News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

carb sync

Started by Cash Dereszynski, March 30, 2015, 06:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movenon

If you are 5 turns out on the fuel/air screws then I would suggest your pilot jets are either to lean or dirty. You should be closer to 2 to 3 turns out.  Not a fan of DynoJet but they will work.  The fuel/air screws and pilot jets effect your throttle opening mostly from 0 to 1/4 throttle.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Mark Olson

Quote from: movenon on April 05, 2015, 08:45:42 AM
If you are 5 turns out on the fuel/air screws then I would suggest your pilot jets are either to lean or dirty. You should be closer to 2 to 3 turns out.  Not a fan of DynoJet but they will work.  The fuel/air screws and pilot jets effect your throttle opening mostly from 0 to 1/4 throttle.
George

Yeah , what George Said... 5 turns way too much. you need new pilot jets. (bigger)
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Cash Dereszynski

Could it be float bowl height?

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.

movenon

Shooting in the dark here.  Your floats should be set at 22mm.  http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=9560.0  scroll down to the fifth post. Your pilot jets need to CLEAN.  And probably larger if you are 5 turns out.  Most of the FJ's that upgrade go to 40 or 42.5 Mikuni pilots.  Be aware that "DynoJet" jet numbers are not the same as Mikuni's. That's one of the reasons I don't like DynoJet conversions. I know , I had one...
George

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Once we got the carbs synced it idled well. There was an occasional pop coming from carb #1, I could see it on the manometer when it happened. I did not ride it so I can't help on throttle response at different positions.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Cash Dereszynski

Picture of plug before raising needle.

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.

Cash Dereszynski

Seafoam worked for me . Now the FJ feels like it should
A beast.

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.

Cash Dereszynski

It's still lean. 20 miles in town . With seafoam additive.

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.

Cash Dereszynski

On the advice of dynajet I've moved the needles up two notches. At times it runs at all throttle settings smoothly . Alternitely hesitating and popping other times .Also it's very cold blooded and warm up is two cigarettes . The symptom of surging and popping seems like fuel starvation so I'm suspecting the vacuum petcock maybe another possible source of the problems. I'm riding it but not too far from the home base. Got to Malibu turned back after it seems to be running out of gas, but by the time I got home it was strong again at all settings . WTF ? More riding to test what is really happening.

Pix is a gutter in Malibu FJ idleing for 10 minutes.

Cheers,

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.

FJmonkey

Cash, do the suck test on the vacuum line. leave it on the petcock, when you draw vacuum it should give a little then you should feel like the tube is plugged. If you can keep sucking air, then the hose or petcock is failing/failed. I had intermittent fuel feed issues on my '86 till I discovered the petcock was on its last legs.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

I hope you were kidding about your FJ idling for 10 minutes.

You think you have problems now....wait until you cook those exhaust valves.

Stop what you are doing. Take your carbs off. Drain the gas. Box them up and send them to RPM.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Cash Dereszynski

Quote from: Pat Conlon on April 20, 2015, 06:47:35 PM
I hope you were kidding about your FJ idling for 10 minutes.

You think you have problems now....wait until you cook those exhaust valves.

Stop what you are doing. Take your carbs off. Drain the gas. Box them up and send them to RPM.
That may be the next step. I've been Talking to RPM,I'd take them off,box um, and Ride there on my Beemer.

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.

Cash Dereszynski

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 20, 2015, 06:28:15 PM
Cash, do the suck test on the vacuum line. leave it on the petcock, when you draw vacuum it should give a little then you should feel like the tube is plugged. If you can keep sucking air, then the hose or petcock is failing/failed. I had intermittent fuel feed issues on my '86 till I discovered the petcock was on its last legs.
I'll try that.

Thnx

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.

Mark Olson

how is the gas cap vent? I see a magnetic tank bag in the pic ... they are known to cause a vacuum lock and starve carbs.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Cash Dereszynski

Quote from: Mark Olson on April 21, 2015, 02:34:22 AM
how is the gas cap vent? I see a magnetic tank bag in the pic ... they are known to cause a vacuum lock and starve carbs.
I never heard that one before.

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.