News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

New owner of first FJ

Started by Super, June 07, 2015, 06:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super

Greetings from Ontario,

I took a chance and purchased an 86FJ sight unseen that has under 20,000 kilos and hasn't been used in over 10 years.  The price was right, the bike is complete and looks to have been stored carefully.  The gas in the tank had been treated and it didn't smell too wonky plus the guy who owned it was mature like me and appeared genuine.  He had suffered an accident years ago which limited his ability to ride so he parked the 1200.

I just sold my XJ900 (83) and had gone over it from stem to stern.  My new bike needs the usual, tires, hoses, caliper seals.  It has the same calipers and carbs as the 900 so no surprises for me.  I have the carb rack off, the float bowls were terrible but the home made  soda blaster cleaned them up quickly followed by some serious probing to clean the blocked choke enrichment passages.

I will post some pics soon.

I need a shop manual, some preliminary searching online for a pdf was unsuccessful.  Anyone have a link?  One of the turn signals is loose, I'd like to see how the bulb holder is attached behind the fairing.

Once I get it running and confirm that there are no serious issues, I will start looking at the tires, brakes etc.  None of the plastic bits are broken or cracked.  The gauges are crystal clear, I dumped the oil and filter, no gremlins came out, the only leak appears to be the clutch slave, which I understand is fairly common and easily fixed.

Thanks,

Dave

86 FJ1200 in progress
76 Naked GL1000 daily driver
83 XJ900 sold last week

Zwartie

Welcome to the forum Dave? Where are you in Ontario? There's a good number scattered throughout this great Province and you'll find lots of support from this group as a whole and the local (Ontario) members as well.

Zwartie
London, ON.

Quote from: Super on June 07, 2015, 06:24:59 PM
Greetings from Ontario,

I took a chance and purchased an 86FJ sight unseen that has under 20,000 kilos and hasn't been used in over 10 years.  The price was right, the bike is complete and looks to have been stored carefully.  The gas in the tank had been treated and it didn't smell too wonky plus the guy who owned it was mature like me and appeared genuine.  He had suffered an accident years ago which limited his ability to ride so he parked the 1200.

I just sold my XJ900 (83) and had gone over it from stem to stern.  My new bike needs the usual, tires, hoses, caliper seals.  It has the same calipers and carbs as the 900 so no surprises for me.  I have the carb rack off, the float bowls were terrible but the home made  soda blaster cleaned them up quickly followed by some serious probing to clean the blocked choke enrichment passages.

I will post some pics soon.

I need a shop manual, some preliminary searching online for a pdf was unsuccessful.  Anyone have a link?  One of the turn signals is loose, I'd like to see how the bulb holder is attached behind the fairing.

Once I get it running and confirm that there are no serious issues, I will start looking at the tires, brakes etc.  None of the plastic bits are broken or cracked.  The gauges are crystal clear, I dumped the oil and filter, no gremlins came out, the only leak appears to be the clutch slave, which I understand is fairly common and easily fixed.

Thanks,

Dave

86 FJ1200 in progress
76 Naked GL1000 daily driver
83 XJ900 sold last week

Ben Zwart
London, ON
1992 FJ1200
1977 KZ200

Sabre093

Welcome aboard as Ben said we are strong in Ontario...we have 2 Maintence Clinics a year Spring and Fall and this year were planing a Camp and ride http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=13609.0
our last clinic link is this one
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=13628.0
Welcome to Kookaloo!!!!!!
2009 FJR 1300
1992 FJ 1200
1987 FJ 1200 Sold
1986 FJ 1200 Sold
1985 Venture Royale
1976 GoldWing
1986 FZ 750
1986 GPZ 900
1984 Honda Nighthawk S 750
1982 Honda Nighthawk 450

LarryFJ1990

Larry L.

FJmonkey

Dave, welcome to our digital campfire. I am partial to the '86 and the ambulance colors, sounds like you got a good deal on your FJ. Make sure you put new tires on before you ride it. 10 years is way too old for rubber that needs to stick to the road.

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Tiger

:hi: Hi and welcome fellow Ontarian...congratulations on your new ride and finding this awesome site :good2:

What part of this great Canadian province do you reside in...we may have someone close by to help you, if needed.

I'm in Erin, SW of Orangeville...

John.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!

Super

What part of this great Canadian province do you reside in...we may have someone close by to help you, if needed.

Thanks for the replies, I'm in Ottawa.

fj johnnie

We do have an avid "collector" in the Greater Napanee area. He is also an encyclopedia of information on the FJ.

paulfj03

Welcome Dave  :hi:,

I am in Napanee, just under 2 hours away. There are also a couple active members up that way too.

You'll find the FJ just as easy to work on as the xj... well ... close to it anyway... It WILL have a little more umph, though.

We have quite a helpful crew here that usually has all the answers nice and handy... so just fire away.....

Us Ontario members like to get together a couple times a year for a good ride or 2, and for technical hands on help with maintenance issues, swap parts, etc. Feel free to join in anytime!

paulfj03

Quote from: fj johnnie on June 09, 2015, 04:32:57 PM
... an avid "collector" ...

Speaking of collections!!! :biggrin: :blum1:

You should take a pic of yours lined up! THATS a collection!

:drinks:

fj johnnie

Sabre093

Speaking about clinic's the fall one is Tenativly planned for Sept 12 in Brantford...details to follow with a new post......ride will be a set soon too...
2009 FJR 1300
1992 FJ 1200
1987 FJ 1200 Sold
1986 FJ 1200 Sold
1985 Venture Royale
1976 GoldWing
1986 FZ 750
1986 GPZ 900
1984 Honda Nighthawk S 750
1982 Honda Nighthawk 450

A11an0n

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Fj Ontario group, try and attend the 'Camp and Ride' if possible,  lots of good people here!

Dan
1986 FJ1200
2007 Yamaha WR250F

aviationfred

Welcome to the group.  :hi:

As previously posted there are a number of members within a few hours of you that will lend support.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

fuel80guy

I'm also located in ontario and have 3 fjs but I'm not a collector,,,,more like a hoarder of fjs