News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Bringing the old girl into the new millennia

Started by Urban_Legend, May 17, 2015, 09:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban_Legend

Hi All

I have decided to start a new project for Sparkles (my FJ1100) As most of you know I brought the old girl back to life, and she came up a treat, but now she needs some modernising. After the man shed day in Brisbane i left with a heap of things that i wanted to do to the old girl.
I have made up a list of changes to occur over the next few months.

1. and the top of the list is to fix the oil leaks. So new gallery plug and O-Ring, new Slave cylinder and a new gasket/seal on the right side of the crank case. I am going to rebuild the original motor , but this could take some time, so the current motor will need to be maintained.
New brake and clutch master cylinders are also being ordered as we speak.

2. My speedo, tach and fuel gauge are not working as they should. So I have decided to bite the bullet and get all new gauges from Speed Hub and make up a whole new cluster. I know that I could probably get an OEM cluster for about the same price or cheaper, for I want to go a GPS speedo.

3. 17" wheel upgrade. I have been making some enquiries and I think i may have sourced most of the bits i need for this. It will be as money and time permits.

4. This is only cosmetic. For those that have seen the bike you will have noticed the gravel rash on the right side of the bike. This will be fixed in due course.

5. This is the last one - The Carbies need new diaphragms. This will occure in due time
I will keep you updated with info and pics as I progress.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

fjfool

got a set of diaphragms from my 86 carbs, they(the carbs) were in bad shape and i finished them off trying to rebuild them- just parts now
diaphragms and slides look good though
-yours for shipping

Urban_Legend

Quote from: fjfool on May 17, 2015, 09:48:30 PM
got a set of diaphragms from my 86 carbs, they(the carbs) were in bad shape and i finished them off trying to rebuild them- just parts now
diaphragms and slides look good though
-yours for shipping

Hey. Sent you a personal message. Thanks
Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

X-Ray

Unless your gallery plug is snapped in half you won't need it Mark, just the o ring. But if you are going to do it properly, then why not. After discovering a few more pinholes and a slight tear in the Project '92s diaphragms on the weekend, I'm going to try the Plastidip method of fixing them. Good reports from people using this product for carb repairs. If it doesn't work then I will have to fork out the $90 each for new ones.
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

the fan

Have you checked with RPM on the cost of a new set of carbs?  I know that for a while he was selling off new carb sets at a very reasonable cost.

Urban_Legend

Quote from: the fan on May 18, 2015, 07:37:16 AM
Have you checked with RPM on the cost of a new set of carbs?  I know that for a while he was selling off new carb sets at a very reasonable cost.
I have. The issue is our exchange rate and cost of postage from retails stores in the USA. We have to add 20% for the aussie dollar and usually $50 + for postage.

Hope the Plastidip work for you Ray. Mine are past the repair stage unfortunately. They are still working, but no sure how well or for how long. Trying to work a deal with fjfool at the moment.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Done selecting the Speedo, Tach and a dual Volt/Fuel Gauge. Just have to wait for payday now.

Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

red

Quote from: Urban_Legend on May 17, 2015, 09:31:09 PMHi All
2. My speedo, tach and fuel gauge are not working as they should. So I have decided to bite the bullet and get all new gauges from Speed Hub and make up a whole new cluster. I know that I could probably get an OEM cluster for about the same price or cheaper, for I want to go a GPS speedo.
Urban_Legend,

You might want to check if a GPS speedo will pass your inspection laws, for that bike.  The bike mileage may be an issue there.

If money counts, you might want to try lubricating the speedo cable (with lightweight black grease) or replacing it with a new one, if the core is damaged.  These cables are still available.  If the fuel gauge and tach are both acting up, try running a heavy ground wire from the battery negative terminal to the instrument cluster grounding points, temporarily.  If that new ground wire fixes things, just repair the bad (probably corroded) ground connection in the instrument wiring.

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

mark1969

Quote from: X-Ray on May 18, 2015, 07:03:04 AM
I'm going to try the Plastidip method of fixing them. Good reports from people using this product for carb repairs. If it doesn't work then I will have to fork out the $90 each for new ones.

I used Plastidip a year ago and really wouldn't recommend it. You end up with lots of plastidip flakes after a little while. It may be down to the Ethanol in fuel now, because I did it 7 years ago on another FJ and it was fine...

New diaphragms will be like riding a new bike (assuming the old ones are knackered that is..). In the end I bought a used set of carbs from Ebay which had a decent set of diaphragms in which was lucky for me. That may be possible, but in my view the only sure way is a new set.

Firehawk068

Quote from: mark1969 on May 18, 2015, 11:22:37 AM
Quote from: X-Ray on May 18, 2015, 07:03:04 AM
I'm going to try the Plastidip method of fixing them. Good reports from people using this product for carb repairs. If it doesn't work then I will have to fork out the $90 each for new ones.

I used Plastidip a year ago and really wouldn't recommend it. You end up with lots of plastidip flakes after a little while. It may be down to the Ethanol in fuel now, because I did it 7 years ago on another FJ and it was fine...

New diaphragms will be like riding a new bike (assuming the old ones are knackered that is..). In the end I bought a used set of carbs from Ebay which had a decent set of diaphragms in which was lucky for me. That may be possible, but in my view the only sure way is a new set.

I have not heard of anyone using "Plastidip" to fix them, but I have heard of people using a similar product called "Liquid Electrical Tape" with good results.
I am not sure how similar the products are?  :unknown:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Urban_Legend

You might want to check if a GPS speedo will pass your inspection laws, for that bike.  The bike mileage may be an issue there.

If money counts, you might want to try lubricating the speedo cable (with lightweight black grease) or replacing it with a new one, if the core is damaged.  These cables are still available.  If the fuel gauge and tach are both acting up, try running a heavy ground wire from the battery negative terminal to the instrument cluster grounding points, temporarily.  If that new ground wire fixes things, just repair the bad (probably corroded) ground connection in the instrument wiring.

Cheers,
Red
[/quote]

I have a new speedo cable on the bike. The issue is the odometer which is way out. (Reads 3km for every 5km travelled) The inspection people do not seem to have an issue with the odometer having different readings. (this is the 2nd speedo in the bike) So I thought if I am going for an aftermarket speedo, I may as well get a full set of gauges and then they will all match. I will fit them up in a spare gauge housing that I have. The issue with my fuel gauge is the sender which I will have to replace as well. Also going for the GPS speedo in case the new front wheel that I get does not have a cable outlet (electronic)

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Pat Conlon

That's also my plan Mark. I'm on my 3rd speedo and it's starting to act funny. I know well the warning signs.
Rather than getting it rebuilt I think I too will go the GPS route along with a matching tach and gas gauge.

I like Speed Hut's dual gauge setup but instead of going with a volt meter/gas gauge combo I'm going to ask them if I can get a oil temp/gas gauge combo.  I like the idea of knowing my minimum oil temp when my oil gets to proper operating temp (190-200*) before I wind the 1350 out in the kookaloo zone. I don't care about max oil temp.
The eBay small rectangular red digital volt gauge will suffice for my charging status.

Mark, I will follow your mod closely. Take pictures. Remember to order the GPS speedo remote set button Tim (axiom-r) mentioned in his GPS write up.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

aviationfred

Urban Legend...... I do believe that SpeedHut will program your actual up to date mileage when you order the Speedo.

Pat..... SpeedHut makes a 3 3/8" diameter oil temp/fuel gauge combo.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

simi_ed

Pat, did you get any of your speedos rebuilt by the San Diego guys?  Just got mine back, hope I didn't throw good money after bad ...
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

Pat Conlon

Thanks Fred, I'll look thru their website again....

Hey Ed, no, I've not had one rebuilt yet....
Over the years I've been collecting them (the low mileage ones) as they come up on FleaBay.

I know several folks who have used the San Diego Foreign Speedo folks for their FJ speedo rebuilds and they all speak very highly about their service.
No worries laddie.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3