLeopard

1. I googled it. If it's loose I'll need to rebuild the motor yeah?
2. Brake line replacement isnt a budgetable safety upgrade, currently. I wish it was.
3. I have an OEM manual. The pictures arent legible which is difficult for a novice.
4. Id prefer to take an advanced maneuvering course.

A shame you feel that way, Burns. I forgot ti tie my shies once, now i need velcro?
Lets do eachother a favor and ride opposite directions. I'd probably wind up in a wreck trying to keep up with your technical brilliance.

Worst i do is playful drags ib the city and occasionally split lanes too quickly.
1992 FJ1200

theLeopard

Quote from: theLeopardOuch.
I'll look at rhe sprocket for bent teeth, jeez.
1992 FJ1200

Burns

I'm sorry for being hard on you, but you do not seem to grasp that failure to pay attention to basic motorcycle maintenance can get you and others hurt or killed.

simi_ed

Quote from: Burns on January 06, 2015, 11:49:03 AM
I suspect that if you ever get the head off that engine it will never run again.  Which would be for the best. I think you are a danger to your self and others.

Now this is what I meant by "Consider the source".  Mr Burns has done just that AND offered sound advice
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

theLeopard

It appears I'll be forced to rebuild an engine to silence the critics.

C'est la vie.
1992 FJ1200

Country Joe

1993 FJ 1200

The General

Quote from: theLeopard on January 07, 2015, 06:06:15 AM

C'est la vie.
Hey Leopard. In your PVHO class, did you get to work on a compressor?   (popcorn)
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

Burns

Quote from: theLeopard on January 07, 2015, 06:06:15 AM

C'est la vie.

Don't worry about your critics. Worry about your LIFE.

You don't have anything to prove but you have a lot to learn.  Get a manual, read the maintenance chapters, follow the schedules. Get in the routine of checking tightness of critical fasteners (axles, triple trees, etc), tires (for pressure and condition), wheels (run true and smooth - i.e. no bends or kinks and good bearings) fluid levels, cables/controls, and CHAIN TENSION/CONDITION.

Always remember that riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous - treat your motorcycle with respect.

The city streets are not race tracks and you have no right to endanger the folks who are on them.

theLeopard

Ooh, popcorn time is the best time  :blush:  (popcorn)

Whats a PVHO? I looked at an industrial commercial diving compressor for class a few times. That was right about the time i got kicked out woth a 4.0gpa. Those rat bastards didnt even let me complete the welding course.

Burns, i will listen to damn near any advice you have to offer but 1) im an idiot and 2) you cant convince me to stop riding so bear that in mind while you whoop my ass woth knowledge.

Also, it's the chain. Or possibly rattling pipes. Does anyone want to sell me a non-op motor i can tinker with?
1992 FJ1200

Burns

I'm not saying "don't ride"  I'm saying "ride smart".  I hope you have a Long and Happy life on your motorcycle(s).

theLeopard

Burns, teach me how to corner technically one day, ok?

May your tank never touch Earth.  :drinks:
1992 FJ1200