News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

New from Cincinnati!

Started by Bearcat91, February 26, 2012, 04:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearcat91

Would it be possible to ride with out second for the summer and fix her up in the winter? Ill be keeping my eye for another but i don't see many in my area for some reason :(

Mark Olson

Quote from: Bearcat91 on February 27, 2012, 05:31:27 PM
I also found an fj1100 in my price range I might go look at...would be cool gather and 8son with almost identicle bikes :) same red and white paint scheme (my fav on the fj) any down falls of an 85 fj100 vs 86 fj1200?

There ya go , get the ol'man back on the fj.

Father son rides are cool.

A running fj is more appealing than a not running fj.  How long is it gonna take to get the 86 going? is this a father/son project or are you on your own?

The fj1100 has a larger fuel tank and the turn signals are different and so are the rear view mirrors . the choke is on the handle bar and I think it has a rev limiter.
the handling and speed are the same , same wheels and forks , same weak shift forks .

The 86 fj1200 tested faster in the 1/4 mile on a perfect day with a God at the controls.  
Put any fj side by side and it will be about rider skill as the power is so close the race will never end the same twice.

If the fj1100 you are looking at has the bad 2nd gear it will cost big money(1000.00) to have it fixed by some one else. the cases will have to be split open. You can do it yourself or maybe find a group member in your area that will work for beer.

Have fun.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Mark Olson

Quote from: Bearcat91 on February 28, 2012, 11:54:17 AM
Would it be possible to ride with out second for the summer and fix her up in the winter? Ill be keeping my eye for another but i don't see many in my area for some reason :(

Yes , you have enough power to skip 2nd gear.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

Bearcat91

I wish i could do a father son project but i have my place in cinci while he is up north a lil bit and i could only work on it on some weekends...His 86 has sat for 4 or 5 years sooo who knows. for sure calipers, mirror, battery, throttle cable and probably tires. The 85 i found is already priced low i think at 1500, might be able to talk him down to 1250 or something.

Mark Olson

yeah , the craigslist rules are offer 1/2 of what they are asking and go up from there.  I am not saying it's right , but thats what i get everytime I try to sell something on cl.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

Flying Scotsman

Even if he stays firm on price $1500 is still worth it.
I was able to get $500 of the asking price on my 90 after test riding it because trans was slipping.Turns out it had bad trans too.
When I bought my 85 it had a bad 2nd and 3rd gear so both of them needed fixed.
First the 85 cost me about $200 for a trans with undercut gears and about $50 in misc tools etc.I think it took 2 days to do the swap.
The 90 cost me nothing but my time as I already had a trans with undercut gears new shift forks etc from a parts bike.
The 90 swap went quicker because I had done it once before.
Scott.....
1984 FJ1100
1985 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200
1999 GP1200 (165 + hp)

Bearcat91

Quote from: Mark Olson on February 28, 2012, 12:16:06 PM
yeah , the craigslist rules are offer 1/2 of what they are asking and go up from there.  I am not saying it's right , but thats what i get everytime I try to sell something on cl.

Haha I feel you on that! I hate when it happens to me but it is worth a shot...

Flying Scotsman

Take a look in the tank for rust,new tanks are expensive.
1984 FJ1100
1985 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200
1999 GP1200 (165 + hp)

Bearcat91

sorry to disappoint, but....I didnt get an FJ. I just bought my first bike, 1995 vfr 750 and I love her :) How ever I will still be around to research for my dad if he decides to bring his bike back to life!!!

moonrunnah

good for you
a 1200 is big for a first bike anyway have fun and be safe

hopefullly you can get one later on
When in doubt throttle out

Bearcat91

Hey guys,
I am back now with a little more experience. talked my old man into giving me his FJ how ever since joining i moved to north carolina so i need to make a trip up to ohio to get it. since joining i have riding the VFR for a couple years and have been riding a harley sportster 1200 since last september. so the FJ has been sitting since 2004 so ill be going all the carbs and fuel lines, brake and clutch lines, throttle cables are seized so either no cables or carb slide or something is seized. been scanning through the pages for a few weeks now, looks like RPM has a good amount of parts, any other reputable sites for parts?

no pics of the FJ but here are the other 2 girls

i got the harley from sitting for 3 years and went through it all so im decently familiar with CV carbs now

movenon

Glad to hear you will be getting the 86 home.  Lets us know how the project go's and ask questions if you don't know or aren't sure how to do something. Lots of help here.  Post some pictures when you get it home :).
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200