News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

G'day from Tasmania AU

Started by Layback, March 27, 2015, 07:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Layback

Hi All,

I have been lurking in the background for a few months now taking advantage of the excellent resource of information and friendly banter I find on this forum. I live in Australia's island state Tasmania and like many members here, I bought a new FJ1100 in 1984 at the invincible age of 19 and now wish I had never sold it.

Trying to re-live my childhood (my wife's words), a few months ago I purchased two FJ1100s in pretty poor condition hoping to make one good one. Realistically they should both be used for spares.

I could go on and on about bikes and memories but I guess this is what the "campfire" is all about and there is plenty of opportunities to listen and chime in.

Finally, thanks for making my restoration project even more exciting knowing that I have backup from this community. I hope I can contribute in some way. Perhaps I can show fellow riders around our beautiful Island if you make the trip. Here is a link to a recent write-up by UK based Motorcycle News (MCN) of a four day ride around Tasmania. Unfortunately no FJs: https://youtu.be/nfc2qtOzeb0  (I think I put the link in right)

Cheers
Layback
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

ribbert

Welcome Layback,

My God, Tasmania and an FJ, you lucky bastard.
Yep, tons of help here.

Noel (Melbourne)
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJmonkey

Welcome Layback, Tasmania on a bike has been on my bucket list for a while now. That short clip just pushed it higher on the list. Thanks  :good2:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

Welcome to the group  :hi:

There are many members here that have similar backgrounds of purchasing an FJ in their youth and then letting go of it. Then 10, 15, 20 years later the need to have another comes back.

There are a few other members in Tasmania. Click on the following link and you may see a member or two near you.  :good:

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=10618.0

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Arnie

Welcome Layback,

Just got back from Tassie a couple of weeks ago. 
I was 'based' up in Bridport, but got around a bit, though I did miss Hobart this trip.
I was on my other bike as the FJ doesn't fit inside my van.
Still, a 750 seemed adequate except when a friend on a ZZR1200 strafed by me on the Lake Hwy at 'go to jail' pace.  That road is not glass smooth and there was a fair wind blowing, he said it got a bit flighty as he passed through 180 (and kept on going).
Anyhow, give a shout if you're in need or if you're coming to the "big" island.

Arnie

movenon

Welcome Layback !  Try to get to one of the rallies someday. Lots of good people and fun times.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

TexasDave

Welcome to the forum Layback.  Thanks for the link. Tasmania looks like near perfect motorcycle country. Good luck with the bikes. Now we know--where the Aussies go--when they feel the need for speed. Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

roverfj1200

1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

Mark Olson

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Layback

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Noel: Yes, Life is good. I had planned to fly to Melbourne this weekend to buy another FJ1100 but it sold on Thursday night. Not meant to be.

FJMonkey: Don't forget to dip into that bucket list a few times so it doesn't get too full.

Arnie: Thanks mate.. I will look you up when I'm over your way.

George: Looks like I just missed the Grafton Rally. It wouldn't be the same rocking up on my VTR1000 (it's the only bike running at the moment)

Dave: Glad you liked the video. We do have trouble in peak hour traffic when both cars get on the road at the same time.  :smile:
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

movenon

Quote from: Layback on March 27, 2015, 07:28:27 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Noel: Yes, Life is good. I had planned to fly to Melbourne this weekend to buy another FJ1100 but it sold on Thursday night. Not meant to be.

FJMonkey: Don't forget to dip into that bucket list a few times so it doesn't get too full.

Arnie: Thanks mate.. I will look you up when I'm over your way.

George: Looks like I just missed the Grafton Rally. It wouldn't be the same rocking up on my VTR1000 (it's the only bike running at the moment)

Dave: Glad you liked the video. We do have trouble in peak hour traffic when both cars get on the road at the same time.  :smile:

Layback, it's not the bike it's the rider :).. Other bikes show up at rally here. Not a problem. Just show up.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

oldktmdude

G'day Layback and welcome to the Forum. Great place to get any info on keeping your FJ on the road and a great resource for any mods you may be planning.
Quote from: FJmonkey on March 27, 2015, 07:56:08 AM
Welcome Layback, Tasmania on a bike has been on my bucket list for a while now. That short clip just pushed it higher on the list. Thanks  :good2:
Mark, let me know when you're heading to Tassie and I'll do my best to join you. It's very near the top of my bucket list also. 
                                                                                                                                                                            Regards, Pete. :good2:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Layback

Quote from: movenon link= :smile:topic=13557.msg136561#msg136561 date=1427504445
Layback, it's not the bike it's the rider :).. Other bikes show up at rally here. Not a problem. Just show up.
George

Thanks George,

I attended last Easter's Broadford Bonanza with a few mates. You should be able to pick my bike in the photo. It is at least 20 years younger than the others.

It is true what you say but isn't it a great feeling when you look the part.  :smile:
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

The General

:hi: Welcome layback. I`ll buy you a beer if you`re at Broadford next week.  :drinks:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

The General

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 27, 2015, 07:56:08 AM
Really!....ummmmm...the only difference between a dream & a goal....is a date!   U.S. Dollar is look`n good for you!   :praising:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka