News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

FJ1200 with a bit of Exup ru and a bit of R1 big bang

Started by Russfjr1, April 14, 2015, 05:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russfjr1

Well this is my project and it should be on the road this summer (famous last words)
So I bought this FJ a little while ago a nice running ABS model I then acquired the big heavy duty (but light) under-braced swinging arm off a late R1, two R1 rear wheels one 3 spoke the other 5 then come the Exup ru usd front end complete with wheel 6 pot calipers top, bottom yokes and speedo drive. I also have another r1 front 3 spoke wheel (after a 5 spoke).  First thing was off with all the plastic bit's and start the plastic welding, just a few age related cracks on most of the bolt holes, now as much as I like the looks of the FJ I do like twin headlamps so while the plastic welder is out .... found a cbr600rr top fairing on ebay like new had to have it, then again on ebay got a new twin headlamp for the cbr600rr (1995). Loads of chopping welding grinding more chopping and it's not looking bad IMO (will ad photos soon). All plastics done and in two pack primer. Swinging arm mmmmm deep thought, measuring more thinking measuring then cut off 14mm off the right side then using a combination of the R1 inner sleeve and the FJ swing arm pin / bolt it fitted with space both sides for dust / dirt caps. I made these on the lathe out of aluminium complete with internal grooves for "o" rings. Rear shock, standard FJ  and perfect central fit in the hole of the arm the triangles however are still being made and thought about. The front end was removed offered up the Exup front it fitted with no big problems just had to mod the turn stops on the bottom yoke and take about 15mm off the pins the ignition switch bolts to, drill it tap it job done even the steering lock works .... happy days   :yahoo:  Next post will be with more info and photos.  Russ   
+   
It's about as useful as a chocolate fire guard
Current bikes in the stables

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Honda Monkey-bike z50m 1967
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2
Triumph Daytona 600 (daughters)
Honda CBR1000RR (daughters)

movenon

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Country Joe

Quote from: Russfjr1 on April 14, 2015, 05:30:52 PM
Well this is my project and it should be on the road this summer (famous last words)
So I bought this FJ a little while ago a nice running ABS model I then acquired the big heavy duty (but light) under-braced swinging arm off a late R1, two R1 rear wheels one 3 spoke the other 5 then come the Exup ru usd front end complete with wheel 6 pot calipers top, bottom yokes and speedo drive. I also have another r1 front 3 spoke wheel (after a 5 spoke).  First thing was off with all the plastic bit's and start the plastic welding, just a few age related cracks on most of the bolt holes, now as much as I like the looks of the FJ I do like twin headlamps so while the plastic welder is out .... found a cbr600rr top fairing on ebay like new had to have it, then again on ebay got a new twin headlamp for the cbr600rr (1995). Loads of chopping welding grinding more chopping and it's not looking bad IMO (will ad photos soon). All plastics done and in two pack primer. Swinging arm mmmmm deep thought, measuring more thinking measuring then cut off 14mm off the right side then using a combination of the R1 inner sleeve and the FJ swing arm pin / bolt it fitted with space both sides for dust / dirt caps. I made these on the lathe out of aluminium complete with internal grooves for "o" rings. Rear shock, standard FJ  and perfect central fit in the hole of the arm the triangles however are still being made and thought about. The front end was removed offered up the Exup front it fitted with no big problems just had to mod the turn stops on the bottom yoke and take about 15mm off the pins the ignition switch bolts to, drill it tap it job done even the steering lock works .... happy days   :yahoo:  Next post will be with more info and photos.  Russ   
+   

Welcome, ya mad modder!!!
1993 FJ 1200

jscgdunn

This might be helpful....I have done the same but I see my picture management is not good.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=3148.0
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

Russfjr1

Modified fairing to twin headlight, new headlight from cbr600rr 2005

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Russfjr1

If I get enough interest I know someone who can make a mould from this to produce others! The good thing with that would be a uniform interior and possibly lighter in carbon

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Russfjr1

Front end, had to drill the lugs for the turn stops added m6 screws (flat head to hit the stop) now adjustable turn stops  :good2: the ignition posts had to be cut down but having done this simple mod everything works including steering lock just as it should. The complete front end is from a Exup RU 1000 with some really nice calipers, 12 pots of stopping power! That will come in very handy trying to stop from the dizzy heights of 30mph 

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Russfjr1

Handle bars !!!! made these bar holder oners from billet aluminium aircraft grade of course  :smile: . As for the bars the item you can see (just) in the photo is only for mock up I think the bars that will be used might be flat with a bit of pull back.

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Russfjr1

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Pat Conlon

Ok Russ, you have me hooked..... I like what your vision and what you have done. I admire your skills.

You are a interesting fellow.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Country Joe

Quote from: Russfjr1 on April 15, 2015, 05:25:15 AM
If I get enough interest I know someone who can make a mould from this to produce others! The good thing with that would be a uniform interior and possibly lighter in carbon

:good2:
1993 FJ 1200

Pat Conlon

I see Russ has a late model ABS bike, I wonder if that fairing could be made to fit the early FJ's?

I really like the larger air scoops for cooling the top end vs. the small scoops we have on our early bikes.

Yea, I'm gonna follow this build closely...
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Russfjr1

Thanks for the comments much appreciated when others like things I have done  :good:  Did a bit more to the rear end today, it's totally amazing how little work is actually needed to get things to line up like the chain and getting the wheel central to the bike. With the chain ... simple, made a 3mm spacer for the front sprocket, you can still use the original nut just turn it around so the recess part is to the outside. I will use a bit of thread lock on this as well as the lock tab. The rear end just needed 3mm off the outer spacer from the sprocket side that put the chain to within a couple of mm, I could and will if needed turn the sprocket around to gain a bit more from the recess on the sprocket and because of the s arm having some taken off it to fit the frame the wheel is within 1mm of centre. So not a bad day and I get to keep my 190 tyre.  Just need to make a small spacer caliper side and make the rectangular lug bigger by about 5mm in depth (it stands out on the bracket and locates in the s arm in place of a torque arm)     

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Russfjr1

Quote from: Pat Conlon on April 15, 2015, 12:15:36 PM
I see Russ has a late model ABS bike, I wonder if that fairing could be made to fit the early FJ's?

I really like the larger air scoops for cooling the top end vs. the small scoops we have on our early bikes.

Yea, I'm gonna follow this build closely...

Anything can be made to fit with a little thought ..... and a big hammer  :good2:

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Russfjr1

just a few photos of the rear, main bit going on next is the triangle (last photo). The shock has good travel just need to get the measurements correct to get a nice ride from the rear, have made the adjustable dog bone now trying to figure a way to produce an adjustable triangle but retain strength and keep the dimensions within reason.... might have to use titanium or something to make it compact but strong.

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2