News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Noise from the front

Started by casper, June 03, 2015, 01:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

casper

Good day buddies

I have a strange weird issue again (like always)

Once again, please excuse by bad english, my home language is Afrikaans.

Ok, so here goes.

I got the bike about 5 weeks ago, could not really ride it because of numerous problems with it, but most of them are now solved. However, I have this really bad sound coming from the front. so I ripped the front wheel of, inspected the callipers, and cleaned them whilst I was at it, I also inspected the brake disks, and the wheel bearings, and greased them, and added charge for oil that makes the grease nice and thin. I used proper expensive bearing grease, I even lubed the speedo cable real nicely. as this sounds like a bearing which is about to seize up on me.

Then, the problem did not go away. Today, I thought no, this sound seems like it is coming from the speedometer, so, I stopped, and removed the speedo cable inner, from the outer. and whalhaaa.. problem solved.

What is going on here??| :dash2: :dash2: :dash2: :dash2: :dash2:

Please assist me brothers!
Casper Jordaan

1984 - Yahama FJ1100
1982 - Kawasaki K1 2-Stroke
2005 - Hyosung GT650S
1981 - Suzuki DR500
2011 - Jonway Laguna
2010 - Jonway Spray
1999 - Sundiro XDZ
1994 - Yamaha DT50
1980 - Kawasaki AR80

FJmonkey

Sounds like the death howl of the speedo. Some have had luck lubricating the back of the speedo. Others found a new/used speedo. Others repaired them like our shop in Southern California can do. Others have installed a GPS speedo. Does your speedo jump around at all?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

red

Quote from: casper on June 03, 2015, 01:31:50 PMGood day buddies
I have a strange weird issue again (like always)  I have this really bad sound coming from the front.  I even lubed the speedo cable real nicely. as this sounds like a bearing which is about to seize up on me.
Then, the problem did not go away. Today, I thought no, this sound seems like it is coming from the speedometer, so, I stopped, and removed the speedo cable inner, from the outer. and whalhaaa.. problem solved. What is going on here??  Please assist me brothers!
Casper,

When the speedometer runs dry of lubrication, it howls in protest.    :biggrin:    You can turn the cowling upside down and add lubricant to the instrument, through the cable fitting.  It is rather easy.
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=12579.msg125048#msg125048

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

casper

Thanks for the replies. No, it does not jump at all.
Casper Jordaan

1984 - Yahama FJ1100
1982 - Kawasaki K1 2-Stroke
2005 - Hyosung GT650S
1981 - Suzuki DR500
2011 - Jonway Laguna
2010 - Jonway Spray
1999 - Sundiro XDZ
1994 - Yamaha DT50
1980 - Kawasaki AR80