News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hello from Maine (long)

Started by markmartin, January 18, 2010, 11:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markmartin

Hi All,
I've been a  member of this sight for quite a while, so I thought it was about time I introduce myself. First I'd like to thank Marsh for setting up and maintaining this site. It has been a valuable source of information and I definatley have a better bike because of it, and all the advice that so many members have contributed via my questions and those of others.  My comfort zone for mechanics dosen't go too far beyond lawnmower maintenence and oil changes but with some advice and a clymers manual I can be talked through and even figure out some things to keep the bike running smooth.  I've owned my 89 for two years now.  My last bike before this was a KDX 250 back in the mid 80's and before that an  '81 CB 750F that I bought new and put about 50K on and sold in '87
Marriage, work and kids kept me occupied enough till about 2007 when I got the bike bug back and set my sights on an FJR. Then finacial reality set in ( see 'kids' above) and I started looking for something that would be in the same category but more affordable.  I spotted an 89 FJ in decent shape and price in the local swap and shop and gave the guy a call.  All sounded good except the clutch wasn't working.  Slightly skeptical, I told him that I'd want to try it before buying it so he said he'd get it to the shop and give me a call. When I did not hear from him  I called him and he informed me that the mechanics buddy at the shop had bought it!  I continued to look for another FJ for a few months with no avail and had kinda given up on finding one when I checked the swap and shop magazine and, there it was, the same bike for sale again.  I guess it was meant to be.
Since I bought it, --- new tires, chain and sprockets, coils, spark plugs and wires, horn and horn wire harness, battery, 1.0kg front (sonic) springs, fork seals, brake pads, wheel and swing arm bearings, Carbs sycronized, valves adjusted, new fluids, CBR mirrors, Eagle 'Windlip' screen, Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat, Givi Arrowbag tankbag, Givi Arrowbag saddlebags, and repaired cracked plastic on the fairings and other misc. plastic.  I'm looking at a Penske 8900E (Sport Shock) for the spring.  As with the other repairs and upgrades, I get my information from the FJ group(s), so thank you!   About the only thing that has gone wrong with the bike is that I had to install a clutch slave kit (Thank you Randy) and I knew exactly what was wrong when it was failing thanks to the FJ group--so it was an easy and stress free repair.
The majority of my available riding time is spent commuting, the occasional Saturday ride, and the very ocassional ride with my wife riding pillion. If anyone is ever riding through the Bangor Maine area, drop me a line.  I check this website fairly frequently.

Mark Martin
'89 FJ1200

Mark Olson

Mark,

welcome to the  group.

watch out for those sneaky mechanics at the dealer , they will try to snake your bike from you.

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

racerman_27410

Hey Mark,

Nice intro.... :good2:  i have been looking at new bikes and to be honest even without the financial reality
i still cannot find anything that sparks my soul like my "old" FJ !

Good Kookaloo for you mate!

Frank

ssuv93

Hello, Mark!
    Murray from Kenduskeag.  Maybe we can meet some time this spring?  I am ordering a D&D exhaust system this month and hope to be able to install it in time to ride. I am recovering from surgery I had in Dec.  Glad to hear of some one local.  I have seen only two FJ's last year in the area. 

Kookaloo!
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill  (falsely attributed to George Orwell)

"oderint dum metuant"  Lucius Accius, 40B.C. +-  as said by Caligula & Cicero

markmartin

Hi Murray,
I'd seen an earlier post from you.  I figured you'd chime in if you were still riding. A ride this spring sounds good. I was out last Saturday and the and the Saturday before enjoying the balmy 40 + degree weather--just a 5 mile loop to get the fluids circulated, but satisfying for February.  I've got a little work to do on mine as well but I'll be ready to go by the time the snow melts and they get most of the  sand cleaned off the roads.

Good luck with the recovery.

We'll talk  more this spring.  I'll hit you on this forum or give me a call, my number is in the phone book.

Mark Martin '89
Hampden, Me