News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

1993 Restoration

Started by wirehairs, April 12, 2015, 03:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJmonkey

Quote from: wirehairs on April 18, 2016, 10:53:42 AM
And if I need to replace the rubber components in my master clutch/brake cylinder, I welcome suggestions on where to purchase the kits in the US and good brands.

Check with Randy for the seal/rebuild kits for the master and slave.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

racerrad8

Randy - RPM

wirehairs

OK, so the o-rings have been replaced on my carbs along with the bowl gaskets, and I'll reassemble them tomorrow.  With everything off the bike, I've taken the opportunity to install handlebar risers from RPM.  But here's the thing: neither of my two manuals seem to accurately show what's in my forks.  I have the 93 ABS one.  When I removed the right fork cap, I could look down and see a disk completely covering the shaft a few inches down.  But when I removed the fork cap on the left side, it was under pressure, and a disk flew out and revealed a spacer tube that doesn't seem to belong on the 93 model.  That disk that flew out is of a smaller diameter than the tube.  So, it appears to me that the right fork is different from the left one.  Of course, I had closed up the left fork two days ago, so now I'm doubting what I saw, but it would be hard to not notice that there wasn't a loose cap in there.  Here's a pic of the left hand fork:

the fan

At some point someone installed aftermarket springs. Nothing to worry about.

wirehairs

Quote from: the fan on April 23, 2016, 04:50:43 PM
At some point someone installed aftermarket springs. Nothing to worry about.

And those aftermarket springs are shorter, and thus required the spacer, is that it?

wirehairs

Hhmm.  One of these Galfer lines seems a little short for the line it's replacing.  Anyone deal with something like this?  Because it's right under the airbox, I don't have the room to bend it up.

FJmonkey

Cap'n Ron, you replaced your lines on your ABS bike. Any help for the poor old sod?

wirehairs

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 25, 2016, 03:37:17 PM
Cap'n Ron, you replaced your lines on your ABS bike. Any help for the poor old sod?

I contacted Galfter, and they said this particular line should be 5" long, and since it's 6", they are sending me a replacement.  One more issue solved!

wirehairs

So, I'm still not riding.  Today, I figured out that the little flat rubber washers at the connection of the two halves of all 3 brake calipers don't appear on the Yamaha parts diagrams.  So, the local Yamaha place couldn't figure out a part number to order them.  What the heck?  Someone help me out here!

FJmonkey

These parts are not intended to to be replaced, if not damaged or lost can be reused. Otherwise a suitable replacement will need to be sourced.

copper

I got mine from Randy. Here is a link http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M%2FC%3ACaliperORing if it doesn't work simply search "Brake Caliper" I'll let you handle it from there.

wirehairs

Since they are in good condition, I decided to spray them with some silicone spray and reinstall them.  :)  Thanks for the input!

racerrad8

Quote from: wirehairs on May 09, 2016, 09:20:41 AM
Since they are in good condition, I decided to spray them with some silicone spray and reinstall them.  :)  Thanks for the input!

Silicone might be a problem if you are sticking with DOT 3 fluid.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

wirehairs

After my brake overhaul, my front pads are dragging.  I've decided it's because I didn't pay attention to which pads were where when I took them off, so in putting them back randomly, they now need to re-mate, so to speak, with the disks.  That's my hope, anyways.

New concern: I've had some gas leaking out my overflow tube, and decided to clean out my gas cap.  However, in reassembling it, I can't get it closed properly.  Based on this picture, are they in the right order?  Dumb question, I'm sure, but I can't figure it out, even though I took pictures as I was taking it apart. 

wirehairs

Oops!  Nevermind!  I see now that I had the plate in the wrong order.  Silly me!   :crazy: