News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

vacuum operated fuel petcock....

Started by neverknow7, May 09, 2015, 12:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neverknow7

hello every one, new to the board...   ive been reading alot of posts but i have a question now that ive read mr pats's wire your petcock warning, which i will be doing asap!  big thanks on that!
    hope i dont make this to confusing....  i have read several posts that explain my problems well , but all have different answers ranging from pilot jets cleaning to torn diaphragms...        i think i would like to say what i found and see if you'all would tell me what it might cause... i just got her back from the shop too which is whats frustrating...
    the vacuum line that goes from the petcock to the "carb plenum" (for lack of a better description, on the number one carb, i found it burned and melted together effectively sealing this line.... after reading the petcock post i would believe this would stop the fuel flow, correct?
    and i would also like to ask, before understanding this was a vac line, i removed the petcock, cut that vac line so it was open and i reattached it to the petcock, to which i could relatively easily could blow air thru and i saw gas bubble out of the small (vent?) hole , that means its working properly or would that indicate its leaking vacuum?    thanks for your time and help.

Chris
1984 FJ100

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

neverknow7

can this be done with the pet cock off the bike....  as soon as i didnt ask , i d be wrong....!  tia!
Chris
1984 FJ100

FJmonkey

Quote from: neverknow7 on May 09, 2015, 03:06:15 PM
can this be done with the pet cock off the bike....  as soon as i didnt ask , i d be wrong....!  tia!

Yes, the vacuum part of the petcock does not depend it being installed. It also means you don't have to worry about fuel flowing out of tank.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

neverknow7

i was just about to go out and try this suck test when it kinda dawned on me... i was able to blow thru it so i am probably going to be able to suck thru it too... with that being said,  who is david and where do i get a new one, or is a rebuild an option?   also.... in refference to the gas cap.... my lock mechanism , well one side "fell out" into the tank, how the heck do i get that thing out, as i have the tank off and have shakin and shook and tried all but stirred... cant get it to fall out the petcock hole nor the filler cap hole....      monkey i appreciate your guidance......
Chris
1984 FJ100

neverknow7

hey whattaya know .....it passed the suck test!    this means she needs to be hay baled (wired) and reinstalled, correct!?? :dance2:
Chris
1984 FJ100

Mark Olson

Hi Neverknow ,,

It would help if you put in your signature line what year FJ you have and maybe a first name . Cause ya never know what ya never know.  :rofl2:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

neverknow7

how's that sir... my bad... it's been a long time since ive been on a board.... thanks and sorry for lack of info! :i_am_so_happy:
Chris
1984 FJ100

Mark Olson

Hey Chris , No problem at all ......we are an active group and you may end up talking with several members and it helps to have bike info handy.

If that tank is giving you major trouble you can put an 86/87 tank on it . Your year gas cap is very hard to find.

For the piece that fell inside try a long magnet or a grabby tool .
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"