News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Intermittent starting problems 91 f1200.

Started by Goody, February 15, 2015, 02:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJmonkey

If you need to replace your battery, consider an upgrade. I got tired of checking my fluid level every 3 months and keeping it on a tender. So I upgraded to an AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) battery. It holds a charge, it is sealed (no maint), and cranks well. Others have been real happy with their Li batteries. 2/3 the size and almost twice the cranking power. How do you think such a small battery can run your phone for a few days?

Food for thought...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

TexasDave

Quote from: FJmonkey on February 15, 2015, 04:37:36 PM
If you need to replace your battery, consider an upgrade. I got tired of checking my fluid level every 3 months and keeping it on a tender. So I upgraded to an AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) battery. It holds a charge, it is sealed (no maint), and cranks well. Others have been real happy with their Li batteries. 2/3 the size and almost twice the cranking power. How do you think such a small battery can run your phone for a few days?

Food for thought...
2/3 the size and almost no weight.  Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Dan Filetti

Quote from: TexasDave on February 15, 2015, 05:01:18 PM
Quote from: FJmonkey on February 15, 2015, 04:37:36 PM
<SNIP> Others have been real happy with their Li batteries. 2/3 the size and almost twice the cranking power. <SNIP>
2/3 the size and almost no weight.  Dave

Seriously.  I bough one of these from Randy for the Gixxer.  When the box arrived, I seriously thought he had shipped me an empty box, they are that light!  Anyway, I'm on year two with no complaints yet.  If it does not last more than 2-3 years, then I'll switch back to the cheaper AGM I had in it previously.  

The Li batteries are smaller lighter stronger, seemingly better in every way and the price for them reflects that: ~50% higher price tag.  If I were to get 4 years out of it, (about what I usually get from an AGM battery) then I'd buy another Li.  We'll see.

Note, I did buy the proprietary charger for it, which drops the charge down to 80% in winter storage mode.  This too was not inexpensive, but, I figured I'd give it every possibility of lasting long enough to justify it's existence in my life... 

Dan  
Live hardy, or go home. 

Goody

Update , got home from work bike would not start under own steam, it  still had 12.7 volts when checked at battery poles which are clean and tight. Attached voltmeter to poles pressed starter and reading on meter went from 12.7 to 3.75v . Attached a secondary 12.v supply and the bike burst into life, did this a few times and every time the bike started. Checked connections as per advice and they are all clean and tight bike would only start with secondary 12v supply.
John NZ.

movenon

Quote from: Goody on February 16, 2015, 12:20:05 AM
Update , got home from work bike would not start under own steam, it  still had 12.7 volts when checked at battery poles which are clean and tight. Attached voltmeter to poles pressed starter and reading on meter went from 12.7 to 3.75v . Attached a secondary 12.v supply and the bike burst into life, did this a few times and every time the bike started. Checked connections as per advice and they are all clean and tight bike would only start with secondary 12v supply.

:good2: :good2:
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Fantastic! You found the cause of the problem. Now you need to decide which type of battery you can afford. Then you can get back to riding it...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Goody

Roger that, no bike should sit around in this weather more so an FJ . Looking into battery types quickly available to me . But Morrinsville is a small town , don't want to wait for mail order. Will keep you updated. Thanks for your help, Monkey. Texas ,Dave , and ribbert,  apologies if I've missed anyone . John
John NZ.