News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hello from Oregon

Started by Hawk54, April 22, 2015, 12:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk54

Hello, newbie to this site and to the FJ scene. I have owned several other bikes even a FJR. I always wanted one of these rockets when they first came out. I was to busy in the Military to buy one. Recently I found one in a barn and it shouted out to me, it was a true basket case as half of it was in a weathered basket. I have been speaking with member CapnRon and he has been allot of help. From what I have read on here, this is a great forum with lots of advise and practical advise. I have tried to contact some FJ owners here in Oregon, but to no avail. Probably out enjoying the 'rare' sunshine we have been having. Hopefully soon it will be up and running. :drinks:
LH

FJmonkey

Welcome Sgt., what year FJ are you bringing back to life? Capn Ron is great resource, he did a frame up restoration on his FJ and did an excellent job. Since you have been lurking for some time you already know that nearly all of us here have a fetish when it comes to build threads, progress updates and photos to support them (we have a saying here, "Photos, or it didn't happen"). It would be great if you have pics of it in the barn, then progress from there. I hope to see you at a rally some time soon.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Hawk54

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 22, 2015, 01:30:00 PM
Welcome Sgt., what year FJ are you bringing back to life? Capn Ron is great resource, he did a frame up restoration on his FJ and did an excellent job. Since you have been lurking for some time you already know that nearly all of us here have a fetish when it comes to build threads, progress updates and photos to support them (we have a saying here, "Photos, or it didn't happen"). It would be great if you have pics of it in the barn, then progress from there. I hope to see you at a rally some time soon.

Hello FJmonkey, I have read several of your posts and yes I will post some pictures soon, might have some of the barn, my friend took some I think, after we stopped crying over what we saw. The guy who had the 85' was 42 yrs old and had put a very expensive paint job on it ( a very bright silver metalic orange ( OSU beaver colors ) then he ran out of money and his wife became pregnant! :dash2: so the bike sat for 8 yrs. Up till then it had been riddin very hard for 50k. I have a new starter coming this week, did the carbs, flushed tank, new fork seals, battery and battery case, ... the list is growing. I am looking at the valves now, wondering if I can I do them. I guess I better read some 'files'. All advise is welcomed!
LH :biggrin:

Mark Olson

Hi and welcome to the group  :hi:

So you found an 85 FJ 1100 with 50k miles in a barn with an orange paint job... I would have cried too or maybe thrown up  :bad:

You gotta post of pic of this mess and document the rebirth .

Sounds like you are covering the basics on getting it running again .. things to watch out for are tight valves (there is an fj kit you can borrow) , the dreaded 2nd gear issue , where it pops out of 2nd gear under acceleration.. Fuel line routing from tank to carbs .

good  luck and keep us posted. 
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

FJmonkey

Quote from: Hawk54 on April 22, 2015, 01:58:10 PM
I am looking at the valves now, wondering if I can I do them. I guess I better read some 'files'. All advise is welcomed!
LH :biggrin:

Many of us here do their own valves. The last thing we want is some kid (younger than our bikes) making critical adjustments. If you can hook up with a local member they can walk you through the first time. Or do what I did, research, asked questions, got the tool and jumped in. In the files section you will find a few documents for valves. One is a (PDF I think) of a blank valve set up. Take your gap measurements and note them in the spot for that valve. Then more notes on shim size, then do the math. If out of spec then note what valve size you put in. There is also a spreadsheet that I added that does the math for you. If your building this bike backup, then there is nothing on an FJ you can't fix or learn to fix....

movenon

Welcome ! The FJ is a pretty simple bike to work on for what they are. Most of us do our own work. Lots of good help here. Some of the members have owned there's since 1984. Lots of corporate knowledge.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Hawk54

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 22, 2015, 01:30:00 PM

Hi FJmonkey, I could not locate the pictures of the bike on the or in the "cloud" my buddy put them there and now they are floating around, forever I guess. But attached ( if I did this correctly) is one I took of it when I got it home in my shop. Remember: I DID NOT PAINT IT! :dash2: :flag_of_truce: :ireful: it did show underneath the side covers that it once was painted Red/white type colors and it will be once I get it up and running. It also came with a bias tire on the rear and a radial on the front -- I am assuming that after looking on line at Dunlap tires, that it is suppose to have GT501 tires on it, suggestions? (maybe I should move this to the general category?)
Thanks
LH :yahoo:

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum  :hi:

My first FJ was an '85. I absolutely loved it...... Until the '89 with the theft deterrent color scheme came out.

