News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

EXPERIMENT: Effects of Various Chemicals on Yamaha FJ Paint & ABS Plastic

Started by Steve_in_Florida, February 05, 2015, 09:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever spilled or applied any of the following to your Yamaha FJ's plastic or paint?

Brake Fluid
11 (100%)
Brake/Carb Cleaner Spray
6 (54.5%)
Acids/Bases
2 (18.2%)
Oxidizers
2 (18.2%)
Raw Egg
0 (0%)
Gasoline
12 (109.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Steve_in_Florida

Partially a test of the "poll" feature, mostly just starting an interesting(?) discussion.  :hi:

I want to design an experiment to see just what affects our paint and plastics, and in what way. (...and inspire discussion on how to fix it if it DOES happen to YOU!)

Candidate solvents:
     Acetone
     Acetic Acid
     Alcohol (denatured, beer, whiskey)
     Brake fluid (DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5, DOT 5.1)
     Gasoline (Regular, Premium)
     Diesel
     Egg White
     Brake Clean Spray
     Carb Clean Spray
     Mineral Spirits
     Lacquer Thinner
     WD-40
     PB Blaster
     MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone)
     Tolulene
     Xylene
     Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate)
     Oil
     Naval Jelly
     Aluminum Naval Jelly
     1,1,1-Trichloroethane
     Ether
     Chloroform
     Battery Acid (sulfuric acid)
     Hydrochloric Acid (Muriatic acid)
     Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)
     A/C Coil Cleaner
     Benzene
     Starting Fluid
     Kerosene
     Cyclohexane
     Lemon Juice
     Bleach
     Ammonia
     Carbon Tetrachloride

Alcohols
Acids/bases
Oils
Oxidizers

Anyone think of anything else we can test?

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

ribbert

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on February 05, 2015, 09:35:22 AM
Partially a test of the "poll" feature, mostly just starting an interesting(?) discussion.  :hi:

I want to design an experiment to see just what affects our paint and plastics, and in what way. (...and inspire discussion on how to fix it if it DOES happen to YOU!)

Candidate solvents:
     Acetone
     Acetic Acid
     Diesel
     Egg White
     Brake Clean Spray
     Carb Clean Spray
     Mineral Spirits
     Lacquer Thinner
     WD-40
     PB Blaster
     Tolulene
     Xylene
     Oil
     Naval Jelly
     Aluminum Naval Jelly
     1,1,1-Trichloroethane
     Ether
     Chloroform
     Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)
     A/C Coil Cleaner
     Benzene
     Starting Fluid
     Kerosene
     Cyclohexane
     Lemon Juice
     Bleach
     Ammonia
     Carbon Tetrachloride

Alcohols
Acids/bases
Oils
Oxidizers

Steve

Geez Steve, where do you live and how are the lungs?

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

krusty

Quote from: ribbert on February 05, 2015, 04:42:29 PM
Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on February 05, 2015, 09:35:22 AM

Candidate solvents:
     Acetone
     Acetic Acid
     Diesel
     Egg White
     Brake Clean Spray
     Carb Clean Spray
     Mineral Spirits
     Lacquer Thinner
     WD-40
     PB Blaster
     Tolulene
     Xylene
     Oil
     Naval Jelly
     Aluminum Naval Jelly
     1,1,1-Trichloroethane
     Ether
     Chloroform
     Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)
     A/C Coil Cleaner
     Benzene
     Starting Fluid
     Kerosene
     Cyclohexane
     Lemon Juice
     Bleach
     Ammonia
     Carbon Tetrachloride

Alcohols
Acids/bases
Oils
Oxidizers

Steve

Geez Steve, where do you live and how are the lungs?

Noel

Coke????
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

Burns

There's nothing you can do that can't be done.

TexasDave

Steve the EPA is going to come looking for you! They drive jeep wranglers with yellow lights on top. They wear orange construction hard hats with lime green safety vests. Enforcement teams usually come with 4 people per jeep. They did not have guns. Don't ask me how I know.  Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

ribbert

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

TexasDave

A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: TexasDave on February 05, 2015, 08:22:21 PM

Steve the EPA is going to come looking for you!...

Oh boy!   :flag_of_truce:

Can't we even *TALK* about science without raising someone's ire?

I'm not THAT old, and still remember many of these things being readily available at the supermarket! Remember chemistry sets? (Gilbert, SkilCraft, Perfect) Or this old gem?

