News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

I have turned to the Darkside

Started by roverfj1200, April 01, 2015, 05:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roverfj1200

Picked up this as the base for a build for a Big Adventure ride next year..

Not to good in the mud...

1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

oldktmdude

Quote from: roverfj1200 on April 01, 2015, 05:45:13 AM

Richard, first accessary you need to fit is a winch! Looking at Adventure bikes at the moment myself. Congrats on the KLR, they have a well deserved dedicated following.  :good2:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

roverfj1200

Quote from: oldktmdude on April 01, 2015, 05:50:48 AM
Quote from: roverfj1200 on April 01, 2015, 05:45:13 AM

Richard, first accessary you need to fit is a winch! Looking at Adventure bikes at the moment myself. Congrats on the KLR, they have a well deserved dedicated following.  :good2:

Picked the KLR because you can get just about any accessory you like. And cheep... And you can buy them for next to nicks..
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

FJmonkey

Not exactly the dark side, adventure is what we all seek, just need different tools to explore different adventures. Good to see you stayed vertical....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

charleygofast

If I were only allowed one bike to do it all It would be the KLR! those things are stone reliable go anywhere machines. A perfect example of " its fine, don't change what don't need to be changed just for the sake of change!" Good for you! Love the mud pic...thought this a chance to put on a pic of my sunken adventure on my 85sp600 taken in 1996. Lost in the woods, had to ride my wife's 125 double back to camp. Came back with a comealong the next day and got her out. We still talk about that trip 18 yrs later. It was quite the bonding experience for us as a new couple!                                                                                      Cheers!                                                                                                                                      Charley.
1984 Yamaha FJ 1100
1981 Yamaha XS 650
1985 Suzuki SP 600F
1979 Yamaha XS 1100                                                                      2015 Kawasaki KLR 650

Horse

G'day Rover, was checkin out the 1st pic & was gonna say,it's all great till you over cook a pea gravel corner &, &, you know the story  :wacko3: maybe a couple of vunerable bits here & there but we all got em hanging off somewhere A... Scroll to 2nd pic & realise you probably don't care THAT mutch for trivial shit anyway...  (popcorn) Go the KLR, I've been tryin to break a KLE 500 twin for 18 months now & I'm having a ball  :crazy: most of my bolt on acc. are home made though, on account of no one ever buying enough of them to warrant anyone ever building anything for the bloody things !!  SHIT !!  :dash1: :bomb: Made a 3.5 ltr aux. fuel tank out of a piece of sailboat mast that works a treat, 2nd. hand zorst $20 saved about 69 kilos !!! :biggrin:  2 sets of different tyres on 4 rims helps cause I have to ride it to work as well as play  :good: heavy as shit , low as hell, noisy as the neihbours hogglies, 14 ltr tank (best was 234 km) then 4ltr reserve, but I absolutely LOVE it :nyam2: Cost me $750 to buy it & have just kept modifying it, worn out FJ front springs drop straight in for the best ride EVER.... Done 3 adventure camps so far and have had a ball  :good2: ENJOY...
There is no great genius without some touch of madness
And Never Underestimate the Predictability of Stupidity !!

The General

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 01, 2015, 10:22:09 AM
Not exactly the dark side, adventure is what we all seek, just need different tools to explore different adventures. Good to see you stayed vertical....
Really miss my dirt bike....Gueess`n we all have another side, some darker than others. Last weekend I enjoyed a party with everybody having a bit on the side!....What do they call that?

Maybe we need a dirty section on this forum.

:drinks:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

roverfj1200

Looks like a few of us good ole dirty minded. I have over 140000km on the FJ and I have personally sat on it for 120000 of them. Seems I have ridden most of the roads on the east coast here and I have always said to myself where does that dirt road go. So now I am starting to find out. Booked in for the team moto KTM Adventure ride next month and really looking forward to it. Here are a few more pix from a 2 dayer I just did

http://s576.photobucket.com/user/roverfj1200/library/KLR/two%20dayer?sort=3&page=1

Got some big rides in the planning for next year so got to do some riding to get my wiggle back.

Cheers.
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

Bones

Hey Richard, You sure your not a long lost Leyland brother, because you certainly " travel all over the countryside". :biggrin:  Great pics and scenery, where abouts were they taken.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

roverfj1200

Quote from: Bones on May 26, 2015, 03:43:21 AM
Hey Richard, You sure your not a long lost Leyland brother, because you certainly " travel all over the countryside". :biggrin:  Great pics and scenery, where abouts were they taken.

Its Mt Mee. Conondale. Wartten forest. Cooloola way. Jimna. Roundabout....
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

Fj.itis

Awesome adventure bikes boys, just bought a drz400 just setting it up now for a few long hauls. Want to do the telegraph track next year and simpson one day.

Cheers

Chris

jo-sommer

@RoverFJ1200: Replace the original Doohickey by the aftermarket one from EagleMike before starting long-runs with the KLR; the stock part is too weak and will either bend or break.
Kawa Dealers deny knowing about this but this little item caused quite a lot of KLR engine breakdowns.

btw a great bike, mine is running at 126000 kms on it now...

Cheers Jo
having fun

roverfj1200

Quote from: jo-sommer on June 23, 2015, 08:35:28 AM
@RoverFJ1200: Replace the original Doohickey by the aftermarket one from EagleMike before starting long-runs with the KLR; the stock part is too weak and will either bend or break.
Kawa Dealers deny knowing about this but this little item caused quite a lot of KLR engine breakdowns.

btw a great bike, mine is running at 126000 kms on it now...

Cheers Jo

Thanks Jo the doo is done and now farkling good stuff...

Cheers
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.