News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Oil leak found, must split the engine case (picture heavy)

Started by SkyFive, January 17, 2010, 11:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyFive

I bought this FJ1100/1200 off of Craigslist last week with known mechanical issues.

One of which was an oil leak and possible probable valve stem seal leaking. There was a heavy puff of blue smoke on start up that quickly disappeared.
I devoted this weekend to finding the oil leak. I found two, one at the oil filter housing and another where the engine cases meet between the countershaft and clutch push rod, both were significant.

There is also some engine noise (I know! I know! it's normal) that I want address, primarily the starter chain and primary chain. I also want to detail the engine and this is easier with it removed.
I was told that a previous owner had installed a 1200 kit or bored it to 1200 or something to that effect so I am also curious about that. So, I made the decision to pull the engine down for needed repairs.

I found the source of the blue smoke on start up.

I also confirmed that this is in fact a 1200 bore, loosley measured 76.87 with a digital caliper (on top of cylinder). I believe it to be a Wiseco kit. Yeah! And the cylinders are smooth with no ridges.

I also found the scoring on the number three camshaft journals on both the intake and exhaust cams.

I also found the center two or three cylinder head nuts finger tight. Hmm?
Some corrossion under the battery box, my dampner chain had frozen and broke. I want to keep this bike as close to original as possible. Does anyone have a spare?

The heat baffle between the cylinder head and carburators is missing also, luckily the brackets are still in place. Anyone have a spare? I suppose I could fabricate one of those if I had to.

Kopfjaeger

dont have any spares , that cam looks a bit suspect, the groove and all, just wanted to say thanks i aint seen inside an fj yet, cant pull mine down at the moment, good luck hope all goes well, she looks clean in the pics, nice and shiny :good2:

VMS

I believe that the "scoring" you are seeing may be a factory oil galley/path.  I'll have to see if I have any extra cams to verify my thoughts. The factory cylinder head studs often stretched over time and with re-torqueing, so that may be your problem there. A Wiseco 1188cc (1200) piston calls for a bore size of 77mm, could be it.

Jim
Jim Bucher
VMS Motorsports
1986 FJ1200
2 FJ powered Legends cars

andyb

Definitely looks like 77mm wisecos to me.  Just installed a set.

Arnie

Skyfive,

Are you asking only for spare parts source?
I don't have any spares that you'd likely need, and you'll probably have to buy the bits you need new.
There are a couple of dealers who give us discounts and Randy (randy@rpmracingca.com) is a list member and seems to help folks out regularly.
You seem to know what you're doing with the engine, and I haven't seen any other questions in your post.
Nice pics by the way and your bike seems to be in very good condition.

Cheers,
Arnie

ren-dog

First up I'd be checking everything with a straight edge; cases, barrels, head.
Next you'll have to be cleaning all the oil galleries.
If you look at the lower case you will see 3 large allen key plugs that seal your oil galleries.
That score mark on your cam is not supposed to be there.

I'd be suspecting whoever overhauled it last was less than competant and didn't clean it thoroughly.
Also check your oil pump and the pressure relief valves and don't forget to flush the oil cooler too.
Ditto on the head stud length and diameter.
The bores are too shiny so honing should also be on the to do list.
Love the paint job, looks really schmicko.
ren-dog out
I remember the world before Workplace Health & Safety.
ren-dog

racerrad8

I have responded below.

Randy - RPM

Quote from: SkyFive on January 17, 2010, 11:00:01 PM
I bought this FJ1100/1200 off of Craigslist last week with known mechanical issues.

I devoted this weekend to finding the oil leak. I found two, one at the oil filter housing and another where the engine cases meet between the countershaft and clutch push rod, both were significant.

I have found on a couple of occasions that if the transmission bearing dowel pin is not placed into the case properly it keeps the case separated in that side and creates a leak.

There is also some engine noise (I know! I know! it's normal) that I want address, primarily the starter chain and primary chain. I also want to detail the engine and this is easier with it removed.

You should replace both chains while you have it apart; starter drive & timing. You should also replace the starter drive chain guide as it is probably worn out too. The timing chains will need to be inspected to see if replacement is warranted. You also need to look at the start drive unit. The rubber cush-drive inside gets hard as a rock and allows noise from there also; it would be a good time to address that while the cases are split.

I was told that a previous owner had installed a 1200 kit or bored it to 1200 or something to that effect so I am also curious about that. So, I made the decision to pull the engine down for needed repairs.

I also confirmed that this is in fact a 1200 bore, loosley measured 76.87 with a digital caliper (on top of cylinder). I believe it to be a Wiseco kit. Yeah! And the cylinders are smooth with no ridges.

