News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Hello from Northern Ireland Just bought 1991 FJ 1200 my first big bike

Started by MrGreenGiant, May 04, 2015, 11:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGreenGiant

Hi my name is Paul Irwin from Northern Ireland; I have been looking around for a while now for a new bike to move up to after riding a Honda sh 125 scooter for 3 years. So i started looking a 600 cc bandits and touring bikes until my Dad directed me towards a FJ 1200 he had seen which at first I didn't what to think of it seeing as the bike is a year older than me lol. But after sitting down and looking at the bike and hearing the stories of the FJ 1200 my dad use to have; it started to grow me on me.
(By the way the reason i was looking for such big bikes is a 6ft 8 lump of a human)

So before setting off to look at the FJ I done a bit more searching for a back up bike encase this one fell through but thankfully it didn't. So when we got there it was sitting with a full set of panniers and top box and bracket setup that was a little cringe worthy but it got the job done. So after a bit of a chat with the owner I walked away with the bike for £1225 with only the guts of 16,000 miles plus on it. Once i got the bike home I stripped of the pannier set and brackets to see what it was like without and I pretty much fell in love with it.

With the bike being older than me it was in really good shape; for example the only non- original part was the brake disks which I think where replaced due to warping. So the more I cleaned the bike the more i found was intact and didn't need replaced for a while yet and she is up for MOT so hoping she will pass as is.  :biggrin:

movenon

Welcome Paul. Let us know how you come out on the MOT. If you have questions then ask away there is a lot of help here.  Keep the panniers and top box along with the mounting brackets you can clean them up later.  Check out the Gallery section as there are a lot of pictures to look at. The Files section has a lot of information also.
Cheers George  :drinks:
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

rlucas

Quote from: MrGreenGiant on May 04, 2015, 11:20:48 AM

... riding a Honda sh 125 scooter...

...a 6ft 8 lump of a human...

Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously, welcome to the group.
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

FJmonkey

Welcome to our Nut House. The FJ just keeps growing on you, it gets deeper under your skin with every mile. As you get more comfortable on it and really start to enjoy it, you will discover that you can upgrade it. Yep, make it even better...  :drinks:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

MrGreenGiant

Quote from: rlucas on May 04, 2015, 12:21:12 PM
Quote from: MrGreenGiant on May 04, 2015, 11:20:48 AM

... riding a Honda sh 125 scooter...

...a 6ft 8 lump of a human...

Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously, welcome to the group.

Ok this is a old pic but should show the struggle of the 125 was real lol