News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Just signed up

Started by Grilldemon, April 17, 2015, 11:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Ron

Quote from: Grilldemon on April 17, 2015, 08:24:25 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

FJ monkey, I am unfamiliar with the term ambulance rider, can you elaborate??

Grilldemon...

Here's hoping you don't, but if you EVER do a low-side on a twisty mountain road...you'll be happy that your riding buddy pulls right up on an FJ that is painted like an ambulance.  Don't ask me how I know...I just know.   :yes:
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

Capn Ron

Quote from: 1tinindian on April 18, 2015, 01:01:22 AM
2nd, get your ass to a rally sometime, as soon as your ride is up and running, you'll never regret it!

I feel I have some of my greatest friendship in my life with the bunch of lunatics, but the strange thing is, I only get to see some of them only once a year.
Leon

Make that once every TWO years ya bastaaaad!   :biggrin:

Yep...highly encourage anyone here to show up at a rally.  I missed the 2012 Boone rally by a few days.  I now know what I missed out on after attending the west coast rallys.  Great rides, great campfire stories and friendships to last a lifetime!   :good2:
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

Grilldemon

CApnRon, some pics for you. Here is what I am starting with. I have a fair bit of work to do. Also included is a pic of mama's XS400J, which is 3/4 done. I have to finish that first, or I will be in big trouble with mama. The last one is Stella, my Interceptor. I have pretty much rebuilt it from the ground up also. (Need to do cams this winter, I have a spare engine for it).
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul

Mark Olson

Nice group of projects,  :good2:

As long as you have the major pieces its all good to go . You have a bit of wrench time ahead of you.  :drinks:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

FJmonkey

Quote from: Capn Ron on April 18, 2015, 01:18:48 AM
Quote from: Grilldemon on April 17, 2015, 08:24:25 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Grilldemon...

Here's hoping you don't, but if you EVER do a low-side on a twisty mountain road...you'll be happy that your riding buddy pulls right up on an FJ that is painted like an ambulance.  Don't ask me how I know...I just know.   :yes:

Too bad I did not get a video of that, clearing the blind corner and suddenly I had two objects to avoid. an FJ on its side and it's owner just getting vertical. I split the difference and went between them (it was the biggest gap). 
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

1tinindian

Quote from: Capn Ron on April 18, 2015, 01:40:03 AM
Quote from: 1tinindian on April 18, 2015, 01:01:22 AM
2nd, get your ass to a rally sometime, as soon as your ride is up and running, you'll never regret it!

I feel I have some of my greatest friendship in my life with the bunch of lunatics, but the strange thing is, I only get to see some of them only once a year.
Leon

Make that once every TWO years ya bastaaaad!   :biggrin:

Well, to be specific, I have been to "AT LEAST", (A) rally, once a years since 2011.
The only repeat visit that I have done, is the ECFR this past year so my son could tame the Dragon, which he did quite well,  I must say.

My next repeat would have to be a WCR, sometime in the future. (I loved being near the ocean)!

But, I have made a pact with myself to make at least 1 rally per year, and I have been lucky enough to have done that , so far.

It sucks I don't have more time off to do the things that make me happy!

Leon
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

jscgdunn

Interesting pics....my boys each started off with those same 400's.  Great little bikes...bullet proof power train.  We assembled one of them from two parts bikes, and it was my intro and rite of passage to rebuilding CV carbs,

My oldest son (who was 18 at the time)  got his license on April 15th of that year.  We got the bike running about a week later, and on May 1 he rode it to Tofino and back. 

Jeff   
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

red

Quote from: Grilldemon on April 17, 2015, 08:24:25 PMThanks to all for the warm welcome.
Grilldemon,

The red-and-white FJs are often called "ambulances," only due to the color scheme. 
It is not any reference to the safety or reliability of the bike, or to the skills of the rider.
I like mine, just fine as it is.  I think it stands out as a "collector's item" in the biker world
(meaning that some parts may be hard to find, these days).  So, I'm a proud 'n' happy "ambulance rider."
Welcome to the fray.     :hi:   

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

fjfool

Griddlemon, welcome
i must admit, i was undressing your girl (the interceptor) with my eyes
i feel they are one of the most beautiful bikes ever built
i have yet to own one , or ride one for that matter,  honestly working on that bike seems a bit daunting -i see that v-design getting very tight in the frame and making things like valve adjustments tough
nonetheless, its just beautiful!
a rich friend of mine got a 500 when we were 16, i really liked him but, i woulda stuck a knife in his back for that bike :diablo:

Grilldemon

Quote from: fjfool on April 19, 2015, 09:28:17 AM
Griddlemon, welcome
i have yet to own one , or ride one for that matter,  honestly working on that bike seems a bit daunting -i see that v-design getting very tight in the frame and making things like valve adjustments tough

Ya, she's a bitch to work on. Good thing is, you don't have to do it that often.
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul

sebwiers

Quote from: red on April 19, 2015, 08:52:44 AM
Quote from: Grilldemon on April 17, 2015, 08:24:25 PMThanks to all for the warm welcome.
Grilldemon,

The red-and-white FJs are often called "ambulances," only due to the color scheme.

Huh, I figured it was for whizzing by traffic at high speed.   

Joke, that's the rider, but I have noticed people are more likely to give the FJ room than, say, my old black GL.  I haven't changed up my riding gear any (hi viz on both).  I think something about the combo of hi viz and red / white bike triggers police / emergency vehicle identification circuits in the brain, fooling them for long enough to give me some extra passing space.  I find I use my horn WAY less often.

FJmonkey

Quote from: sebwiers on April 19, 2015, 11:40:00 AM
I find I use my horn WAY less often.

Don't cheap out on a horn, loud as you can afford. With a quick stab of your thumb you can become very visible...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side