News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

ELECTROLYSIS: The New Sandblaster

Started by Steve_in_Florida, February 22, 2015, 11:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_Florida

We recently encountered a situation at the shop where electrolysis was indicated.

1940-something Indian Chief motorcycle with a Red/White paint scheme (hard to match). One of the two gas tanks was pretty rusty on the inside. Possible repairs made in the past. Previous owner deceased.

Our task was to treat and stabilize the rust, while preserving the paint job.

Solution? Electrolysis using a 12-volt battery charger, washing soda, and a steel bar.

In a nutshell, this process is pretty cool.

Anyone else familiar with this subject? I'm learning all kinds of things about it.

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

fjfool

on the list for my FJ tank this winter
figure i will search utube pretty soon for any motorcycle specific videos

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: FJmonkey on February 22, 2015, 11:23:00 AM

Sounds like Electropolishing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electropolishing.

Similar, but in our case, the workpiece is the cathode (-), and the anode (+) is a piece of sacrificial, scrap steel. Everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) that is not the steel of your workpiece is removed. Grease, rust, paint, blood, vegetable matter, `roo pieces, whatever...

If you hook it up the other way, then your workpiece is what's eroding away, and that's the opposite effect that I'm looking for.

From what I'm reading, the natural process of oxidation (rusting) is a loss of electrons by the steel and a binding to oxygen to form various iron oxide compounds. The electrolysis process (in the manner we have set up) tips the equation the other way and REDUCES the iron oxides to a more stable state (hematite -> magnetite -> wustite -> iron).

(This is paraphrased from much reading, so add "I think" to anything I say here.)

I've expanded our process from exclusively doing the inside of gas tanks, to basically any sized part. Car rims, fenders, parts, etc.

Here's a couple of video links that describe the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6ArN_ehas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a48W-hYNUug

Thought I'd share.

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

movenon

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on February 22, 2015, 11:11:54 AM
We recently encountered a situation at the shop where electrolysis was indicated.

1940-something Indian Chief motorcycle with a Red/White paint scheme (hard to match). One of the two gas tanks was pretty rusty on the inside. Possible repairs made in the past. Previous owner deceased.

Solution? Electrolysis using a 12-volt battery charger, washing soda, and a steel bar.

Anyone else familiar with this subject? I'm learning all kinds of things about it.

Steve

I have used the same method cleaning cast iron for dutch oven pots and skillets. Makes them like new again.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

red

Here is a good link, how-to:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

Use common steel or iron for the sacrificial anodes, not stainless steel (which would make dangerous byproducts).

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

JOMPPA10

Steve

If it is question of rust in tank i woud use abouth 2pound Shotgun lead pellets ( abouth 1mm) and shake gas tank, sometimes paint chaker helps. :unknown:

JMR

Quote from: JOMPPA10 on March 08, 2015, 06:02:03 PM

Steve

If it is question of rust in tank i woud use abouth 2pound Shotgun lead pellets ( abouth 1mm) and shake gas tank, sometimes paint chaker helps. :unknown:
Unfortunately it is a real bitch getting all those pellets out. I have used a length of chain.

The General

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22VjAEaI2LM&app=desktop   :drinks:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: The General on March 09, 2015, 02:49:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22VjAEaI2LM&app=desktop

This bloke's final method will end up removing the paint on the outside, too.

The first way `round, he was cleaning the "probe", using the tank as the sacrificial anode. The other way is how we had it set up, but ***ONLY*** on the inside of the tank. Remember, we were tasked with SAVING THE PAINT.

Lots of applications for this stuff.

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823