News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

1989 FJ1200 Not holding/building a charge

Started by FJGiddyUpGirl, March 17, 2015, 12:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ_Hooligan

When this goes bad, the connector itself melts and may not be reusable.  Mine had melted enough to fuse the 2 halves together and the whole connector had to be cut out. 

Some may choose to replace it with another 2-lead connector assembly while others (me) chose to use 2 separate single spade connections.  Alternating the connector gender will prevent accidently swapping the wires.  I don't recall if I actually did this, but the only time I disturbed this connection was to repair it so I don't see this being a big problem.  The new connections have clear covers so I do inspect it for corrosion whenever I have the sidecover off. 
DavidR.

ribbert

Quote from: Pat Conlon on March 19, 2015, 10:18:20 AM
Apparently, Noel does not understand what we are talking about........ 

That is quite possible. I asked for an explanation a day earlier and no one responded.

I (and presumably others) could only interpret it as it read (and still reads)

Perhaps a photo for those of us that aren't too bright would make it easier to understand.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: copper on March 19, 2015, 10:32:33 AM
Red male alternator side to Red female Battery side.                 X ---> Y Red Wire
Brown female alternator side to Brown Male battery side.          Y ---> X Brown Wire

Presents no confusion what so ever as X will not connect to X and Y will not connect to Y.

Red alternator side will not longer connect to Brown battery side        X---X Red to Brown (No connect)
Brown alternator side will no longer connect to Red battery side         Y---Y  Brown to Red (No connect)

Speaking in electrical spade connecter terms that is.

I must be missing something here. If the terminals are housed in a connector block, 2 males one side and 2 females the other and the block only goes together one way, how do you risk connecting them incorrectly?

We may well be talking about different things but until it is explained in such a way that those who haven't done this mod understand, I can only take it as it reads.

I understand how spade connectors work.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJmonkey

Perhaps this will help... Maybe not...

The Male Female relationship is swapped for the Red and Orange (Brown) wires. So they can only connect properly, even if you are color blind....

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ribbert

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 19, 2015, 04:53:33 PM
Perhaps this will help... Maybe not...

The Male Female relationship is swapped for the Red and Orange (Brown) wires. So they can only connect properly, even if you are color blind....

Thanks Mark. It's funny, when describing a procedure that is clear in your mind, it is easy to gloss over the obvious (to you) steps - like eliminating the connector block!

My only comment on this would be to make sure the exposed male end is not live so when you disconnect them and it flops onto the frame...........

Thanks again Mark for the explanation.

Noel

FJmonkey

Happy to help Noel, the spade connectors are insulated (Male and Female) so any contact of HOT conductor contact is minimized. I guess a picture can be worth a 1,000 words...

Anyway, I hope we get to the root cause and help our new FJowner fix the power problem they are having...

Pat Conlon

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 17, 2015, 03:23:21 PM
......The fix is simple, cut the offending connector off and crimp on new spade connectors. Make sure you mate the connectors so you can't miss-connect them. Each side gets one each male and female connector. This helps if you ever need to pull them apart in the future.  

Quote from: ribbert on March 19, 2015, 05:42:11 PM

Thanks Mark. It's funny, when describing a procedure that is clear in your mind, it is easy to gloss over the obvious (to you) steps - like eliminating the connector block!

Noel, nice try....Mark did not gloss over shit. You just flat did not read....like when Mark wrote "cut off the offending connector..."

Yea, Mark you should have been more clear....stop glossing over stuff... :dash2:
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ribbert

Quote from: Pat Conlon on March 19, 2015, 10:41:20 PM

Noel, nice try....Mark did not gloss over shit. You just flat did not read....like when Mark wrote "cut off the offending connector..."

Yea, Mark you should have been more clear....stop glossing over stuff... :dash2:

Pat, nice try.... as a tradesman it never occurred to me that "cutting off the offending connector" would not automatically infer that you replaced the damaged part with a new one, even if not specifically mentioned, in that application.

"Crimp on new spade connectors" I took as being the ones inside the block.

It never crossed my mind that you would dispense with the connector block, that being the part that was glossed over. Silly me. I guess my brain is just wired differently.

As for the statement below:

Quote from: ribbert on March 19, 2015, 05:42:11 PM

It was just a general comment on the difficulty of putting into words a procedure that is crystal clear in your own mind but being read by someone for whom it isn't. It was not directed at Mark personally. You know, "you" as in "you know ......."

I think Mark got it, he certainly didn't seem offended, as you did on his behalf.

I can't believe I'm even responding to this. The only part I really wanted to clarify was that I was not having a go at Mark, you have just chosen to read it that way.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow Pat and find something worth talking about. :biggrin:

Noel

fj1289

Unfortunately it looks like the OP hasn't checked back in (or at least hasn't signed in) since the third reply or so...

Hope it was a quick fix and he's out kookalooing!

FJmonkey

Quote from: fj1289 on March 20, 2015, 01:48:21 PM
Unfortunately it looks like the OP hasn't checked back in (or at least hasn't signed in) since the third reply or so...

Hope it was a quick fix and she's out kookalooing!

Fixed it for you...

Mark Olson

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Charlie-brm

Anytime I have a connector apart or replaced on a motorcycle it doesn't go back together without first applying some dielectric grease. Not since the big "rectifryer" incident of 2007.

If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

fj johnnie

I hope Noel has a better day tomorrow too.

ribbert

Quote from: fj johnnie on March 21, 2015, 10:05:13 PM
I hope Noel has a better day tomorrow too.

How did you know?

Perfect riding day today, early Autumn with it's crisp mornings and moderate midday temperatures, clear blue skies and windless days, perfect riding down here. It is my favourite time of the year and my bike has just had a long overdue tune and general going over.

My wife an daughter however had volunteered me as announcer at a horse event. With only a corded microphone I was limited to a 2 metre radius from the PA for 9 hours standing in a permanent cloud of dust and down wind from the greasy BBQ that ran all day.

Yes, I hope I have a better day tomorrow too.

Noel

rlucas

Quote from: ribbert on March 22, 2015, 08:02:54 AM

...9 hours standing in a permanent cloud of dust...

Nasal filters. Paper or foam?   :unknown:
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)