News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

New Modification Format

Started by GhostMerc, April 01, 2015, 11:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would it be a good idea to make a new modification instruction format?

Yes, As long as I don't have to do the work
11 (68.8%)
Yes, I'll help out
3 (18.8%)
No, part of the joy in the forum is the search function
1 (6.3%)
No, get out of here with your shenanigans
0 (0%)
Instructions?
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

GhostMerc

Spring is here....kind of, and it's time to start searching the forum for useful mods.

I think it would be nice to have a standard format for modifications, once a popular one has been confirmed.  Part of the problem is that several modifications are posted in numerous places, and usually without all the information needed.  The other problem is that generally, people all have a slightly different way of completing a project.  Basically, I'm volunteering to go through these and update them for future use.  I think it would be nice for anyone looking to do these mods, and maybe it will help to keep us from having repeat questions all the time.  (I know I'm guilty of that for sure)

Some of these mods include:
Relay mod (coil/ headlights)
Front end mod light (17" FJ/FZR wheel, blue dots, forks, etc.)
Front end mod heavy (upside down forks, wheel, brakes, bars, etc.)
CBR mirror mod
F4i rear shock swap

Basically, a title, the benefits, parts needed, tools needed, and easy to follow instructions.  Something that can be printed out, taken to eBay to find the parts, then hardware store for tools and hardware, then the garage to be completed.

I've attached an idea for it; using the mirror mod for clarity.  I'm open to suggestions.
1986 FJ1200
2015 FJ-09

FJmonkey

Looks like "Standard Work Instructions", I used to make them in my past life... The moderators and grand Pooba (Marsh) will need to agree on this and all of its variations. You rolled the dice, lets see where it goes...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Steve_in_Florida

I'm on board!

The more stuff like this, the better.

:good:

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

The General

Quote from: GhostMerc on April 01, 2015, 11:43:23 AM
Spring is here....kind of, and it's time to start searching the forum for useful mods.

I think it would be nice to have a standard format for modifications, once a popular one has been confirmed.  Part of the problem is that several modifications are posted in numerous places, and usually without all the information needed.  The other problem is that generally, people all have a slightly different way of completing a project.  Basically, I'm volunteering to go through these and update them for future use.  I think it would be nice for anyone looking to do these mods, and maybe it will help to keep us from having repeat questions all the time.  (I know I'm guilty of that for sure)

Some of these mods include:
Relay mod (coil/ headlights)
Front end mod light (17" FJ/FZR wheel, blue dots, forks, etc.)
Front end mod heavy (upside down forks, wheel, brakes, bars, etc.)
CBR mirror mod
F4i rear shock swap

Basically, a title, the benefits, parts needed, tools needed, and easy to follow instructions.  Something that can be printed out, taken to eBay to find the parts, then hardware store for tools and hardware, then the garage to be completed.

I've attached an idea for it; using the mirror mod for clarity.  I'm open to suggestions.
I like the way you act & think Trevor.    :i_am_so_happy:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

X-Ray

I think this is a great idea, probably overdue if you ask me. I know we have the files section, and a dedicated known working mods section would be immensely useful. (I'm using the sample CBR mirror mod myself right now). Along with "how to instructions", owners could supplement the mod file with images of how the completed mod actually looks.

Keeping all of this in its own subsection would make it an easy to find for new owners, and help us existing aficionados  :good2:
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

giantkiller

Yes please, please, please.

Thank you!
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

GhostMerc

My current life deals with standardized work instructions.  Not the most fun thing in the world, but they can be extremely useful at times.

There's a lot of knowledge in these pages, but it doesn't do a whole lot of good if it's hard to pass on and communicate to others.

I'll start working my way through the files section soon.
1986 FJ1200
2015 FJ-09

fj johnnie

Great idea. I just did a YZF front end on my 90. I took some time to glean several posts to gather all the info I needed. It is enjoyable and informative but does take a lot of time sifting through irrelevant info. ( irrelevant to my search ). Cheers to you!

CanDman

Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make

Steve_in_Florida

What kind of assistance can we (I) provide?

Pictures? Measurements? Proofreading? Recipes? Coffee? Moral support?

Steve

(popcorn)
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

GhostMerc

I'm trying to think of the best way to go about doing this.

The next one I'll work on is the F4i rear shock change.  I'll ask for more specifics in each modified thread.  Once I get it nailed down, I'll move onto the next one.  (I'm starting with the ones that currently affect me)

I'll also work on a blank Word file that can be used by anyone on the site as a guide.
1986 FJ1200
2015 FJ-09

moparman70

very good idea ---- with so much work that will have to go into making all the revision -- how about a small  suggested donation to go along with usage.   

( which reminds me I am probably due )

again looks nice the way you have it --

GhostMerc

Ok, here is a template in word format.  Hopefully it will help get things started.
1986 FJ1200
2015 FJ-09