News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Another Alberta FJ Owner

Started by Bearly Flying, April 25, 2015, 01:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearly Flying

Hi, Long time FJ 1100 Owner, recently found the Website.
I live in Central Alberta and have owned My 85 since new. I have 75,000 kms on it and have been all across Canada and a good chunk of the States with it...... Awesome Bike.

As I have been aging along with the Bike, longer distances were getting a bit harder. Cramping legs, sore shoulders etc.

I bought an 05 FJR 1300 new, and set it up for Long Distance tours, Auxiliary Fuel Tank, Russel Seat, top trunk, Intercom, 2 way radio and GPS.

The FJ sat neglected in the corner for a few years, finally decided the Old Girl needed to be refurbished, as it was too good of a Bike to let go.

Altho it still ran very well and pulled hard, the miles were showing, compression starting to drop, getting a bit harder to start, suspension sagged, (didn't realize how badly until after getting the FJR, guess a Guy gets used to it), body work showing the normal cracks and dings of use.

I stripped the bodywork, sent it out to be repaired and repainted stock colors, added some custom graphics. Pulled the motor and sent it out for a overhaul, 1250 cc Big Bore kit, balanced, ported, cams, tranny gears undercut, clutch etc. The bike already had smoothbores and a Yosh 4-1 pipe.

A Penske rear shock, Racetec Emulators in the forks and a set of Michelin radials really sharpened up the handling.

Still taking it pretty easy, only a few hundred km's since the overhaul. It used to pull like a Freight Train,,,,,,, Now it is Crazy, and I haven't really given it a full out run.

It will be the Special Weekend bike, and live out it's day's as a pampered Princess.

It's nice to see this Forum, and all the People that are still keeping the Bike alive.
Don

85 FJ1100  1250 big bore kit, ported, cammed.... Hooligan Bike
05 FJR 1300  Aux Fuel Tank, Russel Seat  Long Distance Bike
And a whole whack of RC Aircraft

big r

Welcome to the campfire. There is a wealth of knowledge here and a great bunch of people. I live in Barriere BC and have a 86 with 100K on her still runs great. If you are ever out this way look me up. Big R

Country Joe

Welcome to the digital campfire! It sounds like you will fit right in around here. How about some pictures of your FJ?

Joe
1993 FJ 1200

fj johnnie

Another great FJ story. Sounds like an awesome project.

Mark Olson

Welcome to the group  :hi:

Lots of great folks here with knowledge and experience in all things FJ.

Sounds like you have your bike set up pretty good , Now you just need to put some 17" wheels on it with some blue pot calipers.

Check out the modification section files and you will be amazed at what some of the guys have done.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

movenon

Welcome ! Sounds like you have a great bike there. Glad you got her back on the road. Have a good week end. :drinks:
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Bearly Flying

Thanks for the Welcome guy's, glad to be here.

I have a few pics, but not much since the rebuild, snowing here today, but I will get some newer photo's soon.

A couple of oldies, when the bike was new. A friend of mine (pictured) had an FJ he let me test drive and I was sold:

The way I had it set up before the rebuild:

During the rebuild:

Custom graphics I had done up:

Dyno run after rebuild:

Don

jscgdunn

Welcome! :hi:
Just down the road here in Bragg Creek......we are starting to get a bit of an Alberta group here!

How about those Flames.....?  Tough test coming with our California friends;  hopefully it's duck soup.  :good2:

Jeff

92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

Bearly Flying

Go Flames   :dance2:

Looks like you have a nice selection of FJ's
Don

Pat Conlon

Welcome Don, an original owner...very cool...I can relate.

On your 1250, did you use the XJR cylinder block with the plated Niksil bores or the conventional Wiseco sleeves and 79 mm pistons in your oem block?

What kind of power did you produce? 
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum,  :hi:

Great story and it is awesome that you have brought the FJ back to life.  :good2:

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Bearly Flying

The block was sleeved.

It put down 126 to the wheel, I think there is more there but my carbs are holding it back. If RPM gets that FI system up and running, I would be very interested.

The engine was still climbing in power at 10,000 rpm
Don

Bearly Flying

Don