They are Wiseco pistons. The bores will have a high gloss/smooth shine due to the top ring having a chrome face. The cylinder should be measured for size, round and taper. This will determine your next step.

I found the source of the blue smoke on start up.

You will also need to look at the valve guide(s) to make sure they are still secure in the cylinder head. Any loose guide will have oil coming from between it and the head casting.

I also found the scoring on the number three camshaft journals on both the intake and exhaust cams.

Most of the time this is caused by a foreign particle to fall into the valve cover bolt hole during removal of a dirty valve cover. Since then are both in the third journal that is my diagnosis. If it was due to a dirty rebuild, the damage would be most likely found at the final pressurized oil passage the #1 journal. It is not that big of a deal. I actually machine a groove similar to the groove similar to the groove found on the #1 journal to increase oil film on the cam. The cam should be cleaned up and the head might need some touch-up; nothing major there.

I also found the center two or three cylinder head nuts finger tight. Hmm?  

It probably wasn't torqued correctly the first time. It must be torqued in the proper sequence or it will not compress the gasket properly.

The heat baffle between the cylinder head and carburators is missing also, luckily the brackets are still in place. Anyone have a spare? I suppose I could fabricate one of those if I had to.

I have heat shields and the rubber grommet to hold the shield in place as well as all of the other parts you need to go through the engine. I also have the spin on oil filter adapter to address your oil filter leak.

Shoot me an email directly to randy@rpmracingca.com; I look forward to hearing from you.

Randy - RPM

SkyFive

Thanks for all the input guys. I have no experience with motorcycle engines but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :good: I didn't get to do any work on it tonight because I had to work today. I'll post more pictures as my work progresses and ya'll keep the input coming, that is why I started this thread.

I did find one thing that still has me scratching my head that I wanted to ask about. This engine had about three or four metal head gaskets, I'm assuming Cometic, on it. Do you think this was to provide clearance or do Cometic head gaskets come that way? I plan on checking the quench on reassembly because of this.

Randy, Thanks for the reply. I will definetly need some parts. I'm keeping a running list and plan on ordering after everything is apart and evaluated. I will be in touch with you next week.

racerman_27410

The FJ uses a layered metal head gasket... i believe its three pieces in one.

Kookaloo! (you gonna get yours back  :good2: )

Frank

Quote from: SkyFive on January 18, 2010, 09:52:50 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I have no experience with motorcycle engines but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :good: I didn't get to do any work on it tonight because I had to work today. I'll post more pictures as my work progresses and ya'll keep the input coming, that is why I started this thread.

I did find one thing that still has me scratching my head that I wanted to ask about. This engine had about three or four metal head gaskets, I'm assuming Cometic, on it. Do you think this was to provide clearance or do Cometic head gaskets come that way? I plan on checking the quench on reassembly because of this.

Randy, Thanks for the reply. I will definetly need some parts. I'm keeping a running list and plan on ordering after everything is apart and evaluated. I will be in touch with you next week.

andyb

Quote from: SkyFive on January 18, 2010, 09:52:50 PM

OEM head gasket is 3 layers of metal, kinda crimped together in a couple spots.  Stock spec is .030", for reference.

The Cometic gaskets that I've seen looked more like traditional gaskets of a papery substance with metal rings at the cylinder bores.

SkyFive

I found time to work on my FJ last weekend. I was able to get the engine removed without dropping it with a motorcycle jack and my wife helped me sit it on my work bench. I don't have pictures of that operation but here is what it looked like afterwards.

As I was removing the engine I saw a line near the upper rear engine mount boss, I was hoping it was a casting flaw...then I saw the silicon sealer and I knew then....

The inside...

Must have been a real genius to thunk up this repair #%^@&*

And the surprises just keep on coming....

Here are some more pictures of the internal components. Most of them are salvagable I believe, I still have to clean them up and check my tolerances. The primary chain was real "floppy", I'm sure that it was the source of my clatter although, I wouldn't have been surprised to find a drunk man with a hammer in there at this point. I also found a transmission bearing that had began to spin, the locator, a small roll pin, had sheared and the hole it was in was elongated (see pictures). The crankshaft journals appear as though a polish will clean them up, I may decide to install new bearings and let it ride. I have located and purchased a good engine case set and alternator (my alternator is a two bolt and the 1987 is a three bolt).
I'm hoping to get by with all new bearings, circlips, chains, guides, valve guides, seals and gaskets. That remains to be seen as I'm sure I will find at least another surprise or two before all is said and done but, I remain committed. I'll keep you posted as my work progresses.