News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Just signed up

Started by Grilldemon, April 17, 2015, 11:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grilldemon

Hello from Central Alberta. I just picked up an 86 FJ1200 (1W7) for gratis. It's missing a few pieces, and the previous owner took the motor apart. It'll be my upcoming winter project. I also have a 1985 Honda Vf1000F Interceptor (my daily driver) and a 1982 Yamaha XS400J that is 3/4 done for my wife. I love to cook delicious food on my smoker and grill, and I'm a total motorcycle nut. Looking forward to sharing and interacting with fellow members to help me get this awesome machine on the road again.

So first question, where can I find a downloadable service manual??

Thanks for signing me up
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul

FJmonkey

Awesome!!! Another '86 (Ambulance rider) in the group and potential BBQ run if I ever make up to our friends in Canada... Welcome to the FJ world...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum  :hi:

Here is a link for manuals in PDF format. Hope it helps. http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=5067.0

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: Grilldemon on April 17, 2015, 11:31:38 AM
I just picked up an 86 FJ1200 (1W7) for gratis.

Gratis is good.  :good2:

Welcome!
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Firehawk068

Welcome!  :hi:

Smoked Meat is always good!  :drinks:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Capn Ron

FJ owner, smokes meat, engine builder, wife rides, speaks in complete sentences, Canadian...I like this guy already!   :good2:
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

jscgdunn

Welcome!
Just down the road here at Bragg Creek.....these are great bikes....

Jeff
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

jscgdunn

Oh....and I do have a bunch of parts here as well....let me know what you need..

Jeff
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

Mark Olson

Welcome to the group ,  :hi:

The 86 fj is a great year ... good choice and the price was right .  :biggrin:

Lots of info here in the files for putting it back together.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

movenon

Welcome ! As you can see, lots of help here. Some of these members have 31 years of experience with the FJ's so ask questions as you go or think about them. You might check out RPM's web site. Lots of good stuff there and Randy is an FJ rider.  http://www.rpmracingca.com/products.asp?cat=39. And here is a good site for checking out OEM Yamaha parts http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/yamaha-parts.html  One of many. Not affiliated with either business other than being a customer.  Jeff (jscgdunn) is a good source for information also.  :drinks:
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

fj johnnie

Welcome aboard to another Canadian. The FJ is a fine machine to work on. And better machine to ride. The guys on here are first rate. Any help you need will gladly be given.

Grilldemon

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Jscgdunn, I  will be contacting you regarding some parts. The previous owner is looking for the missing pieces, but I like to have a backup plan.

FJ monkey, I am unfamiliar with the term ambulance rider, can you elaborate??

And yes, Gratis is good. A guy needs a break once in awhile.

CapnRon, thank you for noticing my reasonably correct sentence structure. I was taught how to spell and construct proper sentences in school. This seems to be lacking in today's society. Texting has made it worse.
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul

FJmonkey

Quote from: Grilldemon on April 17, 2015, 08:24:25 PM

FJ monkey, I am unfamiliar with the term ambulance rider, can you elaborate??

Sure...

The '89 Silver and White is known as the "Theft Deterrent" color.... Then we have the "Pink Stripe".... Don't get me started.....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Capn Ron

Quote from: Grilldemon on April 17, 2015, 08:24:25 PM

CapnRon, thank you for noticing my reasonably correct sentence structure. I was taught how to spell and construct proper sentences in school. This seems to be lacking in today's society. Texting has made it worse.

fwiw, u r rght irt txting!  rotflmao!   :lol:

The acronyms are just a lazy carry-over from number pad mobile phones where you'd have to tap the "9" key three times to get a "Y"...  The writer now is basically putting all the work on the reader to decode this seeming gibberish.  Communication is tough enough as it is...rarely is what you just said interpreted in exactly the way you meant it.  That's in a face-to-face conversation.  Add the absence of body language and expression of typed messages...layer in some laziness in actually spelling out a complete word?  AND...then try to talk about a technical topic where "firing", "cranking" or "turning over" aren't interpreted the same with every reader and it's near hopeless.   :scratch_one-s_head:

If you throw in the occasional "eh?", being Canadian, you'll get a complete pass.   :good2:

Would love to see some pictures of the new project!
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

1tinindian

Welcome, eh!
I will be you friendly Pink stripe guide into the craziness, 1st, and foremost, don't take a lot of us too serious, (unless we are talking safety) as we are well known to be completely full of shit, most of the time.
I'm proud to say that I have been VERY fortunate to have met most of our regular posters to the forum, face to face at many of our yearly rallies.

2nd, get your ass to a rally sometime, as soon as your ride is up and running, you'll never regret it!

One last thing, and this comes from the heart, I feel I have some of my greatest friendship in my life with the bunch of lunatics, but the strange thing is, I only get to see some of them only once a year.

I'm pleased you have decided to join our group and we look forward to meeting!

Leon
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200