News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Interstate Travel

Started by theLeopard, January 14, 2015, 05:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulG

These are some do's/don't's/coulda'/shoulda items from my round trip from Toronto,ON - Austin,TX - NC - VI back in Apr. 2013 - somewheres around 3500 mi.  (and previous trips throughout the years). Sorry about being a windbag...  :boredom:

• Do i need to take any special precautions while planning a long ride like this? 

* Check tire pressures every morning before you go - also increse the pressure due to the heavier load and continuous travel - this may depend on the tire brand.
* Bring chain lube & cleaner - Inspect/adjust chain every morning (if req'd).
* Bring extra gear (rainsuits/gloves/boots) - It may not rain much in San Diego, but it does in Oregon and Washington depending on your timing.  I've driven through 12hrs of rain, and yes it does suck.  But if you absolutely have to get there - just remember : It's Only Water!
* A new face shield for the helmet if you haven't got one in a while.  The first time it rains, you'll know why.
* Layered clothing - "up here" multi layered riding pants and jackets are the norm now.  If you don't have them - buy them - or just wear extra layers underneath.
* Yes, water-water-water - at least 2L/day (~2qts?) - and watch what you eat - try to stay away from the greasy shit and burgers - more proteins and complex carbs blah-blah-blah.  Keep some veggies or fruits in the tank bag for roadside snacks.
* Keep a roll of toilet paper within easy access (i.e. tank bag) for that emergency stop because you ate that double-stuffed-bean burritto-with dble hot peppers for lunch 3hrs ago... (see above).
* Stretch in the morning and whenever you stop - be concious of your posture - you will find your back and shoulders begin to slouch and will cause you back pain
* If you have a stock seat invest in one of these:  http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/brands/airhawk.html?gclid=CJSU-P3krMMCFQisaQod4Z0A1A  It will extend your cruising range quite a bit. They are sold everywhere now.
* Invest in a set of risers from RPM http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M%2FC%3AHandleBarRiser
* Bring a few extra tools - don't bring 1/2 the tool chest (like I did) - you are very limited in what you can do in roadside repairs (unless your some kind of mech. wiz) - also bring some extra fuses just in case.

You could pack the kitchen sink too, but just think of the likelihood of something going wrong.  I actually only used the tools in the stock kit for chain tensioning mostly.  If the probablity is low, then don't worry about it. You can't prevent Murphy's Law.

• How far/long can I ride my FJ before i need to give the machine a break

* You will wear out before the FJ will.  Just remember, unless your an Olympic athlete or an experienced Iron Butt you may not be able to ride 12 hrs a day every day.  Factor in extra time to ride less on some days - stop and smell the roses as they say.  I averaged 600 km on a short day and 800 km on a long (about 350 - 500 miles/day).  That may not seem much, but it was the first ride of the year - the bike was only ready about a week before we left - so my ass, back, and arms were not conditioned yet for anything beyond a weekend trip - let alone a two week one.
* I found on average for every three hrs of riding there was an hour of non-riding due to gas stops/eating/bathroom breaks/resting.  I'm over 50 and my level of fitness is not at all good (so normal for a North American).  This will be your primary factor in guaging your endurance.

• How much oil should i carry

* I brought an extra 2L (~2qrts).  I went through both during the trip - and I also got an oil change in TX at a dealer which was the 1/2 way pt.  That was only 1500 mi. or so, but better safe than sorry.

• What should I watch for, mechanically, during the ride?

* Chain tension/condition
* Tire wear/pressures
* Oil consumption
* Fasteners/bolts/screws for any hard luggage mounts, and fairings.

That's about all I had to worry about, but it is mostly dependant on your bike and it's own history and your level of maintenance.

• Whats the optimal travelling-speed for an endurance trip? I notice the speedometer reds @ 55, is it best to keep at or below that speed when covering long distances?

* If it's Interstate - then whatever the flow is - 65-85mph all day is well within the FJ's capabilities.  Secondary roads - stick near enough to the speed limits and enjoy the road - esp, if they are unfamiliar.  The locals may find it easy to go 70 in a 55 (or even 45) zone, but drive your own road not theirs, so-to-speak.
* Keep concious of your situational awareness.  We all "zone out" after a while and end up in that bubble where time and distance pass us by (at least I do sometimes).  :scratch_one-s_head:  That can be a good thing sometimes - to clear the clutter from your brain - but can be very bad when you don't immediately notice that camper comimg the other way making a left turn in front of you.

Once we got west of the Mississippi, the police presence disappeared for some reason, on the highways and byways.  Everybody seemed to have the pedal-to-the-metal, esp. truckers.  We would be going (an indicated) 75mph and they would blow by us going considerably faster.

