News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Glad to be here

Started by Johnny2stent, April 19, 2015, 04:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny2stent

Hello all, happy to find this source of knowledge and enthusiasm for the Fj.  Recently acquired a thoroughly trashed '87 for the pleasure of rebuilding.  Haven't wrenched in 30+ years and current health issues greatly limit frequency and duration that I can, but I really enjoy it and I am very appreciative of any help members here might provide.  Going to do a complete tear down and rebuild with a mind toward reliable, practical, high mileage travel. Still have a lot of places to see and people to meet.  Happy to be joining this association of apparently great guys.
Best regards, John
I don't need you to tell me how good my coffee is. I'm the one who buys it.

movenon

Welcome ! Ask questions as you go on the rebuild. What part of the world are you located ? You might have some FJ neighbors :)
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Welcome John, are you gonna keep it Red and White (Ambulance colors)? Where in the world are you?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Johnny2stent

Quote from: movenon on April 19, 2015, 04:05:57 PM
Welcome ! Ask questions as you go on the rebuild. What part of the world are you located ? You might have some FJ neighbors :). 
George
Hello George, Thx for the welcome.  I am in Orange County, CA.  This is my first participation in a forum, so I am still learning how to utilize its features.  I suspect there is a way to find neighbors?

Johnny2stent

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 19, 2015, 07:16:31 PM
Welcome John, are you gonna keep it Red and White (Ambulance colors)? Where in the world are you?
Thank you Monkey. I am in Yorba Linda, CA.  Not sure what I will do re: plastics.  Contemplating the prospect of making my own fairing/windscreen and other bits.  I'm old school in that I like to see the mechanical parts on bikes.  Hope that's not heresy in these parts.

Steve_in_Florida

Nice to meet you, John.  :hi:

This is a pretty good intro to forums, as we're pretty forgiving. Can't say the same for some of the others out there.

It must be something about these bikes.

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

FJmonkey

Quote from: Johnny2stent on April 19, 2015, 08:02:50 PM
Thank you Monkey. I am in Yorba Linda, CA.  Not sure what I will do re: plastics.  Contemplating the prospect of making my own fairing/windscreen and other bits.  I'm old school in that I like to see the mechanical parts on bikes.  Hope that's not heresy in these parts.

John, feel free to do exactly what you want to your FJ, and post pics along with a build report. There are few custom builds going on right now, a street fighter build that I have seen and ridden with and on (http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=13281.msg137871#msg137871). And another with a turbo (http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=11323.msg136890#msg136890). We love to see this stuff, especially when its done well... As our bikes get older we are happy to see they get any kind love and kept on the road. 

Plenty of help here in SoCal, I just spent today getting help from Father Pat polishing up my forks and RPM exhaust (look for a new post on this). We have an annual rally coming up, not sure if you can make it. You don't need a bike to attend.  And another rally a week after a bit further away that is looking like a really good turn out. So if you want meet up with a bunch of FJ owners then plan to attend. Otherwise you might make a smaller ride here in SoCal...

Johnny2stent

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on April 19, 2015, 08:23:45 PM
Nice to meet you, John.  :hi:

This is a pretty good intro to forums, as we're pretty forgiving. Can't say the same for some of the others out there.

It must be something about these bikes.

Thank you Steve.  Its evident a lot of work must go into building and maintaining this.  Hats off to whoever is pulling the levers and greasing the wheels.

Steve

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: Johnny2stent on April 19, 2015, 08:36:55 PM

Its evident a lot of work must go into building and maintaining this.  Hats off to whoever is pulling the levers and greasing the wheels.

John,
The "behind the scenes" credit goes to Marsh, our web site administrator. He and a small handful of volunteer helpers keep things running smoothly.

The monetary "grease" is generously supplied by us minions in the form of donations. If and when you are so inclined, there's a "Donate" button at the bottom of each page. No pressure, but we all reap the benefits (and you gain the respect of your peers).

When you figure out how to post pictures, we'd love to see your project.

Remember to use the "Preview" button, to make sure your post looks the way you expect it to appear to the world.

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

Mark Olson

Welcome John,  :hi:

Take your time with the rebuild and ask away if you have questions .. There is a files section with all kinds of info on projects and upgrades .

The search feature kinda sucks for finding specific answers so be patient .

There are a bunch of members around the LA area that get together and wrench and ride.  :drinks:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

FJmonkey

John, I just remembered that I have a spare lower fairing in need of repair. I was going to use it as one of my "learn to weld plastic" projects. When I am finished it will need to be repainted, possibly new heat shield and decals to look original. But I am sure we can agree on a price when the time comes. Post up pics of your broken plastic parts maybe I can help repair them as well.

ZOA NOM

Welcome aboard, "2stents" (is that a literal reference?). NorCal and the RPM shop isn't very far, and we've got some of the best roads on the planet for these bikes. We've been known to rally 12 riders on a day's notice, so hit us up if you ever head for the Bay.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Johnny2stent

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 19, 2015, 08:32:39 PM
Quote from: Johnny2stent on April 19, 2015, 08:02:50 PM

John, feel free to do exactly what you want to your FJ, and post pics along with a build report. There are few custom builds going on right now, a street fighter build that I have seen and ridden with and on (http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=13281.msg137871#msg137871). And another with a turbo (http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=11323.msg136890#msg136890). We love to see this stuff, especially when its done well... As our bikes get older we are happy to see they get any kind love and kept on the road. 

Plenty of help here in SoCal, I just spent today getting help from Father Pat polishing up my forks and RPM exhaust (look for a new post on this). We have an annual rally coming up, not sure if you can make it. You don't need a bike to attend.  And another rally a week after a bit further away that is looking like a really good turn out. So if you want meet up with a bunch of FJ owners then plan to attend. Otherwise you might make a smaller ride here in SoCal...
Thanks for the links (really like Cash's fairing) and the heads up on upcoming rallys.  I am looking forward to meeting people when I can.

Johnny2stent

Quote from: ZOA NOM on April 20, 2015, 02:44:48 PM
Welcome aboard, "2stents" (is that a literal reference?). NorCal and the RPM shop isn't very far, and we've got some of the best roads on the planet for these bikes. We've been known to rally 12 riders on a day's notice, so hit us up if you ever head for the Bay.
Thank you Rick.  I really appreciate the great welcome I am receiving from so many of you guys. 2stents is literal, but my younger brother has 3 and my 90+ yr old father has 4. So I'm good.  I love NorCal and look forward to logging some miles there as soon as I can, and will take you up on your offer. And I will definitely be sourcing product from RPM for my rebuild.

Pat Conlon

Jumping in late, welcome John. My backyard are Hwy's 74/76/79 so if you are ever near by give me a shout.

Let's ride!
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3