News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

FJ1200 with a bit of Exup ru and a bit of R1 big bang

Started by Russfjr1, April 14, 2015, 05:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copper

Russ, check out this install by another member last year. Scroll down and you can see the aluminum triangle linkage he made which looks like it has a ton of adjustablity.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=10883.0

Russfjr1

Hi Copper just had a look at that set up and looks to have a multitude of possibilities. One difference on the later R1 which I have is the dog bone is wing arm side and triangles are mounted to the frame, however, that should not affect the way they work as long as you get the geometry right. I can see on Candieandy's set up the use of the adjustable dog bone with rose joints same as I have made but I can't see bearings for the bolts / pivot point for the triangle on the arm, possibly built into the spacer? I will have to ask.   
It's about as useful as a chocolate fire guard
Current bikes in the stables

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Honda Monkey-bike z50m 1967
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2
Triumph Daytona 600 (daughters)
Honda CBR1000RR (daughters)

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: Russfjr1 on April 15, 2015, 05:47:47 AM
These two help with making things   :good2:

Yessir, that's a nice little setup. You'll fit in here. Making stuff ROCKS!

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

Ron10

1978 Maico 450
1980 Honda CB 750F
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
2004 Suzuki Vstrom

axiom-r

Quote from: Russfjr1 on April 15, 2015, 05:19:59 PM
Thanks for the comments much appreciated when others like things I have done  :good:  Did a bit more to the rear end today, it's totally amazing how little work is actually needed to get things to line up like the chain and getting the wheel central to the bike. With the chain ... simple, made a 3mm spacer for the front sprocket, you can still use the original nut just turn it around so the recess part is to the outside. I will use a bit of thread lock on this as well as the lock tab. The rear end just needed 3mm off the outer spacer from the sprocket side that put the chain to within a couple of mm, I could and will if needed turn the sprocket around to gain a bit more from the recess on the sprocket and because of the s arm having some taken off it to fit the frame the wheel is within 1mm of centre. So not a bad day and I get to keep my 190 tyre.  Just need to make a small spacer caliper side and make the rectangular lug bigger by about 5mm in depth (it stands out on the bracket and locates in the s arm in place of a torque arm)     

Russ- have you refitted the sprocket cover yet with your Counter Shaft sprocket spacer in?  I had to switch to a cover from the XJR with a little bit of grinding to nip off the top corner of it for easy of mounting and removal.  The XJR cover has about 5MM more space behind it and allows the off set sprocket condition.  You will need the XJR clutch push rod too - again 5mm (or so) longer.  Randy at RPM had this kit ready for me and it kept the whole conversion looking very factory.

Tim
1992 FJ1200 w 2007 R1 Front & Rear

Russfjr1

Not had a look at the cover yet so could be something to look at next to get anything I might need.  Thanks for the heads up  Russ

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Russfjr1

Had a look at the front sprocket, added a 3.5mm spacer to the rear of it and retained the tab washer, rear end simply reversed the sprocket so the relief is to the inside, over the distance between front and rear sprockets looking at quite a bit less than 2mm ... that should be fine.
Now the cover, well, all looks to be ok! but what is the steel plate bolted to the inside? not taken it off yet to have a look.  I think I should have clearance for the chain but until I get it I can take measurement from the old one as with this swing arm being about 2" longer I need a longer chain  :wacko3: . I think 4 links would work but going to get 6 links just to be on the safe side, my old chain has 56 links so a 62 link will be on order asap. Please jump in and tell me if I am missing anything.   

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Mark Olson

Steel plate is for protection if the chain wads up...Ankle saver .

you want to count your chain links again ....stock is 110 links.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Russfjr1

Today's work was handle bars, got some 22mm ally with 3.2mm wall and decided to go with flat bars because of the size of the risers (handlebar holder onners) I have made. I wanted a bit of pull back so I put them in the bender at the centre to make a nice set of V bars, all good. Drilled the holes for the location lugs for switchgear matching the original FJ bars and job done. I find it strange that the switchgear have location lugs but not the brake or clutch? from an engineering / safety point of view should that not be the other way around? anyway they are on and pics to follow.

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Russfjr1

Quote from: Mark Olson on April 18, 2015, 03:44:52 PM
Steel plate is for protection if the chain wads up...Ankle saver .

you want to count your chain links again ....stock is 110 links.

lol I only counted one side  :blush: and not that well by the sound of it  :rofl: So would that take the chain I need to 122 links ?  as for the steel plate
I did think it was for that but not sure

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Mark Olson

I don't know , You have the longer swingarm and I am sure there is a way to figure it out ..

I would ask Tim ...axiom-r cause he has that setup on his FJ.  Try sending him a pm.

Or measure how many links is 2" and x2 then add that to the 110.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Harvy

Russ, the FZ1 swingarm on mine is around the 2" longer mark also....... a 120 link chain will give you extra - just cut off what you don't need.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

Russfjr1

Quote from: Harvy on April 18, 2015, 04:33:13 PM
Russ, the FZ1 swingarm on mine is around the 2" longer mark also....... a 120 link chain will give you extra - just cut off what you don't need.

Harvy

That's my thought exactly, for the cost of a couple or so links buy extra junk what you don't need.

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Russfjr1

ok back to the handle bars, these are the one's I have made

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2

Russfjr1

The good thing with the risers (handlebar holder onners) being a single m12 bolt fixing they can turn  :smile: so I can get nice straight bars but with a few degrees of pull back ! I did try bending others but the flying 'v'  is the one I like.  The mop on the end of the bar is lesson learned from to many knocks on the head   :dash2:   In the last photo is the start of the making of my mirrors.

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2