News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Allan's restoration issues

Started by Allanl, December 30, 2014, 01:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allanl

Hi guys, I feel like I have hit the wall :(  installed the new master cylinder rebuild kit and removed the 2 front calipers had to crack them open to give them a good clean. .full of gunk.. put everything back together and did a reverse bleed to get fluid back into all the right spots...no pressure on the brake lever..ummm...did a normal bleed. .still no good. .pulled the master cylinder out and reversed the bottom rubber washer (wasn't sure which way it went on as it flew out when I had to pull out originally, they now face each other)....all back together. .reverse bleed. .still no lever pressure :) ..even zip tied the lever overnight..still no joy...cracked the banjo at the top squeezed the lever and re tighened tbe bolt...still no pressure....not sure how much more fluid i want to keep pumping through the system.... even bit the bullet and went to Peter Stevens service department for advise..they agreed that I had done everything they normally do....as I sit here writing this I look up at the empty fluid containers as they sit quietly taunting my failure....bah humbug I say.... :ireful:
Al (help)
1985 FJ 1100
1982 XJ 650
1981 XT 250

movenon

Can be frustrating at times. This link might help. It is not an FJ master but similar. It is a clutch master but close enough to get the idea of how the seals go in. Scroll down to the parts diagram. http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/39968-clutch-master-cylinder-puzzle  When you have the master cylinder apart clean it and check real carefully the small hole in the bottom, the small one is easy to get plugged up. Blow some air thought it to make sure it is open. Reassemble.

Details:  check all the copper washers at every connection top to bottom. It should bleed pretty easy.

I don't know if any of this will help but sometimes you got to just start over and focus on the details. From experience.. Almost guarantee it is something simple.
George

Here is another video to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xg9J5AaXns Not FJ but very smiler.

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

ribbert

Quote from: Allanl on December 30, 2014, 01:21:51 AM
pulled the master cylinder out and reversed the bottom rubber washer (wasn't sure which way it went on as it flew out when I had to pull out originally, they now face each other)....... :ireful:
Al (help)

They should be facing the same way. Wide/ flared/ open end facing the direction of travel so when it's under pressure it expands against the walls if the cylinder.
When refitting the piston, the wide side of the cup goes in first.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJools

If its new fluid you have used you can recycle it until you get some pressure. Then if you really must, you could bleed it right through with fresh stuff. It is hydroscopic so you should jeep it in a jar with a lid.
Still thinking of something..................

mr blackstock

I did the same the same sort of thing awhile ago, the bleed through can take a day or more, depends on how much lever action you want to try.

cheers, Gareth
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

Allanl

Well that did the trick....I had a spare washer from the rebuild kit which I didn't know where it went. Had a look at the original cylinder and found a washer glued to the end just before the last rubber cup. Put the washer on turned the cup back around put everything back together and pumped fluid back into it and volaire. ..the pistons now pump out..oh that warm fuzzy feeling is back. ..
Thanks guys appreciate the quick responses.  I know you have my back   :drinks:
Happy New Year to you all
1985 FJ 1100
1982 XJ 650
1981 XT 250

ribbert

Quote from: Allanl on December 31, 2014, 02:44:42 AM
Well that did the trick....I had a spare washer from the rebuild kit which I didn't know where it went. Had a look at the original cylinder and found a washer glued to the end just before the last rubber cup. Put the washer on turned the cup back around put everything back together and pumped fluid back into it and volaire. ..the pistons now pump out..oh that warm fuzzy feeling is back. ..
Thanks guys appreciate the quick responses.  I know you have my back   :drinks:
Happy New Year to you all

Excellent! One step closer to re awakening the beast.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Allanl

yep, thanks Noel.. this is the offending item..as they say "nothing beats experience"...  :good2:
1985 FJ 1100
1982 XJ 650
1981 XT 250

movenon

"Almost guarantee it is something simple."   

Glad you got it fixed !  Are you about done with all that good weather down there ?  :lol:  :rofl2:
Cheers George  :drinks:

1990 FJ 1200

Allanl

Hi George,  just about,  the change rolled through about 2 hrs ago,  went from 42° to 25° a bit more pleasant. .

Cheers
Al
1985 FJ 1100
1982 XJ 650
1981 XT 250

Allanl

Well everything is back on the bike...put some fuel in the tank. .pulled the fire blanket out (just in case) and had the young fella ready with the hose..spent the next 3 mins trying to fire it up  :(  no luck.. I am guessing the fuel isn't getting into the carbies etc but I am not sure.. I am looking at the carbies wondering if I have reached my limit in mechanical capabilities. . I thought I had seen some instructions on carbies under the maintenance section but I cant seem to find it anymore. .any help is highly appreciated as my enthusiasm an pride has taken a slght downward nose dive....
Cheers
Al
1985 FJ 1100
1982 XJ 650
1981 XT 250

movenon

Don't despair Alan. Make sure your RUN/STOP switch is in the run position.  Take a screw driver and unscrew one of the drains one one of the carb bowls.. Getting fuel ?  Make sure your petcock is in the on position. On your 1100 make sure not to run a fuel filter. The hose routing is critical that it is done correctly.  Make sure the tank isn't pinching a fuel line.  Also make sure your vent hoses are not pinched when routing them down.  That's some things to think about in the fuel system. Air, fire and fuel  :good2: Again it is probably something simple, don't give up..

Here is a link with some pictures on how to route your fuel line if needed http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=9266.0

George :drinks:

1990 FJ 1200

Mark Olson

+1 on what George said.

You did not mention the choke , It must be in the full on position when cranking engine and do not use any throttle with a cold engine.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

ribbert

Quote from: Allanl on January 09, 2015, 07:32:27 PM
....I am guessing the fuel isn't getting into the carbies etc but I am not sure.. I am looking at the carbies wondering if I have reached my limit in mechanical capabilities. .
Cheers
Al

Alan, why do you think it's fuel related? and even if it is, it won't be the carbies. All 4 are not going to fail at once, well they could but it would be about the same odds as winning the lotto, it will be something before the fuel gets that far which means it won't be major.
After not having used the bike for so long it's easy to become unfamiliar with it and overlook the most basic stuff such as George mentioned, kill switch, choke, fuel tap.
If you can establish that it is a fuel problem, that makes it easier for us to help, rather than jumping all over the place with suggestions.
If you reply by 10.00 am this morning, and are available, I can call in today and have a look.

My wife has gone out for the day and left me house painting, I reckon I could just make it down there and back home before she does.

Noel

Allanl

Hi Noel, your probably right, it will be something simple I have missed. I have gone through the checklist, fuel in, kill switch to run, choke on and hit the start button.  Engine turns over but no spark happening.  Checked the spark plugs,  tried again & still no joy. My guess is that therre is no petrol flowing from the tank through the carbies to provide a spark to start it. More than happy for you to come down and provide a second set of eye's, sorry for the late reply. I am on holidays at the moment so if you have some free time over the next week please let me know I would be most grateful.
Cheers
Al
1985 FJ 1100
1982 XJ 650
1981 XT 250