News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

carb sync

Started by Cash Dereszynski, March 30, 2015, 06:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cash Dereszynski

Carbs out of sync? Hose routing:vent, overflow. Wish I could attach a video / audio clip.
What are the symptoms.

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.

FJmonkey

Cash, I am not sure what the problem is based on the post. I have a manometer for balancing carbs, all we need is some time off for me to bring it along and sync your carbs. This way the sync can be ruled out of any running problems.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Urban_Legend

Some of the symptoms of carbs out of sync are - running rough, popping and back firing,  and generally running like shit. These are also symptoms of air leaks, bad plugs , bad fuel and probably half a dozen other things. But doing a sync is a good place to start, and while you have the tank off you can check the others things.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Cash Dereszynski

Dude

I texted you a clip. I have this, need my aux gas tank. Try again.  :dash2:

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.

Arnie

Cash,

I have the same set of cheap vac guages, and have had them for years. (paid $15 from JC Whitney)
Make sure you sync the guages BEFORE you use them to set your carbs.
You can do this fairly easily by connecting all 4 to a manifold (or 3 T fittings) and apply a constant vacuum.
See if all the needles point to the same number.

IF NOT (likely) you'll have to put a label on each gauge face to indicate a "common" point so you can set your carbs accurately.

Note: I've 'retired' my set of gauges and now use a different sync device.

FJmonkey

Dude

I texted you a clip. I have this, need my aux gas tank. Try again.  :dash2:

Cash

Here is my Aux tank...

My first attempt to view the vid had no sound... Now I can hear it... No clue, could be many issues. Need to rule out each one till nothing is left and the bike runs well.... So many variables in a bike that was essentially a basket case. Pods, clearly an open pipe. What was done to the carbs to open up the flow?

If you can sync them then that is not the problem. Check that box off for now and move on to the next possible issue. Have you checked the plugs, rich, lean?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

Mark now with your new and improved ride with a fuel pump you can just use a 1 gallon plastic gas container and just dip your fuel line hose into it. Sits nicely on top the battery box. Live on the edge...
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

X-Ray

I was a bit lazy and just ordered one of these tanks http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161231728531?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Still want to get the carb sync tool and compression tester though.
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Cash Dereszynski

uncalibrated first attempt. Calibration is the key, thanks for the insight.

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.

Cash Dereszynski

Because the way I'm suppling gas (under pressure) with a sprayer, the idle is inconsistant the gauges are useless and the sync adjustment screws seemingly do nothing. I'm concidering other solutions . Preferably plug and play. RPM full set. Who's done that? Can you ship the old carbs and have them redone to specification(headers/pod filters).
Or just a box with the answer inside,brand new carbs is the way to go? javascript:void(0);

Regards

Cash 
Fuck it,let's ride.

movenon

Speaking out of turn here but YES RPM can rebuild / set / bench adjust your carbs.  Send him an e mail from his site.  But I don't get why. Set up a gravity feed and sync. your carbs ?

Balance 1 & 2    then balance 3 & 4     Then with the center screw balance 1&2 to 3&4  Then repeat to fine tune.

George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Bones

Why use a pressure sprayer?? that would be applying heaps more pressure than even a fuel pump could supply and causing all sorts of problems. these things aren't fuel injected so you dont need any pressure for it to run. In fact you don't even need an aux tank to sync carbs, the fuel hose should be long enough to just pull the tank back, turn it 180 deg and sit it on the subframe, there's heaps of room that way to get at the screws and adjust.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

copper

Quote from: Cash Dereszynski on April 03, 2015, 11:44:14 PM
Preferably plug and play. RPM full set. Who's done that? Can you ship the old carbs and have them redone to specification(headers/pod filters).
Cash  

Randy has done my set twice over the years and I have been very happy both times. From the first time I removed the air box and against Randy's recommendation used K&N air filters because I had heard some many great things about them.

Well, forward about 2 years after the rebuild and I let the bike sit for a year and did not treat the fuel and they got all gummed up, so off to Randy again. Much to my disappointment he showed me pictures of my carbs and how bad the fitlers were and one after they were cleaned.

So, the second time I bought the RPM pod filters and have never looked back as just like is mentioned here a lot, I treat my fuel now with stabilzers to keep them from gumming up.

There have been a couple of carb rebuilds recently that other members have reported on that I remember.
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=13222.msg132942#msg132942
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=13317.msg133993#msg133993
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=10053.0

I think if you send him your carbs, you will not be disappointed with the results, I know myself and others have been happier than expected with the results.

Cash Dereszynski

Quote from: Bones on April 04, 2015, 02:06:22 AM
Why use a pressure sprayer?? that would be applying heaps more pressure than even a fuel pump could supply and causing all sorts of problems. these things aren't fuel injected so you dont need any pressure for it to run. In fact you don't even need an aux tank to sync carbs, the fuel hose should be long enough to just pull the tank back, turn it 180 deg and sit it on the subframe, there's heaps of room that way to get at the screws and adjust.
Good tip thanks

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.

Cash Dereszynski

Synced the carbs (with Help of Dr FJmoney) runs better soothed out. Adjusted air screws per dynojet 5 turns out, as it is. Still seams restricted under load. So next is needle adjustment. Or.....?

Cash
Fuck it,let's ride.