Many of the listed items were in my local Home Depot or Lowe's Home Improvement store.

I want to experiment with plastic repair and fabrication techniques, as they pertain to the bodywork on the Yamaha FJ-1200. The threads about ABS repair using Lego blocks and acetone got me thinking.

So...

...I'm curious as to what our bikes may come into contact with, and what those substances may do to the paint and plastic:

- Many of us are already missing the rear lower left chin fairing tab (presumably) due to leaking brake fluid from the clutch slave cylinder. Well, is the culprit DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5, DOT 5.1, or ANY OF THE ABOVE?

- If I spray brake parts cleaner on my calipers and rotors, will it harm the wheel paint?

- Will the overspray from the can of Carb Cleaner harm my paint?

- If one of my fellow rally attendees has been heavily drinking WHISKEY, and VOMITS on my bike, can I wait `til morning to wash it off?

- My wife just spilled nail polish remover on my windshield. Will it stain?

Questions, questions... (And since we love to TALK and ARGUE, I want to TRY and TEST. That way, I KNOW.)

(popcorn)

Steve

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

TexasDave

Just trying to add some humor but the EPA does go overboard in regulating some of the chemicals we used and were readily available over the counter in my day. Carbon tetrachloride was the best metal cleaner and used extensively in the aircraft industry until found to be one of the most carcinogenic substances known to man. Trichlorethylene is the best chemical for removing adhesives from any surface without damage and is also heavily regulated. The EPA is an overzealous government agency as I did receive a visit from them.  Dave 

X-Ray

Very interesting. From what I've read regarding brake fluid, DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 eat paint/plastics.  Dot 5 is safe in that regard.  :good2:
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

aussiefj

Creosote is another one, it was used every where here in Oz for treating fence posts etc. against rot and termites, now it's taken off the shelves and can only be used under license.

Another factor Dave is time, how long do you leave these things in contact with whatever you're testing. I recently suffered the crumbling chin faring syndrome and the last time the slave cylinder leaked was at least 6 years ago so it must take some time for the effect to take place.

Sun or rather UV rays is another factor here in Oz, it will fade paint and brittlilize (is that a word?) plastic very quickly if they are not protected in some way, we have some solar lights in the back garden that are about 4 years old and they just about turn to dust if you touch them now.

Sorry drifting a bit off topic now, but that's my 2 cents worth anyway.

John.
"It's a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain" - the late great Chrissy Amphlett & Divinyls. Never truer than when you're pushing hard on the bike. A good song to keep in the back of your mind.

FJmonkey

Anyone suggest spray-on oven cleaner yet? Somewhat common in households...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on February 05, 2015, 09:27:13 PM

...I'm curious as to what our bikes may come into contact with, and what those substances may do to the paint and plastic:

- Many of us are already missing the rear lower left chin fairing tab (presumably) due to leaking brake fluid from the clutch slave cylinder. Well, is the culprit DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5, DOT 5.1, or ANY OF THE ABOVE?
Yes on DOT 3 and 4 (we know that) No on DOT 5 (we know that) don't know about DOT 5.1 U

- If I spray brake parts cleaner on my calipers and rotors, will it harm the wheel paint?
Yes, just as lacquer thinner will

- Will the overspray from the can of Carb Cleaner harm my paint?
Yes, just as lacquer thinner will

- If one of my fellow rally attendees has been heavily drinking WHISKEY, and VOMITS on my bike, can I wait `til morning to wash it off?
Wash it off immediately. Vomit contains hydrochloric acid which will stain your clearcoat and etch aluminum

- My wife just spilled nail polish remover on my windshield. Will it stain?
Yes, nail polish remover contains acetone, it will eat your paint just like it eats nail polish

Questions, questions... (And since we love to TALK and ARGUE, I want to TRY and TEST. That way, I KNOW.)

(popcorn)

Steve

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

cclase

Not exactly the requested anecdotal data regarding stuff intentionally/unintentionally applied to painted ABS fairings, but here link to a Chemical Resistance Chart...gives a good baseline for ABS resistance to a wide range of chemicals.

http://www.proplasticsinc.com/chemical_resistance_guide.pdf

chris

1985 FJ1100

Dads_FJ

I have some mercury, I'll bring it with to the Central Rally if anyone wants to experiment with that.   (popcorn)

I bought it at Radio Shack years ago (still in the original package too), it's in a glass tube with two wires coming out used as a switch.
John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20