Most of all, RELAX.   :drinks:  Like I listed earlier, posture is very important.  I also prefer to detour 2-3 hrs out of the way to avoid heavy urban areas and avoid the gridlock.  Speaking of which - timing your journey is important.  Arriving in urban areas during rush hour can be frustrating - hence the detour option.  Also, if your getting motels, go to the north end of any town/city on your way up and vice/versa on your way down.  This should avoid most of any rush hour traffic when you leave in the mornings.

I could go on.... and on.... and on....  :ireful: , but I think that's enough for now... :pardon:

1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

The General

What PaulG posted + borrow an "Air Hawk" + Pic & Post.   :drinks:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

magge52

Along with the previous suggestions I would add a good tire repair/plug kit and an electric air pump, a compact gas siphoning device, a length of rope for towing (or being towed) and bike-sized jumper cables. Have a great ride and be sure to take lots o' pics.  :bye:
George
92 FJ1200/abs
97 Duc 900ss/sp
75 Norton

Mark Olson

Quote from: FJmonkey on January 23, 2015, 06:26:13 PM
Quote from: Mark Olson on January 23, 2015, 04:14:30 PM
Not the first time I have bent the laws of physics. :rofl2:

Mark, you are the bent laws of physics....  :drinks:    Well, thank you for the compliment

Edit: How else can you be such an argumentative dick head and still be so likeable?     Years of training and experience

When is the next Renegade rally?

The next Renegade rally will be discussed at the WCR this year and I am open to suggestions about the location although the date should be around the 11th of September after labor day.

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Mark Olson

Quote from: ribbert on January 24, 2015, 05:43:15 AM
Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on January 22, 2015, 07:41:08 PM

Now, all the new "Topic Police" can return to their regular........

An innocuous discussion conducted in a light hearted and good natured manner and two "Post Police" in two days come down on it.

Considering some of the rubbish that gets posted unchallenged I find this odd, if not disappointing.
Does one need permission to post on this subject now or do I just run the gauntlet, throw caution to the wind, put 'em on the line and post anyway.

I was enjoying that discussion.

This is a nasty precedent that I hope doesn't gather momentum. The only time I have experienced this before is when one of the contributing parties suddenly realises they about to be proved wrong and declares the subject closed.

I hope this is a one off and not a trend.

Or, it could just be me and maybe no one else found it offensive, in which case, declare the topic closed.

Noel

Noel , It appears that if a topic degrades to a difference of opinion between only 2 posters then they are asked to take it to PM . Other posters may be interested in the discussion but unless they post something into the discussion it appears there is no interest in a conclusion of the degraded topic.

I was quite surprised you had no opinion to offer on the subject .
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

simi_ed

Good advice, Paul! 

My only addendum would be to bring along First Aid goodies.  Bring large & small bandages, prescription meds, asprin, a Neosporin anit-biotic type cream, a trauma type bandage, perhaps with some anti-coagulant powder, or bandage infused with same.  This kind of stuff can make the difference if you get injured and need to play doctor until real help arrives.  Perhaps a small fire extinguisher ...
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

ribbert

Quote from: Mark Olson on January 24, 2015, 03:43:43 PM

Noel , It appears that if a topic degrades to a difference of opinion between only 2 posters then they are asked to take it to PM . Other posters may be interested in the discussion but unless they post something into the discussion it appears there is no interest in a conclusion of the degraded topic.

I was quite surprised you had no opinion to offer on the subject .

Yes, that does appear to be the case and was my very point. Why is 2 the magic number and not 3 or 4 or 5. Why does that make it less interesting? There are thousands of lurkers out there that enjoy reading the forum but don't contribute.

Topics reach their natural conclusion and don't need 3rd party intervention to call time.

I find many topics here of no interest at all but I don't make an assumption on behalf of the other 4000 members that it is no longer interesting and call for an end to it, I simply skip over them.

You don't need to have participated in the writing of a book or only read books written by multiple authors (more than two) to enjoy it and if you don't find it interesting it doesn't follow suit that others won't either.

Haha, yes I did have an opinion, and a post already written and ready to submit, but to do so at that time would have appeared more as an act of defiance than a legitimate contribution and Heaven forbid my posts should be seen as inflammatory or I be seen as non compliant.

I suggest this subject now be terminated due to an anticipated lack of interest and I need to go and recalibrate my TPMS, damn thing shows my tyres holding pressure.  :biggrin:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJ_Hooligan

Quote from: theLeopard on January 14, 2015, 05:21:45 AM
• Whats the optimal travelling-speed for an endurance trip? I notice the speedometer reds @ 55, is it best to keep at or below that speed when covering long distances?

You must be young.
Remember (worst ever) President Jimmy Carter?
Arab oil embargo?  Back when they were stingy with their oil rather than trying to drown us with it?
Huge American cars that got 5MPG?

