News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Hydraulic Clutch Bleeding

Started by Benno #03, March 12, 2015, 09:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benno #03

OK, so I think I have enough info to try again tomorrow.
One question I still have is, is it necessary to re-fit the master cylinder cap whilst doing all of this.
Or, can I leave it off and keep topping it up as I bleed the fluid through?

FJmonkey

Leave the cap off, watch as you bleed, top off as required. Keep a can of brake cleaner close by and clean up all drips and spills ASAP.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 13, 2015, 09:28:18 AM

..Keep a can of brake cleaner close by and clean up all drips and spills ASAP.

Brake cleaner? Careful, that usually has solvents in it that will soften and lift paint, and soften plastics. I know this for a fact.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=13250.0

Pat suggested a spray bottle of water, as this will neutralize the paint-damaging effect of any spilled or slopped brake fluid. You must act quickly, though.

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

Pat Conlon

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 13, 2015, 09:28:18 AM
Leave the cap off, watch as you bleed, top off as required. Keep a can of brake cleaner close by and clean up all drips and spills ASAP.

WTF?  Brake Cleaner? Holy shit Mark, that will eat thru your paint quicker than the brake fluid...

A spray bottle of water will neutralize brake fluid.

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJmonkey

I have not had any issues with paint but ABS is another story, but I keep as much covered to avoid needing to clean up any drips or spills.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

FeralRdr

:good2: +1 On having the spray bottle with water handy.  It's safer than brake cleaner, and very effective in neutralizing hydraulic fluid (at least DOT 3 and 4, not sure about 5 or 5.1).

Oh and Benno, if it still isn't bleeding well for you, remove the clutch slave cylinder (it's only three bolts), and see if there is any sign of leakage around the seal.  Pull the clutch lever a couple of times, and if you see any fluid seep out on a pull, that is your culprit right there.  My friend, who has my old FJ, encountered this problem.  In his case, whenever he pulled the clutch handle, hydraulic fluid would seep out past the seal.  When he released the handle, most of the fluid would suck back under the seal.  The seal was failing just enough to keep the clutch feeling mushy (and probably allow air into the system), but not enough to lose hydraulic fluid at a rate that would cause the tell tale signs of a leaky slave cylinder (paint/fairing damage). 

Benno #03

Success, :good2:
She's back on the road ready for our dry season.
I now have a new issue, but will start a new post.
Thankyou all for the helpful advice.

twangin4u

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on March 12, 2015, 09:51:44 PM
The best bleeding "tool" I've found is patience.  Don't force the air down to the bleeder, let it rise up to the master cylinder.

The success attributed to the "tie the lever to the bar overnight" is more a function of "overnight" than the position of the lever.

** agreed.. I bled my clutch without even cracking the bleeder. Took me 15 mins tops. I just slowly pumped the handle while lightly taking on the clutch line and watched a steady stream of bubbles continue up into M/C until I gradually got more and more throw. Then let the rest work itself out as I rode it (if there was any left)

theLeopard

Close the bleed screw
Pump levet twice
Hold lever in
Open bleed screw
Let bubble flow into bottle
Close bleed screw
Pump lever twice
Hold lever in
Open bleed screw
Let bubbkes flow into bottle
Close bleed screw
Pump lever twice

Its twdious but only takes 5-10 minutes
1992 FJ1200

Quote from: George"It is What It Is Until It Ain't Anymore"

Ponty

All good advice - slowly is good! I just bled my clutch on the roadside, in the rain, outside Santander, using the cut-off bottom of a water bottle I found in the ditch and a piece of pipe cut off the battery overflow hose. It's still not right but it got me home. I didn't fancy trying to drive off the ferry with no clutch! The air's getting in somewhere - I think it's where the pipe is banjo bolted to the master cylinder, so I'll try a new pair of copper washers. It's worth checking these joints especially if someone's fitted aftermarket hoses in the past. Cheers, Andrew

markmartin

Quote from: Ponty on May 01, 2015, 10:11:32 AM
I just bled my clutch on the roadside, in the rain, outside Santander, using the cut-off bottom of a water bottle I found in the ditch and a piece of pipe cut off the battery overflow hose. It's still not right but it got me home. I didn't fancy trying to drive off the ferry with no clutch!

I love it!  Great fix and glad it got you home!

BTW, check you slave for leakage.  It's not uncommon for them to need a rebuild.

FJ_Hooligan

Quote from: Ponty on May 01, 2015, 10:11:32 AM
The air's getting in somewhere - I think it's where the pipe is banjo bolted to the master cylinder, so I'll try a new pair of copper washers.

I don't think that's where air is getting into the system.  There is no external force trying to push air into the line.  If air was getting in some place, then brake fluid would be leaking out at that same place.

Except through the master cylinder.

Here's what usually happens:
The slave cylinder piston starts to corrode
It then starts seeping fluid
The lost fluid is replaced by the master cylinder reservior
The level in the master gets low enough that sloshing in the reservior allows air to get forced into the line.
DavidR.

Mark Olson

As the slave cylinder starts to go bad you  will loose fluid and the level drops in the master .

If your Fj is on its kickstand and you pull the clutch in and release it , you will suddenly find yourself with no clutch .
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Ponty

Yes I think you're right about the slave cylinder - apparently you can be drawing a little air in through the seal even though it's not leaking. I've got a kit coming.

davadtech

Quote from: FJscott on March 12, 2015, 10:52:46 PM
One method I use to expedite the bleeding of air from the Clutch slave is to remove it (keep hyd line attached) and SLOWLY depress the piston inward with my thumb.
this does 2 things;

1-Decreases volume to be bled to minimum
2- forces any air up to the MC where it naturally wants to be

Scott

I can confirm this makes the job a whole lot easier with a recalcitrant bleed process, even Mityvac didnt do mine, but this worked great