You are already asking great questions. Another way to get alot of FJ knowledge, is to attend an FJ Rally. This years West Coast Rally is bee in held in the Sierra Nevada mountains, a short distance south of Lake Tahoe. Look in the Rally thread for the particulars.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJmonkey

Sgt., looks like you are off to a good start. Your buddy still has the pics, so post them up when you can, no pressure. As far as paint goes, I have seen worse on an FJ, this one looks like the PO cared for it, just had a funny choice for colors. Since you are returning to the stock look, the decals are still available with aftermarket suppliers. Be wary of starting threads on subjects like tires, oil or politics. Use the search function first and save your self the grief. If you ask questions on tires, mention your riding style, commuting, canyon carver, easy rider etc... With the stock 16" wheels you really won't have much to chose from. If you upgrade (catch Moditus) to 17" then its like being a kid in a candy store. Looking forward to seeing your future posts.

Steve_in_Florida

Sgt Hawkeye,
Firstly, welcome to the forum, Brother FJ Owner!  :hi:

Secondly, (and most importantly) DON'T APOLOGIZE for the paint. OWN IT! You bought it, so LIVE IT! Make metallic orange your favourite colour. Buy the best riding gear IN THAT COLOUR. Rally lawn furniture that matches! Perhaps even a metallic orange tow vehicle.

As far as I know, the position of Orange Power Ranger is vacant. THIS COULD BE YOU!!

Seriously, this is NOT a pussy bike. So don't start now.  :praising:

We're here to help.

Respectfully, (really!)

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

Hawk54

Thanks Steve, I do own the bike, I am not really complaining, after wearing camo in the Army for the last 12 yrs, the color just seems a little to flashy for my taste. When I take a picture of it out in the sun, I think you will see why. It's a really expensive Silver metallic underlay with metallic orange on top. However, the paint job is not important at this time, the heart of the bike is whats really important.  But for now, I really appreciate all of your help with getting this bike up and running, hope to see some of you at a rally some day. If you see a bright orange blob coming your way -- don't worry, the sun is still in the sky where it belongs: Look up: it's Super Orange Power Ranger to the rescue :yahoo: :drinks:. OK enough of the color! FJmonkey, what is or who is a Moditus?
Thanks,

aviationfred

Quote from: Hawk54 on April 24, 2015, 10:11:59 AM
what is or who is a Moditus?

Moditus is the desease that many of us have caught. There are varying degrees of Moditus.

The definition, as I understand it. The want and desire to modify one's FJ to such a manner that enhances Braking capability, Handleing, acceleration, sound and reliability.

Here is a list of my mods:

1988 FZR750R Front Wheel (17" x 3.5"), 1992 GSXR750 Rear Wheel (17" x 5.5"), and Brake caliper, Corbin Gunfighter & Lady w/Backrest, Drift digital tachometer, Atach digital GPS speedometer, 3/4" handlebar risers, RPM fork brace, RPM spin-on oil filter adapter, RPM 10 row oil cooler, RPM Stainless/Titanium, 4-2-1 exhaust, RPM rear shock, RPM handlebar vibranators, RPM fork valves, RPM/Race Tech fork springs, 2004 VFR800 front brake master cylinder, 2000 VTR1000 clutch master cylinder, Stainless Steel front brake lines, rear brake line, and clutch line, 2001 R1 Blue Dot front calipers, Arashi wave front rotors, 2004 RF900 rear brake rotor, Uni dual pod air filters, 2001 CBR1100XX Double Bubble Windscreen, Clear front turn signal lenses, Modified RPM/Clear LED Tail light, Lockhart Phillips Foot Pegs, CBR1000 Mirrors, 1985 RZ500 front fender, Lockhart Phillips FJ1100 3/4 lower cowling.

Yes, I have moditus bad.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJmonkey

That sums it up nicely Fred.

fj johnnie

Maybe a big bore kit? Fuel injection? Turbo? Hah, just kidding welcome aboard. The FJ is just a cool bike for us uncool old buggers.

Capn Ron

Quote from: Hawk54 on April 24, 2015, 10:11:59 AM
If you see a bright orange blob coming your way -- don't worry, the sun is still in the sky where it belongs: Look up: it's Super Orange Power Ranger to the rescue :yahoo: :drinks:.

I'm loving this color!  I think I want to call this the "Orange Whip!"   :good2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oOv3cuP8M4
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.