The above caused the government to issue a National Maximum Speed Limit of 55 MPH in 1973.  They hoped it would save fuel (it didn't).  For awhile, speedometers were required to show a maximum speed of 85 MPH (my '82 Maxim had this).

The (mostly ignored) "law" stayed in effect until 1995.  That's why the speedometer shows 55 in red colored numbers.  It has nothing to do with how fast your FJ can/should be ridden.

EDIT:  Oops, I should check the interweb first.  It was Nixon that implemented this speed limit.  Carter wasn't elected until '76 but it was such a bad idea that I just assumed that the peanut farmer came up with it.
DavidR.

FJmonkey

Quote from: simi_ed on January 24, 2015, 04:00:16 PM
Good advice, Paul! 

My only addendum would be to bring along First Aid goodies.  Bring large & small bandages, prescription meds, asprin, a Neosporin anit-biotic type cream, a trauma type bandage, perhaps with some anti-coagulant powder, or bandage infused with same.  This kind of stuff can make the difference if you get injured and need to play doctor until real help arrives.  Perhaps a small fire extinguisher ...

I think a finger tip bandage would have sufficed Ed....  :rofl2:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

krusty

Not sure if this would require a seperate thread but here goes. How about some form of cruise control? On longer trips I get an ache somewhere around my right shoulder blade. My physiotherapist suggests that it is relayed muscle stress from folding the throttle.
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

Capn Ron

Quote from: krusty on January 25, 2015, 12:50:05 AM
Not sure if this would require a seperate thread but here goes. How about some form of cruise control? On longer trips I get an ache somewhere around my right shoulder blade. My physiotherapist suggests that it is relayed muscle stress from folding the throttle.

+1   :good2:  I installed a throttle lock to give my right hand a break now and again. 
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

movenon

Quote from: Capn Ron on January 25, 2015, 01:59:51 AM

+1   :good2:  I installed a throttle lock to give my right hand a break now and again. 

Or on the cheap http://www.ebay.com/itm/8M4991-CAT-O-Ring-Motorcycle-Throttle-Lock-Lot-of-10-/200361377798?hash=item2ea6780006&vxp=mtr
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Steve_in_Florida

...On longer trips I get an ache somewhere around my right shoulder blade. ...relayed muscle stress from folding the throttle.

"FOLDING the throttle" ? ? ?    THERE'S your problem!    :empathy2:

Steve

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

krusty

Not sure if this would require a seperate thread but here goes. How about some form of cruise control? On longer trips I get an ache somewhere around my right shoulder blade. My physiotherapist suggests that it is relayed muscle stress from holding the throttle.
Foldin/holdin. How do I edit that?
Found it.
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

pdxfj

Quote from: ribbert on January 24, 2015, 05:43:15 AM
Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on January 22, 2015, 07:41:08 PM

Now, all the new "Topic Police" can return to their regular........

An innocuous discussion conducted in a light hearted and good natured manner and two "Post Police" in two days come down on it.

Considering some of the rubbish that gets posted unchallenged I find this odd, if not disappointing.
Does one need permission to post on this subject now or do I just run the gauntlet, throw caution to the wind, put 'em on the line and post anyway.

I was enjoying that discussion.

This is a nasty precedent that I hope doesn't gather momentum. The only time I have experienced this before is when one of the contributing parties suddenly realises they about to be proved wrong and declares the subject closed.

I hope this is a one off and not a trend.

Or, it could just be me and maybe no one else found it offensive, in which case, declare the topic closed.

Noel

Alright.. I bit my lip long enough.

I took a break from this message board for a long time because of shit like this.  Someone asks a question and receives some replies.  Great, we're all here to discuss things and help others.  Then someone posts something in the same thread that has some relevance and all of the sudden people go fucking ape shit.  The thread then degrades into a pissing contest with post, after post, after post with nothing to help the OP.  The OP must then sift though the messages to find anymore relevant information.

I see less and less of the long time members posting and I believe it's because of crap like this.  How does getting into an argument over how much tire pressure someone looses while riding in the mountain twisties have to do with the original question of riding a long distance across three states?  This is the kind of stuff that if left to run rampant, kills a message board.  Folks will find the site, look at the quality of the posts and move on.  I'm not trying to be the "Topic Police" or stomp on your first amendment rights.  I have seen too many other message boards go to shit over public arguments and I don't want that to happen here.  The "newer" members may not know how or why this message board came to be.  The reason has relevance over my concerns.

In the end it sounds like I'm in the minority here.. I enjoy a thought provoking discussion like everyone else.  If you seriously have an issue with me, don't result to name calling or beat around the bush with your feelings.  Tell me to fuck off either in public or PM and I'll be happy to oblige you.

And to add to the discussion of a throttle lock.  Very, very good idea.  I had forgot to mention it in my post.  Amazing how good it feels to let go and feel the blood flow freely back into your hand.