News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Mirror

Started by LarryFJ1990, May 01, 2015, 07:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryFJ1990

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie on this site. I recently acquired a 1990 FJ1200 with 9100 miles. This is all new to me as I just started riding. I'm in Parker, Colorado. I'm here to listen and learn about riding. Also I'm hoping I can find parts on this forum when needed. I've been told that they are hard to come by. Would anyone here know where I can get hold of a right side mirror that will fit my ride. Thanks for all your help.
Larry L.

Pat Conlon

Welcome Larry, I have family that lives in Parker...cool little town.

Most folks find that the oem mirrors are not wide enough to see past your shoulders so...yes you should be able to find someone that has one.

Post a request down in the "Part's Wanted" section.  I think you will be much happier with some wider Honda CBR mirrors...see the Mod Files.

Cheers
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

movenon

Welcome Larry. Well aware of Parker.  We have property in Yuma and transit through the area often.  Been thinking lately about relocating up river in the Havasu area.

I also have a 1990.  I had stock mirrors for a while and thought they would be "OK".  Well they are if there is no traffic.  Seriously at least consider up grading the mirrors to something that is usable.  OEM CBR mirrors are probably the best best the cheaper knock off ones on flea bay are not all that bad.  A LOT better than the stock mirrors.  I think there is even a You Tube Video on the upgrade.

If you are just started to ride then please be careful the FJ can be a handful for a first bike.  The plastic (ABS) parts are getting harder to find if you damage it.
Post a picture someday. An FJ with only 9100 miles is rare.
George

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

giantkiller

I found that stock 86 mirrors work great on my 89. The stalks are almost horizontal when you put them on the 89. Which puts them out farther. And they look much better too. Does anyone know if the angle of the mount on the 91 the same as the 89?

The 86 fj1200 I bought brand new in 86 was my first bike. Of course I put 14,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 months and totaled it. But wow what a first bike. Spent many years riding other bikes loved them all. Came back to the Fj three years ago. And now working on a third. Total custom turbo Fj. Gotta love them fjs
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

red

Quote from: LarryFJ1990 on May 01, 2015, 07:32:17 PMHi everyone, I'm a newbie on this site. I recently acquired a 1990 FJ1200 with 9100 miles. This is all new to me as I just started riding. I'm in Parker, Colorado. I'm here to listen and learn about riding. Also I'm hoping I can find parts on this forum when needed. I've been told that they are hard to come by. Would anyone here know where I can get hold of a right side mirror that will fit my ride. Thanks for all your help.
Larry,

If your bike is running anywhere close to normal FJ performance, that would not be a good choice of bike for a new rider.  You have enough power on hand to outspeed the cornering ability of any bike suspension, and beyond the braking ability of any tires on a clean road.  I would strongly advise any friend to get some good road experience first on a bike with an engine around 400cc or less, but that's just me.  You could buy the smaller bike, learn a bit in a few months, and sell it for about what you paid for it.

At a bare minimum, invest in good safety gear for yourself: full-face helmet, leather gloves, boots, a riding jacket, and maybe pants.  Also, please find yourself a hands-on Motorcycle Safety course, to keep you alive on the streets.  Performance-riding instruction should only come later.  If you do not have fall-bars on the bike, they are still available, and recommended.  Cast metal parts for your bike may be scarce, expensive, or both.  The Honda mirrors recommended earlier are a great option for you.

Can you be safe on the FJ, now?  Sure, it's just a matter of wrist motion.   :biggrin:   I'd still recommend a smaller bike, for your first time out, but if you can stay out of the high RPMs, avoid sand and gravel on the road, and keep good tires on it, you should be able to manage your safety well enough.  Speed limit signs (and corner-speed signs) are your best friends, for now.

You will find a lot of good information here for the maintenance of your machine.  Get with experienced riders, to learn more.  It it ain't broke, don't fix it.   :yes:   Run a can of Seafoam through the gastank, according to the directions on the can.  Watch the oil level in the crankcase; check it before each ride.  What you have there is a flyin' machine; nobody here disrespects what it can do, at least not for long.

Welcome to the forum.  Most people here will answer your questions decently, rather than send you off to the archives to search for an answer.  From the Home page here, you can find Maintenance, Modifications (hang back on that one for a while), and Files full of useful stuff.  Best wishes for you and your new ride.
Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

FJmonkey

Quote from: red on May 02, 2015, 10:16:32 AM
If you do not have fall-bars on the bike, they are still available, and recommended.
Red

This is what I put on my '86, then moved them over to my'89. I have seen them tested at least 3 times in actual low side crashes. The bike was ride-able each time. It had cosmetic damage but it did not get a ride home on a flatbed.

http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=84-90FJEB

Get you and your bike some good protective gear. You don't have to go expensive just good quality. Check out Cycle Gear, there is one near you.

Cycle Gear
78 E 11400 S
Draper, UT 84020
Open today  9:00 am – 6:00 pm
cyclegear.com
(801) 553-2150

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

Tire pressures, tire pressures, tire pressures, tire pressures, tire pressures, tire pressures, tire pressures.

Oh yea, I almost forgot.....tire pressures.

Firehawk068

I think you guys are confusing his location with Parker Arizona?  :scratch_one-s_head:

He did say Parker COLORADO.

That's in my area!  :good:

Welcome Larry.
I live in Aurora.
I worked in Parker for a couple years, so I'm familiar with the area.
There is another member (Chris) in Franktown, and there are a bunch of us in the Denver area.
I'm almost always available to help evenings and weekends. (although my plate seems a bit full lately)

I am pretty sure I have my stock mirrors (1990) somewhere in the garage. If you need one, you are welcome to it. (however, it is just the stalk and the mirror. I kept the bases when I mounted the R-1 mirrors to them) If you need the mirror base, I won't be able to help you.

Anyway, I'm in the area and look forward to meeting up sometime.  :hi:

Post up some pics of your '90 if you can.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Pat Conlon

Right you are Alan... I was thinking Parker, Arizona. 

Mark Olson

Hi Larry , Welcome to the group .  :hi:

The 90 FJ is a great bike and will be lots of fun for you .. I will echo the suggestions of crash bars as this is your first bike and chances are it will fall over sometime during the learning curve. Parts are expensive and it is a good investment .

The FJ has a lot of torque in the engine so it is easy to ride . The idle should be around 1000 rpm when warmed up and ready to ride . Since the engine is air cooled you don't want to let it idle more than 10 min. with out air moving over the engine.This will burn your exhaust valves.

The FJ is cold blooded and you will need full choke to start it when cold .. so full choke and no throttle twist , then let it warm up . the revs will increase as it warms so push the choke in slightly to keep revs around 2k-2.5k then push all the way in and it should idle and not stall when you twist the throttle.  Depending on weather temp this can take 2-10mins normally and then you are ready to ride.

I went through all that so you won't stall it and drop the bike as you learn to ride.
Always check tire psi before you ride as well as brakes and clutch and fork seals . Leaks are bad.

As you get familiar with your new bike , keep the revs below 6k rpm as this is where the fj engine really powers up and can catch a new rider off guard and it can run away with you.

A motorcycle rider course would be a good idea to learn basics , or maybe you have a buddy who can help you.

This is a very active forum and it seems someone is always online to help or just shoot the shit.

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

movenon

OK, Parker Co. :):good2:. There is a FJ rally up in Hill City in a few weeks. Good time to meet a few members.  :good2:
George

1990 FJ 1200

LarryFJ1990

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. A little background about the bike I have. The bike was given to me for free. So I really had know choice on which bike I started out with. I've taken the driving/safety course (t3rg.com) here in Colorado before I even put my butt on the seat. I passed the course (best in the class) and got my license. All I've done so far is neighborhood driving and venturing more and more each time I go out. I'm in my mid 50's with a wife and 4 kids so my "crazy" days are over. I have purchased a full face helmet (DOT approved) and a jacket with the required/approved padding. I know this is a powerful bike but like I said I'm taking baby steps until I get to know the bike. I'm always and have been a cautious driver. (no accidents and only 2 speeding tickets ever). and I've been told that I could be the best driver out there but it's the other drivers that aren't. I plan on driving with more experienced riders so they can tell me what to do and what not to do. I hope this eases some of your minds and like I said, I will take all your words of wisdom and put them to good use. Have a great day everyone.
Larry L.

movenon

Your profile fits more or less most of us.  You are off to a good start.  Just take it easy.  Ride like every vehicle on the road wants to kill you.  Don't assume anything and expect everything.  Just because it is the law or you have to "right away" doesn't mean anything.  "Trust No One".  Your main goal is to stay alive and you can't compete with a 3000 ++ vehicle.   Always think tactically as much as you can.  Watch for the unexpected like someone pulling out of there drive way etc. .  Teaming up with another rider is good if they are good a good rider. 
George

1990 FJ 1200

red

Quote from: LarryFJ1990 on May 04, 2015, 08:55:52 AMHi all,
Thanks for all the input. A little background about the bike I have. The bike was given to me for free. So I really had know choice on which bike I started out with.
Larry,

I do not believe that you are a leaf at the mercy of the wind.  Neither should you.  Riding is all about choices, and individuality.  No group you ride with should be able to convince you to attempt something unsafe, when you are not ready for it.  If you truly can not crack loose US$1,000.00 or less for a used and lesser bike, and you have nobody in your circle with a "loaner" lesser bike for you, then you still have two choices: to ride, or not to ride.

If that is the case, and you choose to ride, then more than one post here has advised you to stay out of the higher RPMs for a while.  A lot of bikes are dressed up to look "racy," but the FJ was built to dominate the track, really, for its' day.  You sound like a reasonable guy, and everybody here wants to see you succeed.  You have a most excellent mount there, and with respect, it will do very well by you.  The adventure begins.

Best wishes,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

FJmonkey

Larry, as Red pointed out, its ok to have two bikes. I have two, an '86 FJ and an '89 FJ.... Wait, that is not supporting what Red said. Never mind the two FJs part....

You seem to have your head screwed on properly and even if age may not have brought wisdom (maybe it did), it at least gave you caution and a respect for mortality. Smaller lighter bikes can be more forgiving during the learning curve. Also keep in mind our FJs are not as easy to find parts, the ones we damage when we drop them. Engine and transmission parts are kept alive by the Legends racers, body parts, not so much. Keep us posted on your progress, plan to make a rally and meet some of the other FJ hooligans around a real campfire.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side