News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Mirror

Started by LarryFJ1990, May 01, 2015, 07:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Olson

Quote from: LarryFJ1990 on May 04, 2015, 08:55:52 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. A little background about the bike I have. The bike was given to me for free. So I really had know choice on which bike I started out with. I've taken the driving/safety course (t3rg.com) here in Colorado before I even put my butt on the seat. I passed the course (best in the class) and got my license. All I've done so far is neighborhood driving and venturing more and more each time I go out. I'm in my mid 50's with a wife and 4 kids so my "crazy" days are over. I have purchased a full face helmet (DOT approved) and a jacket with the required/approved padding. I know this is a powerful bike but like I said I'm taking baby steps until I get to know the bike. I'm always and have been a cautious driver. (no accidents and only 2 speeding tickets ever). and I've been told that I could be the best driver out there but it's the other drivers that aren't. I plan on driving with more experienced riders so they can tell me what to do and what not to do. I hope this eases some of your minds and like I said, I will take all your words of wisdom and put them to good use. Have a great day everyone.

Larry , It all sounds good .. So keep on doing what you are doing and in no time you will be up to speed . It is best to refrain from passengers until you have more experience as they can unbalance your ride.

Go at your own pace and have a bit of fun .  :good2:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

fjfool

hey Larry.
not much help here on the mirrors
if you do find yourself wanting to ride in the mountains, i live in the central rockies-vail/avon, give me a shout
welcome here
-eric

Firehawk068

Quote from: fjfool on May 05, 2015, 07:31:08 AM
hey Larry.
not much help here on the mirrors
if you do find yourself wanting to ride in the mountains, i live in the central rockies-vail/avon, give me a shout
welcome here
-eric

Eric,
Have you ridden "Colorado River Rd."?
I saw it when I took the train to Glenwood Springs.  I know it turns to dirt at some point, but the paved section looked good. Follows the river for awhile.
Maybe one day we could meet in Minturn for breakfast, and ride some of the passes. :drinks:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

fj1289

Welcome Larry! 

I'm in Franktown - and try to ride AROUND Parker every chance I get going to and from work.  Mostly because I prefer riding double the miles on a two lane road than riding 3 lanes each way filled with drivers only half paying attention on the road with the worst timed stop lights ever! 

My FJ has been in a constant project status the last couple years and daily driving/reliability has suffered because of some of the things I've been playing with, but am working to get it truly road worthy again for this spring and summer season - looking forward to doing some day rides this summer.  It would be good to get a small group out for some rides - Alan, Lee, yourself, and anyone else in the area

:drinks:

Chris

LarryFJ1990

Hi Chris, I know what you mean about avoiding Parker. It's a mess sometimes. I drive a manual Jeep wrangler and it wears me out sometimes :dash1:.
when I take my bike out to get some practice in I avoid Lincoln, Parker Rd. and Jordan. I'm usually on Chambers going in either direction. I went south on Chambers down to Hess and rode around there for a while. I also go over to Centennial Airport via the back roads and ride around there. The fastest I've gone is 55mph so far. Still learning the bike and getting more comfortable each time I go out. It would be nice to get out with you guys as long as you don't my a slow poke in your group :mocking:
Larry L.

fj1289

Don't ever be concerned about "slowing" a group down -- just ride at your own pace and enjoy the ride!

I've never liked riding in groups -- but I think this would be a group I can trust and enjoy a ride with.   

Your skills and confidence will grow - just don't try to outgrow either one too fast!

FJmonkey

I like it when the lead rider(s) in a group pull over and stop in a safe visible spot before every turn onto a new road. This way there is no pressure to keep up and not get lost or left behind.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Firehawk068

Like Chris said. Don't EVER, EVER feel pressured to keep up with a group of riders! Even if you feel like you are the "Slow Guy".
Ride at your own pace, ability, and comfort level.
Trying to keep up will only focus your attention on just that, instead of focusing on what's important. Like riding in a safe manor, and avoiding all the dangers that are out there.

A proper group of riders will always put one of their experienced members at the back, as a "Sweep-Rider". I have volunteered for this duty on a number of occasions.
This makes sure that the less experienced riders feel comfortable that, they will neither get lost, nor feel any pressure that the group is leaving them behind. (as Monkey Mark eluded to)
It works out well for everyone.

If we get together for a ride, I promise I'll take it easy on you.  :drinks:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

rlucas

My first FJ Rally was 2004, and I've never felt pressured to "keep up". One of the nice things about the Rallies I've attended is that lack of focus on being fast - it's not about how fast you can go, it's about how much fun you can have. We tend to break into smaller, more manageable groups and they tend to sort themselves out on their own - you'll just naturally gravitate to a group with similar riding preferences\styles.
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

LarryFJ1990

I will always be riding at my own pace. :boredom:  No need to worry about that. I'll eventually catch up.  :good2:
This is all great advice. Thanks again.
Larry L.

Mark Olson

Riding at the rallies should always be fun...Never push your ability or comfort level .. everyone can have an off day but being older and wiser is an advantage . So you know when to slow down and take it easy.

You can learn a lot by following other riders and seeing what they do. It takes time and a lot of miles to learn control and confidence of yourself and motorcycle.  
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Pat Conlon

Who was it?

Was it Carey who said the famous quote about our group rides, "...there are NO winners....only losers..."

So very true.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3