News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

looking at buying

Started by sebwiers, March 09, 2015, 11:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Olson

Quote from: sebwiers on March 21, 2015, 10:05:06 PM
Will probably stay low on mods.  I enjoy the masochism of learning about motorcycling history first hand.

Actually, I already have some mods planned, but they are simple bolt on parts.  I want a custom seat that runs pretty much like a flat motocross bench seat near level with the top of the tank.  I'm tall (6'3"), with an abnormally long torso, and the distance from the stock perch to the bars is WAY to short for me.  Similarly, I plan to pull off the stock pegs and passenger pegs, and machine a mount for some pegs that would sit about 2 inches rear of the current pilots pegs location, so that my size 13 clod hoppers fit the foot controls properly.

These bikes look big, and the seller was my size and liked it, but it feels cramped to me.

Give yourself a chance to get used to it before you do the mods . I would suggest a couple of 200 mile rides with breaks every 50 miles to get used to the FJ. I myself found the fj a little cramped at first but got used to it before I did the same things you are talking about. Mix up your ride with some twisties and some straight and see how it goes.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

aviationfred

Congratulations on the new to you 1100.  :hi:

My first FJ was an '85 just like yours. The power difference between the 1100 and the 1200 is a mere 5 ponies.

I can not offer any recommendations as far as making adjustments to accommodate your height. I am 5'7".

For mods, another way to actual see mods first hand on many FJ's is to attend the Central Black Hills Rally the first weekend of June. It is being held in Hill City, South Dakota.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

sebwiers

Thanks everybody!  Getting used to it may be good advice, but I do have a VERY long torso, pretty sure I'll want to get further back on the seat than the current 'passenger bump' allows even if not higher up. 

I probably did 50 miles on Saturday, but it was flipping COLD.  I left the heated grips on while in the shop (place in the photo is a community workshop where I'm building my custom XJ750) and killed my battery, had to push start to get home.  And the next day, it snowed.  That's life in MN for yah, March gets warm enough to ride a bike for a couple weeks, then dumps on yah one last time.