News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

squeeking noise

Started by FJ lover, September 17, 2014, 12:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ lover

Hello, i am a newbie here and have a question about a squeaking noise.
when I pull my clutchlever it dis sapears.
Does somebody know what I need to do??

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: FJ lover on September 17, 2014, 12:31:14 PM
Does somebody know what I need to do??

For starters, it would be great if you provide more information on the squeak itself, other than "it disappears when I pull the clutch lever in".

1. Where does it seem to emanate from, front, back, engine, wheel(s), body, chassis...?

2. Is it continuous, or does it come and go?

3. Does it get louder and softer during any particular operation of the motorcycle, such as on and off the brakes, turning, on and off the gas?

4. What is the present condition of your motorcycle, how many miles are on it?

There's a need for more detail from you, to possibly help.

Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

FJ lover

Sorry, that I didn't explain it enough.
The noise is there when I'm driving between 5 and 25 mph,the engine runs normal and the noise is coming from behind the clutchcover. When I pull the clutchlever at this speed the noise is gone.
My bike has driven 65.000 miles now (FJ 1200 3XW from 1994)
The noise sounds like a bearing which is wornout, so I think that I have to do some overhauling of the clutch but I want to know
if somebody had experieneced this problem also and could give some advice.
I have tried an engineflush (adviced here in the netherlands) and oil change, but this didn't help.

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: FJ lover on September 17, 2014, 03:37:33 PM
the noise is coming from behind the clutchcover.

Unless someone here has experienced what you're describing and can provide a quick diagnosis, and advice on a repair, you may want to go into the clutch pack and take a look at all of the piece parts. Maybe you'll find the source of your squealing there.

Here is a link that walks you through the disassembly of the clutch pack and some modifications to it...

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=1808.msg14307#msg14307

Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Arnie

IF its a bearing, its probably #17 on this XPD.  http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1993/FJ1200AE/CLUTCH/parts.html

This is functioning as a 'throwout bearing' but should have had a regular supply of oil, so its rare to be worn.
That is a common bearing (6003) and you should be able to get one at any bearing shop.

However, I'd want to check the clutch very carefully to make sure that the nut holding the hub in place is not loose.  Get a spare cover gasket before you open it up, just in case :-)

FJ lover

Ok, thanks for your advice.
now I know what I can check and what to overhaul.
I'll let You know what I have found :good2:

mark1969

Quote from: Arnie on September 17, 2014, 09:45:22 PM
IF its a bearing, its probably #17 on this XPD.  http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1993/FJ1200AE/CLUTCH/parts.html

This is functioning as a 'throwout bearing' but should have had a regular supply of oil, so its rare to be worn.
That is a common bearing (6003) and you should be able to get one at any bearing shop.

Question: Would a 6003 C3 bearing be ok as a replacement or does it have to be the higher temperature 6003 C4 that Yamaha specify? I ask because the Yamaha original is 5 times the price of a C3 over here in the UK...or am I being a cheapskate?

Arnie

I can't imagine that there will be ANY difference in this application.
That bearing should have a regular supply of oil which will keep it cool.
I bought a bearing to replace my original when I replaced my clutch plates and decided that the original was still fine.
I now have about 150K kms on the bike and am still using the OEM bearing.
Cheap is frequently good. :yes:

mark1969

Quote from: Arnie on April 22, 2015, 11:12:16 PM
I can't imagine that there will be ANY difference in this application.
That bearing should have a regular supply of oil which will keep it cool.
I bought a bearing to replace my original when I replaced my clutch plates and decided that the original was still fine.
I now have about 150K kms on the bike and am still using the OEM bearing.
Cheap is frequently good. :yes:

Thank you. Mine is noisy when you turn by hand and noisy when running. I will replace and monitor..   :good2: