News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

looking at buying

Started by sebwiers, March 09, 2015, 11:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebwiers

Web search brought me here doing research after seeing a nice '85 on CL.  Same exact add was in the for sale section.

I'veowned a few mid size bikes and a '78 GL1000, like larger bikes that combine power and real world ridability.  Have a Yamaha xj750rj project bike that's been in the works a while, but that's a story best handled when I'm not on the phone.

fj1289

Welcome!   That's a clean looking bike on craigslist.   If you get a good one - you won't remember the purchase price -- just the rides you've taken

There's several of us here that have had (or still do) XJ Yamahas.  I owned an XJ650RJ Seca - great bike - traded my first car for it!   

Chris

FJmonkey

Welcome sebwiers, this is our digital campfire. Pull up a chair and your beverage of choice and enjoy the FJ community.  :drinks:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

sebwiers

Quote from: fj1289 on March 10, 2015, 12:23:04 AM
Welcome!   That's a clean looking bike on craigslist.   If you get a good one - you won't remember the purchase price -- just the rides you've taken

There's several of us here that have had (or still do) XJ Yamahas.  I owned an XJ650RJ Seca - great bike - traded my first car for it!

Is clean looking for sure, as is the garage, generally a good sign.  I'm just a bit gun shy, have bought a few dogs recently (GL that blew its engine, XJ listed at $2000 that was only good for paper and parts).  Not that I got burned to bad, they were really cheap (I talked the XJ down to $200 after running a compression test, GL was $650 runner I rode to work for a season, is probably worth more in parts even without engine).  I just have a limited budget, and would feel like an idiot if I spent it adding yet another bike to my personal 2 wheel junk yard.

Cold start and test ride will tell, I guess.  Photos do paint a nice picture, but seems odd (to my thinking) to sell such a well kept bike.

I don't know if I'll technically still be riding an XJ by the time I'm done with my project- it should be ridable, but might not be an XJ!  I'm not making any changes to the engine or drive train, but pretty much everything else is custom.  I've been in love with the Britten V1000 since I was a kid, and more recently the K1300, so wanted to try building a Hossack front end bike.  What the project evolved into is actually very similar to Claude Fiore's XS1100 Bol D'Or racer, minus the chain drive conversion.  And probably with a crapton more unpsrung mass, and a heavy dose of rat rod / post appoc (read "I don't do paint") styling.  Its experimental in the extreme, but the kinematics should be solid, thanks to Toy Foale's funny front end software.

XJ Body work and basic shape w/ wheels on, showing single shock rear conversion - http://imgur.com/a/YswTX

XJ front end refinement - http://imgur.com/a/qAPqy

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum  :hi:

You did not mention a location of where you reside. Not sure what your travel radius is for an FJ search.

Here is a fine example of a 1200 for sale in St. Louis.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/4919145185.html

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

sebwiers

Am in St. Paul / Minneapolis, MN.  The one I'm considering is top of the 'bikes for sale' section - http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/4924552790.html

St. Louis is a bit far to go, and $2900 is a bit more than I have.  Wasn't specifically looking for an FJ, it just caught my eye as the type of bike I like & can afford.   The 1200 does have some meaningful improvements, but the 1100 is plenty of bike for me power wise.   The one I linked to seems a very good specimen.

sebwiers

Bought it.  Guess that makes me an actual FJowner.

ZOA NOM

Well played, Sir. Now check out the mods section...
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

charleygofast

Nice bike!  Congratulations :drinks:
1984 Yamaha FJ 1100
1981 Yamaha XS 650
1985 Suzuki SP 600F
1979 Yamaha XS 1100                                                                      2015 Kawasaki KLR 650

Mark Olson

Alright that's awesome .  :drinks:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

movenon

Looks like a good choice ! Lets us know how it works out.  30 years old and still looks good.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

fj johnnie

Very nice bike. Looks to be in very good shape. The choice of bike is enhanced by a great forum, full of many well informed helpers. Cheers!

FJmonkey

Wow! low on mods but clean on original. A very good place to start with an FJ. I am partial to the Red and White so Kudos dude....

sebwiers

Will probably stay low on mods.  I enjoy the masochism of learning about motorcycling history first hand.

Actually, I already have some mods planned, but they are simple bolt on parts.  I want a custom seat that runs pretty much like a flat motocross bench seat near level with the top of the tank.  I'm tall (6'3"), with an abnormally long torso, and the distance from the stock perch to the bars is WAY to short for me.  Similarly, I plan to pull off the stock pegs and passenger pegs, and machine a mount for some pegs that would sit about 2 inches rear of the current pilots pegs location, so that my size 13 clod hoppers fit the foot controls properly.

These bikes look big, and the seller was my size and liked it, but it feels cramped to me.

FJmonkey

I am just under 6' myself and have had my seat (Corbin) stuffed an inch taller to help with my knees on longer rides...