News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

18989 fj1200 help

Started by courtsdaddy, January 02, 2010, 02:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

courtsdaddy

Ok so this might be  stupid question but I just bought this bike and it makes a noise from the gas cap.
My buddy told me he thinks this is how the tank (purges) or something like that. Any help I would be great.
It only does it after it runs and last for about 15 min or so?

FJmonkey

Welcome to the group. Your buddy is right. The caps are vented with a dual flapper valve that can sing/whine after the bike/fuel is warm and shut off (too much noise to hear with the engine running). As long as you are not having trouble with fuel starvation (or really hate the noise) then you really don't need to mess with it. If you do want it gone then you will need to disassemble the cap. There is a post that Klavdy did that describes the fix. There is a spring and a ball-bearing the size of a pigmy gnat that will shoot out. I took mine apart in a clean bucket and did not loose it.

Tell us more of your self and your bike. Were mostly a friendly group, mostly...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

racerman_27410

that's your FJ singing to you.... perfectly normal.

it's when they stop singing (venting) that you would have the problem

welcome to the group!

Kookaloo!

courtsdaddy

Thank you all for the help, I just started riding in 09 and I started on a 2001 gs500. My buddy has 1984 fj1100 that I fell in love with so I just had to find one. It has alot more going on than the gs so all the noises are new to me and I just want it to run right.  I think this one I will leave alone, just was shopping for a chain and wheel bearings
and I was waiting on your replies to see if I needed to order and new cap or what ever.  Thanks again